BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

I Wasn't Expecting It, but... I AM Impressed!

Disclaimer: This is 100% subjective, opinionated but is not intended to offend anyone, if I do it is unintentional.

Got to drive the same F80 that RPiM5 drove. First let me say to anyone who ordered a Mineral Grey, you will without a doubt like the car. It suits this 4-door body so well, and more distinctly than regular 4-series. My pics don't even come close to how good this color looks.

The color was so impressive to me. I do not like grey, silver, black, etc. but after seeing this one, I am pretty much set on MG, just superb.

Firing the car up with the door open, the exhaust note was very pleasant, nothing like a diesel or 4-cylinder car that some claim. The interior is typical BMW of course; this one did not have full leather and I think it robs from what this car supposed to be as a dd. The hard plastic is classic BMW and unpleasant, the material and color coordination of the interior is very subpar. For example, the middle console is composed of three different materials of three different shades; black leather with deviating stitching near the driver's knee, carbon fiber looking plastic in the middle towards the passenger's arm and hard plastic towards the passenger's knee. Not to mention the awful headliner, I had dismissed UAE's comments about the headliner thinking how bad could it possibly be, but he is right, just terrible. This uncoordinated materials made me think this is not a $80K car frankly, so unfortunate. Full leather is a must.

For comparison purposes, in none of my P-cars I had full leather, never felt I was missing something, the materials are that good. And if you get full leather, the interior coordination, materials, everything is first rate. You get what you pay for, but for $80K this car should have offered more for the interior quality.

The best part was the driving. The perfect dual character I was hoping for. You can so easily cruse at 40 mph and with just couple of click-click on the pedals, drop to 2nd gear at rocket towards triple digits (no I have not, for the record, did that). Very comfortable, responsive and obedient. I just could not detect any meaningful lag in the turbo, I never thought this was a turbo engine, it is just another car with fantastic response and readiness to play.

The seating position I was so worried about, was perfect, I really loved it. The steering is also just faultless, the word 'precise' certainly comes to mind, but it is more than that; it is very stable, great balance between filtering unwanted vibrations and feedback (for an EPS anyway), very confidence inspiring.

Dynamic suspension was also quite good, every mode was well balanced. Never harsh or punishing, taut for sure, again great balance. If static shocks are between Sport and Sport+ calibration, you have nothing to worry about, I'd still go for the dynamic version though. Even in sport mode, the bridge joints or pot holes were never an issue.

Cabin noise was good, no complaints. When you WOT the exhaust sound is very good, you may want it louder, but the tone for me was a very good.

And finally, the brake pedal feel was dead on, just perfect for me, nothing like my 645, which I nearly despise.

I came out of the car, stood and looked at it, and my first thoughts were about how unexpectedly impressed I was and literally thought that this is a more desirable car than the Cayman even in GTS trim.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS
Disclaimer: This is 100% subjective, opinionated but is not intended to offend anyone, if I do it is unintentional.

Got to drive the same F80 that RPiM5 drove. First let me say to anyone who ordered a Mineral Grey, you will without a doubt like the car. It suits this 4-door body so well, and more distinctly than regular 4-series. My pics don't even come close to how good this color looks.

The color was so impressive to me. I do not like grey, silver, black, etc. but after seeing this one, I am pretty much set on MG, just superb.

Firing the car up with the door open, the exhaust note was very pleasant, nothing like a diesel or 4-cylinder car that some claim. The interior is typical BMW of course; this one did not have full leather and I think it robs from what this car supposed to be as a dd. The hard plastic is classic BMW and unpleasant, the material and color coordination of the interior is very subpar. For example, the middle console is composed of three different materials of three different shades; black leather with deviating stitching near the driver's knee, carbon fiber looking plastic in the middle towards the passenger's arm and hard plastic towards the passenger's knee. Not to mention the awful headliner, I had dismissed UAE's comments about the headliner thinking how bad could it possibly be, but he is right, just terrible. This uncoordinated materials made me think this is not a $80K car frankly, so unfortunate. Full leather is a must.

For comparison purposes, in none of my P-cars I had full leather, never felt I was missing something, the materials are that good. And if you get full leather, the interior coordination, materials, everything is first rate. You get what you pay for, but for $80K this car should have offered more for the interior quality.

The best part was the driving. The perfect dual character I was hoping for. You can so easily cruse at 40 mph and with just couple of click-click on the pedals, drop to 2nd gear at rocket towards triple digits (no I have not, for the record, did that). Very comfortable, responsive and obedient. I just could not detect any meaningful lag in the turbo, I never thought this was a turbo engine, it is just another car with fantastic response and readiness to play.

The seating position I was so worried about, was perfect, I really loved it. The steering is also just faultless, the word 'precise' certainly comes to mind, but it is more than that; it is very stable, great balance between filtering unwanted vibrations and feedback (for an EPS anyway), very confidence inspiring.

Dynamic suspension was also quite good, every mode was well balanced. Never harsh or punishing, taut for sure, again great balance. If static shocks are between Sport and Sport+ calibration, you have nothing to worry about, I'd still go for the dynamic version though. Even in sport mode, the bridge joints or pot holes were never an issue.

Cabin noise was good, no complaints. When you WOT the exhaust sound is very good, you may want it louder, but the tone for me was a very good.

And finally, the brake pedal feel was dead on, just perfect for me, nothing like my 645, which I nearly despise.

I came out of the car, stood and looked at it, and my first thoughts were about how unexpectedly impressed I was and literally thought that this is a more desirable car than the Cayman even in GTS trim.
Wow. Thanks for the write up. That last line about the cayman sums it's up for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Sick bro! I agree about the headliner.

Are you getting one??

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Several of you guys on here have done a very good job at reviewing the car. Here is another great one. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

The F8X is the real deal. BMW did a great job on this car and the ///M legacy is alive and well
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Sick bro! I agree about the headliner.

Are you getting one??
I am pretty sure I will get one, waiting on the M4 to test and it is a choice between that and M5.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I am pretty sure I will get one, waiting on the M4 to test and it is a choice between that and M5.
Sweet! Can't go wrong which ever way you go.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
ThomasM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

The carbon fiber bits on the inside are real no?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
great write-up, thank you sir! I've been doubting lately, but hearing the impression that the color really shines on the m3/m4 (combined with some fantastic photos recently)... excited.

I'm really torn on that full leather tho. You make a point to note that it should be seriously considered due to the "uncoordinated materials" - referencing what UAE had complained about - but UAE has the full leather package, so if even with the package it still is left as a jumble of "uncoordinated materials" then I'm not sure it's worth dropping the ~2500? What are your thoughts there? I do agree that the full leather does add that extra something on the interior (having finally seen it in person the other day).
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Several of you guys on here have done a very good job at reviewing the car. Here is another great one. Thanks.
Yeh I second that comment. Some really good, balanced reviews from members. It's great.

I'm learning all the time from these reviews about what spec I will get.

MG was already in the bag
Full leather now a must - thanks FTS
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

That MG does look really good!

I really want YMB but seeing these pics, I'm officially on the fence....

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #13
MSportDC
///MSport-DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2012 X5 35d

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Hey - is this BMW of Silver Spring?? Looks like it...
      06-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #14
thebigcheese
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I hope my dealer gets one in soon so i can drive it :/
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #15
MSportDC
///MSport-DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2012 X5 35d

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Nevermind - I just saw the pic and confirmed that it is BMW of Silver Spring.
      06-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #16
boogie1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

agree the alcantara headliner should at least be an option. silly question but one thing i really dislike in pics is the look of the standard brake anyone agree with that or do they look good in person?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #17
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Sweet! Can't go wrong which ever way you go.
Your input on the M5 has been swaying me towards F8x as I do quite a bit of track event But the interior of the M5 is so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasM4 View Post
The carbon fiber bits on the inside are real no?
I am not sure, but they looked like just some 3M slapped on to me, was too shiny for my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMrMark View Post
... so if even with the package it still is left as a jumble of "uncoordinated materials" then I'm not sure it's worth dropping the ~2500? What are your thoughts there? I do agree that the full leather does add that extra something on the interior (having finally seen it in person the other day).
I wish I could say, but I haven't seen full leather interior yet, hopefully the upcoming M4 will have it. From the pictures posted around Bimmerpost though, I am hoping it will bring a lot more coordination and more than just the dash as leather. As for the headliner, I do not think that changes, which may mean that if you really want something different, Individual options may be available, hopefully not for an arm and a leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportDC View Post
Hey - is this BMW of Silver Spring?? Looks like it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie1 View Post
agree the alcantara headliner should at least be an option. silly question but one thing i really dislike in pics is the look of the standard brake anyone agree with that or do they look good in person?
I think the brakes look pretty good, I like the blue color and the sizing of the front rotor/caliper is not out of place even with 19" rims. However, the rear caliper look laughably small; I was looking at a Carrera GT two days ago (just admiring), its parking brake caliper is larger than that of the F8x regular steel brake rear caliper
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #18
boogie1
Private First Class
Rep

i was thinking the same thing when i saw an m5 in the showroom, man those brakes look small my r8 rear rotor did look larger, dammit now i feel like i need the ccb!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #19
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie1
i was thinking the same thing when i saw an m5 in the showroom, man those brakes look small my r8 rear rotor did look larger, dammit now i feel like i need the ccb!
I'm curious about how many will actually have CCB's when this is all said and done.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #20
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'm curious about how many will actually have CCB's when this is all said and done.
Its CCB for me, no question.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #21
boogie1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
prob those that can deal with the sticker shock, they look great in action shots.the stock not so much.all the demo cars seem to have them so there pushing them pretty hard seems like. golds not my fav but blue to me is the worst color for them if i dont do ccb def painting red at least the stock ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #22
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie1
Quote:
prob those that can deal with the sticker shock, they look great in action shots.the stock not so much.all the demo cars seem to have them so there pushing them pretty hard seems like. golds not my fav but blue to me is the worst color for them if i dont do ccb def painting red at least the stock ones.
Or you could buy the OEM red calipers and sell your blue set. I'm keeping the gold set off my 335i. The OEM calipers are powder coated; paint will fade.
Appreciate 0