E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Jb+ GIAC stage 1 flash or Dinan Stage 2? Anyone?

10-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335i coupe

Jb+ GIAC stage 1 flash or Dinan Stage 2? Anyone?

I'm new to tuning and new to BMW. Cutting straight to the chase, I have a CPO 335i (1 yr of original warranty + 2 additional years warranted by dealer) recently bought and I'm just blown away by the stock car performance it pulls. As for every enthusiast, there is always room for improvement therefore, I need nothing major, but something to show for an improvement over stock. In this case, I came upon these just 3 solutions will do it. I'm torn between the jb+, giac flash and the Dinan stage 2. I have no experience between any of these products and need a experienced owner answer or a logical answer to justify my investment in these products. I know there have been a great amount of debate and which one is better but really wanted to bring up the issue once more, hoping it won't rattle anyone. What are the advantages and disadvantages? Pros and cons?

Is a quick and simple like the jb+ well worth and reliable than the more expensive giac flash and the well over priced Dinan stage 2? I mean after all, stock power is pretty darn adequate.

I will be on the dyno tomorrow after an oil change to see what my best peak numbers are.

Any advices or recommendations? Speak up.

Thanks every1

Last edited by Pyscho_Powers; 10-26-2010 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

If you're willing to pay for GIAC or Dinan then you should definitely also be looking at the JB3 and the Procede V4

For the record: I had Dinan Stage 2 and now I have the Procede. I took a 2000 dollar hit on dropping the Dinan but I have no regrets to this day
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
If you're willing to pay for GIAC or Dinan then you should definitely also be looking at the JB3 and the Procede V4

For the record: I had Dinan Stage 2 and now I have the Procede. I took a 2000 dollar hit on dropping the Dinan but I have no regrets to this day
Why didn't you keep the Dinan? U most cherish that thing, cuz u drop serious greens, u must went past your warranty as I recall? Jb3 sounds nice but I'm just worry about the fault codes and all.. Never had experienced with one but I'm just being super super cautious. I really don't want to screw up and it is really reliable even say after a year or so forth?

Thanks man
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
Iwantm3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

you can delete fault codes
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Dinan is crap, go with GIAC. My buddy claudio has a fully modified 135i and he has just recently switched from Dinan to GIAC stage 2. He says the difference is night and day. He said that dinan lost power on the track while the GIAC stays strong though out the track day. This is just what I heard from him, but it is worth a try and if you don't like it you can get your money back.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflowt5 View Post
Dinan is crap, go with GIAC. My buddy claudio has a fully modified 135i and he has just recently switched from Dinan to GIAC stage 2. He says the difference is night and day. He said that dinan lost power on the track while the GIAC stays strong though out the track day. This is just what I heard from him, but it is worth a try and if you don't like it you can get your money back.
GIAC Stage 2 requires FMIC and DPs. It is not comparable to any Dinan tune. This is like saying Goodyear is crap because a 285mm Bridgestone grips better than a 205 Goodyear.

Adding: Assuming you're going to keep stock hardware, get Dinan Stage 2 if you want the Dinan warranty, otherwise get GIAC Stage 1. If you're planning hardware upgrades like FMIC, DPs or meth, the decision becomes a lot more complicated.

Last edited by GaryS; 10-27-2010 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

I had a procede and went with GIAC stg 1, in the end i wasn't comfortable opening my dme and taking things apart under the engine bay. To many things to break IMO.

The GIAC pulls great! Lots of power, and I don't have to mess with the car at all. The GIAC tune will not throw any codes what so ever so you won't have to worry about clearing them. IMO the flash is better for the engine in the long term, thats why I went with it. I also really like GIAC's reputation and years of engineering in the racing world as well as the street.

The only downfall is, you have to take it to the GIAC dealer if you want the car flashed back to stock and are nervous about the dealer finding the tune. You can buy the map switcher, which i bought, and it works well. This allows you to switch to a "stock like map" and the car feels like stock, hopefully stopping the dealer from doing any searching for the tune.

I've had my car into the dealer for spark plugs, oil change, etc and the dealer even wrote over my flash and never said a word. There are other members here who have had more work done to the car and the dealer never found the flash. To this day I haven't heard of any dealer ever finding a GIAC flash.

Many of these tunes offer a free money back guaruntee so you could just buy a procede and try it then get a GIAC flash and try it and keep the one you like.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335 Montego

I'll make it easy for you. All your options will make your car much faster than it is now. The only reason to go with Dinan is if you feel concerned about tuner codes and hiding the fact that your car is chipped. Dinan will also provide you with consequential damage protection and thats why its prohibitively expensive for most people.
      10-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

GIAC
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
opdare01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E92 AW

I have the Dinan S2 and don't track my car...if you are looking for a proven product with a warranty and not want to remove your tune everytime you go to the dealer, Dinan S2 all the way...My roomate has a stock 335i and when he drives my car he says it feels like a totally different beast...just my thoughts...

To add, I went through exactly what your going through...I bought the Procede Rev 2 V4, installed it and it felt too racey for me...not as smooth as I would like for a daily driver...so I sold it and went straight to the dealer to get my Dinan S2 tune...I believe Dinan is having a 20% off sale for tunes so better jump on it...
2009 335i E92 | Alpine White | Black Dakota Leather | M-Tech Kit | M3 Lip Spoiler | BMW Black Grilles | BMW PE | Dinan S2| BSH OCC | Sport Package | Premium Package | Logic7 | iDrive | VMR 19" V710 Gunmetal | Sports Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shifters | Tinted Windows | GP Thunder 8500K V2 Angel Eyes

Last edited by opdare01; 10-27-2010 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyscho_Powers View Post
I'm new to tuning and new to BMW. Cutting straight to the chase, I have a CPO 335i (1 yr of original warranty + 2 additional years warranted by dealer) recently bought and I'm just blown away by the stock car performance it pulls. As for every enthusiast, there is always room for improvement therefore, I need nothing major, but something to show for an improvement over stock. In this case, I came upon these just 3 solutions will do it. I'm torn between the jb+, giac flash and the Dinan stage 2. I have no experience between any of these products and need a experienced owner answer or a logical answer to justify my investment in these products. I know there have been a great amount of debate and which one is better but really wanted to bring up the issue once more, hoping it won't rattle anyone. What are the advantages and disadvantages? Pros and cons?

Is a quick and simple like the jb+ well worth and reliable than the more expensive giac flash and the well over priced Dinan stage 2? I mean after all, stock power is pretty darn adequate.

I will be on the dyno tomorrow after an oil change to see what my best peak numbers are.

Any advices or recommendations? Speak up.

Thanks every1
Please post your dyno when complete. Where did you end up going in Seattle?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
I had a procede and went with GIAC stg 1, in the end i wasn't comfortable opening my dme and taking things apart under the engine bay. To many things to break IMO.

The GIAC pulls great! Lots of power, and I don't have to mess with the car at all. The GIAC tune will not throw any codes what so ever so you won't have to worry about clearing them. IMO the flash is better for the engine in the long term, thats why I went with it. I also really like GIAC's reputation and years of engineering in the racing world as well as the street.

The only downfall is, you have to take it to the GIAC dealer if you want the car flashed back to stock and are nervous about the dealer finding the tune. You can buy the map switcher, which i bought, and it works well. This allows you to switch to a "stock like map" and the car feels like stock, hopefully stopping the dealer from doing any searching for the tune.

I've had my car into the dealer for spark plugs, oil change, etc and the dealer even wrote over my flash and never said a word. There are other members here who have had more work done to the car and the dealer never found the flash. To this day I haven't heard of any dealer ever finding a GIAC flash.

Many of these tunes offer a free money back guaruntee so you could just buy a procede and try it then get a GIAC flash and try it and keep the one you like.
So how long have you had the giac reflash? Honestly, any problems or check engine codes? Planning to upgrade? How is the mpg? How is your idling and start up? Will this jepordize my longtivity of the engine? And also how much did you pay? I was really going to pull the trigger today, but I wanted to cool my jets and really again think this over.. Sounds very very tempting and promising.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opdare01 View Post
I have the Dinan S2 and don't track my car...if you are looking for a proven product with a warranty and not want to remove your tune everytime you go to the dealer, Dinan S2 all the way...My roomate has a stock 335i and when he drives my car he says it feels like a totally different beast...just my thoughts...

To add, I went through exactly what your going through...I bought the Procede Rev 2 V4, installed it and it felt too racey for me...not as smooth as I would like for a daily driver...so I sold it and went straight to the dealer to get my Dinan S2 tune...I believe Dinan is having a 20% off sale for tunes so better jump on it...

When you mean "racey" what do you mean? Please clarify

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #14
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san6279 View Post
Please post your dyno when complete. Where did you end up going in Seattle?
Wsup man, came back from the dyno (carb conn) in Kirkland after 5 pulls and my best run was:

268hp/281ft tq

You sti thinking about the Dinan stage 2? Right now, I'm kinda leaning towards the giac flash

Best,

Burt

Last edited by Pyscho_Powers; 10-27-2010 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
kanecvl
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 535d

Quote:
So how long have you had the giac reflash? Honestly, any problems or check engine codes? Planning to upgrade? How is the mpg? How is your idling and start up? Will this jepordize my longtivity of the engine? And also how much did you pay? I was really going to pull the trigger today, but I wanted to cool my jets and really again think this over.. Sounds very very tempting and promising.

Thanks
I have GIAC for just over a month. No problems or codes. Search GIAC. Check out this link below
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445467
      10-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #16
opdare01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you mean "racey" what do you mean? Please clarify

Thanks
When I had the Procede it was on using 6AT 6-16 and I know they've been making improvements so I can only give you my opinion from when I had it.

The car was definitely fast and more powerful but was jerky in first and second gears. You would have to have a light foot to control it or else your head would jerk back. It was as if the tune was designed for drag racing. I wanted a smoother first and second gear since this was my daily driver. The rest of the gears were okay.

Before people start reppin' Procede, I have nothing against them. Like I said, they have made many improvements since I last had it so I cant comment on the current Procede running the latest software.
2009 335i E92 | Alpine White | Black Dakota Leather | M-Tech Kit | M3 Lip Spoiler | BMW Black Grilles | BMW PE | Dinan S2| BSH OCC | Sport Package | Premium Package | Logic7 | iDrive | VMR 19" V710 Gunmetal | Sports Steering Wheel w/ Paddle Shifters | Tinted Windows | GP Thunder 8500K V2 Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #17
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:

That's funny. Cause I feel like the Procede is way smoother than the Dinan
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #18
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i E90

Quote:
Wsup man, came back from the dyno (carb conn) in Kirkland after 5 pulls and my best run was:

268hp/281ft tq

You sti thinking about the Dinan stage 2? Right now, I'm kinda leaning towards the giac flash

Best,

Burt
I had my car dyno'd at Carb Conn in Kirkland as well, and then got the GIAC flash. Check out my thread here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441190.

Go with GIAC, you won't regret it!!!

san6279 check out my thread for everything concerning Cantrell Motorsports, and Carb Conn...great times at both locations!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

Edit- Not even going to touch this one... LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #20
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

268hp/281ft tq

Best,

Burt

Yes, still considering Stage 2. All this talk has again peaked my interest. Shoot, if I had known you were heading to Carb Conn I would have tried to get there too. Let me know when you go in for your next one after you get tuned up (you know you're going to). I should probably hit the dyno now with Stage 1 just to see. How much did it cost?

Anyway, I contacted Alex again and asked if I could buy Stage 2 now (20% off ends 10/31) and have it installed at a later date. Takes a week or so to get the aux oil cooler parts in. Anyway, have not heard back yet as his work week starts tomorrow. Still on the fence, but....

Also considering Dinan airbox. Love the look of that thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #21
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.myrr View Post
I had my car dyno'd at Carb Conn in Kirkland as well, and then got the GIAC flash. Check out my thread here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441190.

Go with GIAC, you won't regret it!!!

san6279 check out my thread for everything concerning Cantrell Motorsports, and Carb Conn...great times at both locations!
Hey, thanks for the link and info. Am thinking about stopping by Carb Conn to dyno my Dinan Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #22
opdare01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
That's funny. Cause I feel like the Procede is way smoother than the Dinan
Like I said in my previous post, I know Vishnu has made some improvements in later software versions so I can only comment on when I did have it on which was when Maps 6-16 came out...not trashing other tunes...just my personal preference...OP is asking for opinions so this is my two cents...
Appreciate 0