E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Jb+ GIAC stage 1 flash or Dinan Stage 2? Anyone?

10-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #23
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
That's funny. Cause I feel like the Procede is way smoother than the Dinan
Interesting. I have never seen anyone say that before, but I have seen many posts that say the opposite. Vishnu advertises that Procede "rivals the best flash tunes" for smoothness and drivability.

Adding: I remembered this post (about GIAC Stage 1) among others. When I had my Dinan tune installed, I also felt it was smoother than stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
It's the smoothest tune I've ever driven. My wife even asked me about what happened to my car once the GIAC tune was flashed. There's different driving styles where some of the piggies don't address, like going from 3/4 throttle to half throttle, to 3/4. From my experience, piggies tend to be kind of jerky and get confused with driving styles other than WOT. When I got flashed with the newest BMW version, and I was driving around in stock form, I realized right then and there that GIAC is actually smoother than stock.

Last edited by GaryS; 10-28-2010 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #24
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyscho_Powers View Post
So how long have you had the giac reflash? Honestly, any problems or check engine codes? Planning to upgrade? How is the mpg? How is your idling and start up? Will this jepordize my longtivity of the engine? And also how much did you pay? I was really going to pull the trigger today, but I wanted to cool my jets and really again think this over.. Sounds very very tempting and promising.

Thanks
I've had the GIAC flash for a little over 3 months now. My mpg is the same unless I drive the car hard. I've found with the new power I can't get enough of it so i drive faster The car runs better with the flash, idle is perfect, no codes at all and the turbo lag is completely gone. It has great, consistant power everywhere in the powerband, and a smooth, stock feel. I am planning to go GIAC stg 2 this spring, just saving some $ for the supporting mods right now. IN my opinion, any tune will jeapordize your engine life eventually but with the GIAC, I think its the safest. They run a low amount of boost, still get good power, and never throw a code. They are a reputable company that puts a lot of time into the flash. Lots of racing teams use thier flashes as well on the BMW 335's and other OEMS. Go for it, you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #25
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
I've had the GIAC flash for a little over 3 months now. My mpg is the same unless I drive the car hard. I've found with the new power I can't get enough of it so i drive faster The car runs better with the flash, idle is perfect, no codes at all and the turbo lag is completely gone. It has great, consistant power everywhere in the powerband, and a smooth, stock feel. I am planning to go GIAC stg 2 this spring, just saving some $ for the supporting mods right now. IN my opinion, any tune will jeapordize your engine life eventually but with the GIAC, I think its the safest. They run a low amount of boost, still get good power, and never throw a code. They are a reputable company that puts a lot of time into the flash. Lots of racing teams use thier flashes as well on the BMW 335's and other OEMS. Go for it, you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
thanks for the input.. as far as checking out your thread and didnt recall seeing the Stage 1 boost pressure. i just had my car dynoed yesterday and the stock boost is around 8.5 - 9 psi.. isnt the boost for the stage 1 around 14-15 psi? do you still have warranty for your car? and how much did you pay to get it install? this is really a tough decision cuz im planning to keep my car for at LEAST another 5 years and i was just thinking of maybe getting an M3 (used one) by then. costs more, but there totally 2 different cars. i mean, i really want to get it, but again in actual reality i dont know if something like that will coincide with my daily driving objectives. hmmm? its really nice to have, but honestly on average i take highway alot to work and on my AVERAGE speed on the highway i do someway around, 65-80mph and i have "older passengers" in the car which i dont want to slam the throttle. Sucks that i work in a restaurant and im there like 8-10 hours a shift and dont get to play as often as others. SHUCKS! i wish that i can have 2 cars, one for play, one for work.. haha but anyways enjoy your tune.. imma have to give it a little more thoguht.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #26
BobS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the input.. as far as checking out your thread and didnt recall seeing the Stage 1 boost pressure. i just had my car dynoed yesterday and the stock boost is around 8.5 - 9 psi.. isnt the boost for the stage 1 around 14-15 psi? do you still have warranty for your car? and how much did you pay to get it install? this is really a tough decision cuz im planning to keep my car for at LEAST another 5 years and i was just thinking of maybe getting an M3 (used one) by then. costs more, but there totally 2 different cars. i mean, i really want to get it, but again in actual reality i dont know if something like that will coincide with my daily driving objectives. hmmm? its really nice to have, but honestly on average i take highway alot to work and on my AVERAGE speed on the highway i do someway around, 65-80mph and i have "older passengers" in the car which i dont want to slam the throttle. Sucks that i work in a restaurant and im there like 8-10 hours a shift and dont get to play as often as others. SHUCKS! i wish that i can have 2 cars, one for play, one for work.. haha but anyways enjoy your tune.. imma have to give it a little more thoguht.

thanks
I didn't have the boost checked on the dyno so no I cant' tell you at what boost that was. I cost $800 plus a hour labor for the tune/install. So like $905? Honestly the 335 is easily tunable to be faster than a m3 imo, I dont' know if its worth the extra coin for a m. Also it seems like the new m will have a turbo straight 6 engine as well. It won't jerk you back in the seat, your passengers won't even know you have it tuned unless you really get on the car hard. Good luck with your decision.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #27
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san6279 View Post
Yes, still considering Stage 2. All this talk has again peaked my interest. Shoot, if I had known you were heading to Carb Conn I would have tried to get there too. Let me know when you go in for your next one after you get tuned up (you know you're going to). I should probably hit the dyno now with Stage 1 just to see. How much did it cost?

Anyway, I contacted Alex again and asked if I could buy Stage 2 now (20% off ends 10/31) and have it installed at a later date. Takes a week or so to get the aux oil cooler parts in. Anyway, have not heard back yet as his work week starts tomorrow. Still on the fence, but....

Also considering Dinan airbox. Love the look of that thing.
haha yeah man... ill pm you with my number.. but yeah man the airbox looks nice but man.. $1k for that thing.. BALLER STATUS! if i were you, and like what bobS and mr.syrr said GIAC are good flashes too.. i mean your're prolly gonna be in the same ballpark with the flash minus the air filter. but im not here to alter your decision just to clarify some proven numbers.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #28
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
I didn't have the boost checked on the dyno so no I cant' tell you at what boost that was. I cost $800 plus a hour labor for the tune/install. So like $905? Honestly the 335 is easily tunable to be faster than a m3 imo, I dont' know if its worth the extra coin for a m. Also it seems like the new m will have a turbo straight 6 engine as well. It won't jerk you back in the seat, your passengers won't even know you have it tuned unless you really get on the car hard. Good luck with your decision.
you have the flashloader handheld device dont you? that price came with the flashloader? cuz i stop by the giac authorized dealer and it was like $800 for flash + $95 for labor + $150 for flash loader + tax. Also in curiosity if you were to bring in your car into the dealer to a oil change for example, and if they update your software, doesnt that overwrite your giac flash? and any harm to the ecu altogether? and if bmw updates there software would giac update theres too? to my understanding, you would have to go back and have it reflash right? or does your flashloader have your giac stage 1 in it? sorry to hammer you with a boatload of questions. just super super anal about this. just wanted to get it right.

thanks man
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #29
BobS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
you have the flashloader handheld device dont you? that price came with the flashloader? cuz i stop by the giac authorized dealer and it was like $800 for flash + $95 for labor + $150 for flash loader + tax. Also in curiosity if you were to bring in your car into the dealer to a oil change for example, and if they update your software, doesnt that overwrite your giac flash? and any harm to the ecu altogether? and if bmw updates there software would giac update theres too? to my understanding, you would have to go back and have it reflash right? or does your flashloader have your giac stage 1 in it? sorry to hammer you with a boatload of questions. just super super anal about this. just wanted to get it right.

thanks man
I have the flashloader, I paid for it later. That price is what I paid. If bmw updates the software they will write over your flash. The flash will be gone and you will have to get it flashed again from the GIAC dealer. There is no harm to the ecu, you never have to touch it. The GIAC flash is programmed through the OBDII port near your hood release. The flash loader cannot load a new flash in for you, its more of a map switcher, allowing you to switch between Stg1 and a "stock like" map. Its very easy to use and I plan to switch to "stock like" anytime I bring the car to the dealer.

I had my car in the dealer and they updated the software. My flash was gone. The shop charged me $50 to have it flashed again. Now the car is back to Stg 1. I haven't had hardly any issues with my car while its been under warranty, only a fuel pump that went at 26k miles, now I have 47k miles. I have a little under a year left of warranty.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #30
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
haha yeah man... ill pm you with my number.. but yeah man the airbox looks nice but man.. $1k for that thing.. BALLER STATUS! if i were you, and like what bobS and mr.syrr said GIAC are good flashes too.. i mean your're prolly gonna be in the same ballpark with the flash minus the air filter. but im not here to alter your decision just to clarify some proven numbers.
Definitely steep for the airbox. Probably won't do that. Am working with Alex right now to see if I can get Stage 2 scheduled for tomorrow before the end of the Dinan sale. I'm sure GIAC is excellent, I've just decided to go the Dinan route.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #31
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.myrr View Post
I had my car dyno'd at Carb Conn in Kirkland as well, and then got the GIAC flash. Check out my thread here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441190.

Go with GIAC, you won't regret it!!!

san6279 check out my thread for everything concerning Cantrell Motorsports, and Carb Conn...great times at both locations!
Man, your the guy I've been wanting to talk to for awhile.. I tried to sent you a message on your profile didn't know you received it yet? I know you in the Seattle area, how much did you get the while thing altogether? I've seen your thread on the flash but as far as the power goes, are those numbers including other mods? I plan to just stick with the flash and nothing else.. Is it cool if we hang or sometime cuz I like to see the performance in person? Maybe grab lunch or something too... Let me know thanks man
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #32
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Definitely steep for the airbox. Probably won't do that. Am working with Alex right now to see if I can get Stage 2 scheduled for tomorrow before the end of the Dinan sale. I'm sure GIAC is excellent, I've just decided to go the Dinan route.
Sounds great, keep me posted on the numbers and if your planning to go to carb conn to dyno your car with the Dinan stage 2 let me know I would like to see the official numbers maybe by that time I'll have a giac or something or not... Haha good luck bro
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #33
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Be it GIAC or Dinan flashes...

do any of them produce improvements in the low power band, like at or around 1500 to 2000K RPMs? Or do I have to get to 3K to 3500 to really appreciate the effects. I'm not looking to track, more like around town fun!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #34
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
do any of them produce improvements in the low power band, like at or around 1500 to 2000K RPMs? Or do I have to get to 3K to 3500 to really appreciate the effects. I'm not looking to track, more like around town fun!
I read the throttle si also remapped, and as you can see here, the torque is much higher even from lower RPMs:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432686

Last edited by tscdennab; 10-28-2010 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #35
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
I am wondering the same thing. I saw a dyno on this forum with GIAC Stage 1 vs. Stage 2 and the Stage 2 was almost identical to Stage 1 until about 3500RPM.
Exactly right, saw and thought the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #36
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sounds great, keep me posted on the numbers and if your planning to go to carb conn to dyno your car with the Dinan stage 2 let me know I would like to see the official numbers maybe by that time I'll have a giac or something or not... Haha good luck bro
FYI, getting Stage 2 tomorrow morning. Will try and head over to Carb Conn in the next couple weeks and will send you the results.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #37
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
FYI, getting Stage 2 tomorrow morning. Will try and head over to Carb Conn in the next couple weeks and will send you the results.
Nice man... I bet you cant sleep tonight. And yes, please keep me posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #38
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i E90

Quote:
Man, your the guy I've been wanting to talk to for awhile.. I tried to sent you a message on your profile didn't know you received it yet? I know you in the Seattle area, how much did you get the while thing altogether? I've seen your thread on the flash but as far as the power goes, are those numbers including other mods? I plan to just stick with the flash and nothing else.. Is it cool if we hang or sometime cuz I like to see the performance in person? Maybe grab lunch or something too... Let me know thanks man
The price was the same as everyone else here, except I got the "stock file" for free. That promo is over, so if you want the stock mode on the switcher, that will be extra. My car is bone stock except for the x-pipe and tune... stock max boost was 9.32 and Stage 1 was 14.22. We are in the same boat, I want to retain my warranty, and don't plan on doing any other major mods due to dealer concerns. So, for me GIAC was a natural choice.

Although given my positive experience with GIAC so far, if I were to mod further, GIAC Stage 2 would still be my tune of choice. So simple, set it and forget it. The car is much quicker and overall driveability is the same if not better. My MPG seems to be down about .7 ... that's probably due to my heavy foot though! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #39
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
The price was the same as everyone else here, except I got the "stock file" for free. That promo is over, so if you want the stock mode on the switcher, that will be extra. My car is bone stock except for the x-pipe and tune... stock max boost was 9.32 and Stage 1 was 14.22. We are in the same boat, I want to retain my warranty, and don't plan on doing any other major mods due to dealer concerns. So, for me GIAC was a natural choice.

Although given my positive experience with GIAC so far, if I were to mod further, GIAC Stage 2 would still be my tune of choice. So simple, set it and forget it. The car is much quicker and overall driveability is the same if not better. My MPG seems to be down about .7 ... that's probably due to my heavy foot though! Good luck!
"Natural" choice to keep the warranty are piggyback tunes and mostly JB+, GIAC can void warranty. Its fairly new with 335, but its well known in Audi world and people got their warranty voided with GIAC and flashloader.

Of course nothing is gonna happen if you come for some basic work to dealer, but if you have some serious engine/turbo issues, it wont take long for dealer to find out that you have GIAC (thast is if they want to). If 335s were more reliable, I would go with GIAC, but I recently had a new set of turbos put in....and i wouldnt want to do that with GIAC loaded on my ECU (god knows what they check on the car for 2 weeks that its been in the shop)

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 10-29-2010 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #40
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice man... I bet you cant sleep tonight. And yes, please keep me posted.
Got Stage 2 today. Will be getting the oil cooler in two weeks when parts come in. SA said just to take it easy on the throttle until then. Heavy traffic on the way home, but it definitely seems faster. I did notice my oil temp got up to about 245. Don't believe I've noticed it that high before and normally runs around 220. Wonder if I should wait for oil cooler install before I take a trip to the dyno.

Still undecided on the airbox. If anything, may wait until it goes on sale someday. I asked, and there is no real savings in labor if installed at the same time as oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #41
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Got Stage 2 today. Will be getting the oil cooler in two weeks when parts come in. SA said just to take it easy on the throttle until then. Heavy traffic on the way home, but it definitely seems faster. I did notice my oil temp got up to about 245. Don't believe I've noticed it that high before and normally runs around 220. Wonder if I should wait for oil cooler install before I take a trip to the dyno.

Still undecided on the airbox. If anything, may wait until it goes on sale someday. I asked, and there is no real savings in labor if installed at the same time as oil cooler.
Congrats man! Make sure not to floor it all the time bro.. When you say faster, do you mean lower end or all through the power band? How was first and second gear? And also I think you should wait for the oil cooler before you head over to the dyno. The oil cooler will make a difference in bwetween runs and by that you prolly get your best numbers.. Damn I'm jealous!

Man I'm still pondering whether I should get the giac flash or not? I could it, as early as Wednesday.. Hmm
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #42
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:

What year is your car and do you still warranty in your car? And what about your idle? Is it rough? When you start in the morning it is rough? Also do you have an oil cooler? Do you see a temp. Increase after having the flash?

I'm kinda leaning towards the flash and not cuz I'm just cautious that the flash will throw a fault code later down the road the also the longevity of my motor. Other than that, the price seems a bit steep cuz OTD I'm looking at around close to $1200.. Does GIAC have a special or sale sometime soon?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #43
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Congrats man! Make sure not to floor it all the time bro.. When you say faster, do you mean lower end or all through the power band? How was first and second gear? And also I think you should wait for the oil cooler before you head over to the dyno. The oil cooler will make a difference in bwetween runs and by that you prolly get your best numbers.. Damn I'm jealous!

Man I'm still pondering whether I should get the giac flash or not? I could it, as early as Wednesday.. Hmm
I probably shouldn't comment on difference yet. Like I said, I was in heavy I-5 traffic and really never got on it. May have the opportunity later today to test a little better. I'll wait to dyno until I've got the cooler.

Now I just need intake, intercooler, and the list goes on. Probably not.

Last edited by san6279; 10-30-2010 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: Error
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #44
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
"Natural" choice to keep the warranty are piggyback tunes and mostly JB+, GIAC can void warranty. Its fairly new with 335, but its well known in Audi world and people got their warranty voided with GIAC and flashloader.

Of course nothing is gonna happen if you come for some basic work to dealer, but if you have some serious engine/turbo issues, it wont take long for dealer to find out that you have GIAC (thast is if they want to). If 335s were more reliable, I would go with GIAC, but I recently had a new set of turbos put in....and i wouldnt want to do that with GIAC loaded on my ECU (god knows what they check on the car for 2 weeks that its been in the shop)
If there were serious issues why would I leave my tune on before going to the dealer? This is true for any aftermarket tune. Your reasoning is flawed.

There is absolutely no reason why a removed GIAC tune would be any more detectable than any other options out there. It is non-invasive as well, no tampering with the ECU etc... Also it's worth mentioning that GIAC does not throw tuner codes - can the piggybacks say that? I had no desire to purchase a tune that I would have to install and also buy more hardware to erase and monitor fault codes. I don't want to update the tune, tinker with it, or have to adjust any settings either, hence GIAC was right for me*.

If I was building a race car, maybe Vishnu's product would be more ideal, having more control over the tune and being able to accomplish things that GIAC cannot. If I was hella rich i'd put all DINAN stuff on and march on over to the dealer with a smile on my face! That said, i'm not rich, my car is a DD, so I chose a tune that is more conservative and easier to use. The thing is, anyone shopping for a tune will make a decision based on their own needs, budget, etc - simply tossing out comments like "GIAC can void warranty" (when any tune can accomplish this) doesn't really help anyone. Also, comparing the n54 platform with whatever has gone on with Audi is similar to comparing apples to oranges.
Appreciate 0