E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Jb+ GIAC stage 1 flash or Dinan Stage 2? Anyone?

10-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #45
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyscho_Powers View Post
What year is your car and do you still warranty in your car? And what about your idle? Is it rough? When you start in the morning it is rough? Also do you have an oil cooler? Do you see a temp. Increase after having the flash?

I'm kinda leaning towards the flash and not cuz I'm just cautious that the flash will throw a fault code later down the road the also the longevity of my motor. Other than that, the price seems a bit steep cuz OTD I'm looking at around close to $1200.. Does GIAC have a special or sale sometime soon?

Thanks
My car is still in warranty. Idle is just a smooth as stock, and it's never been rough AM or not. My temps did not increase, but the weather here is getting colder so who knows until June. I can't think of one bad thing about the tune regarding driveability except that it reveals the limitation of the stock tires and suspension. I got your call but have been out and about, will try and get back with you. I don't think that GIAC will run any specials any time soon... the only one I ever heard of was the free stock tune with the release of the flashloader.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #46
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.myrr View Post
If there were serious issues why would I leave my tune on before going to the dealer? This is true for any aftermarket tune. Your reasoning is flawed.

There is absolutely no reason why a removed GIAC tune would be any more detectable than any other options out there. It is non-invasive as well, no tampering with the ECU etc... Also it's worth mentioning that GIAC does not throw tuner codes - can the piggybacks say that? I had no desire to purchase a tune that I would have to install and also buy more hardware to erase and monitor fault codes. I don't want to update the tune, tinker with it, or have to adjust any settings either, hence GIAC was right for me*.

If I was building a race car, maybe Vishnu's product would be more ideal, having more control over the tune and being able to accomplish things that GIAC cannot. If I was hella rich i'd put all DINAN stuff on and march on over to the dealer with a smile on my face! That said, i'm not rich, my car is a DD, so I chose a tune that is more conservative and easier to use. The thing is, anyone shopping for a tune will make a decision based on their own needs, budget, etc - simply tossing out comments like "GIAC can void warranty" (when any tune can accomplish this) doesn't really help anyone. Also, comparing the n54 platform with whatever has gone on with Audi is similar to comparing apples to oranges.
Maybe you dont understand how GIAC works ???? Its the same in BMW and the same in Audi. Your ECU gets GIAC software and there is NO way to remove it unless you actually PAY GIAC dealer to remove it for you before the dealer visit and PAY them again to install it back in. And what happens if you car needs to get towed to dealer ?

with piggyback ECU mod it takes 20-30 minutes to remove and 20-30 min install back for free of course, and with JB+ it takes 2-5 minutes to do the same. pretty much no traces left......
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #47
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My GIAC dealer charges $50 bucks, and I have AAA. This is better than "pretty much no traces" IMO. How do I not understand how GIAC works when I stated that I would remove the tune? I don't know anything about Audi's platform, so I can't comment on how they read tunes and codes. It's still a different platform so I don't see how it applies to compare people's issues with Audi and GIAC to BMW and GIAC. More than likely if someone got their Audi warranty voided it was because they left their tune on. So that would be on them, not GIAC.

I enjoy the banter and all - but let's keep it informative and not turn this into another one of those threads.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #48
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.myrr View Post
My GIAC dealer charges $50 bucks, and I have AAA. This is better than "pretty much no traces" IMO. How do I not understand how GIAC works when I stated that I would remove the tune? I don't know anything about Audi's platform, so I can't comment on how they read tunes and codes. It's still a different platform so I don't see how it applies to compare people's issues with Audi and GIAC to BMW and GIAC. More than likely if someone got their Audi warranty voided it was because they left their tune on. So that would be on them, not GIAC.

I enjoy the banter and all - but let's keep it informative and not turn this into another one of those threads.
Yeah they left the tune in the car.....but my point is that flashloader (switcher) is not 100% safe as many people think.

And for me personally it wasn't an option to bring my car to GiAC dealer twice if I have to do to dealer.....it was my choice with Audi because it was much more reliable car.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #49
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I totally agree that a lot of people are misled regarding the flashloader - a lot of people initially think that the "stock mode" will save them. Hopefully they do their research before handing over their car to get new turbos, etc. You bring up a really good point actually. Some people don't have the option of going back and forth to a GIAC dealer, and it would be a bit tedious regardless! For me, the GIAC dealer is not that far away, and I am placing a certain amount of faith in the car, as well as the tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #50
old account 1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 463whp 2001.5 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyscho_Powers View Post
Congrats man! Make sure not to floor it all the time bro.. When you say faster, do you mean lower end or all through the power band? How was first and second gear? And also I think you should wait for the oil cooler before you head over to the dyno. The oil cooler will make a difference in bwetween runs and by that you prolly get your best numbers.. Damn I'm jealous!

Man I'm still pondering whether I should get the giac flash or not? I could it, as early as Wednesday.. Hmm
We have a 30 day money back guarantee as stated here. I would urge you to try it out, then decide.
Appreciate 0