BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
Dr_zito
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 1M

1M + Boxster S - Thoughts?

Hi guys from southern South America.
I am considering purchasing a new Boxster S and would iike to receive comments and thoughts about it, given the fact that I already own a 1M.

What can I expect different? Are they VERY different?
PROS/CONS?
Has anyone driven extensively both cars?

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_zito
Hi guys from southern South America.
I am considering purchasing a new Boxster S and would iike to receive comments and thoughts about it, given the fact that I already own a 1M.

PROS/CONS?

Thanks for your input!
Seeing as the main competitor for the cayman R was the 1M, you might want to check out the many reviews from auto sites and mags that compared these two in their reviews.

Several of those mag articles are posted in these forums so hit up searchy and look around.

What is your intention for a boxster ? Daily driver? Track? Weekend car ? How does that compare with what you do in the 1m? Are you lookng to replacE the 1M or keep it.

Sounds like much more research is needed before you make a decision to purchase unless you have unlimited garage space and disposal income and like to collect cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Check post #70 from below link:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=815664&page=4

My personal impressions after a test drive in a Boxster S last year.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
Dr_zito
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Seeing as the main competitor for the cayman R was the 1M, you might want to check out the many reviews from auto sites and mags that compared these two in their reviews.

Several of those mag articles are posted in these forums so hit up searchy and look around.

What is your intention for a boxster ? Daily driver? Track? Weekend car ? How does that compare with what you do in the 1m? Are you lookng to replacE the 1M or keep it.

Sounds like much more research is needed before you make a decision to purchase unless you have unlimited garage space and disposal income and like to collect cars.
Will do thanks.
To reply...sometimes drive it to work, take it to the track. Weekend car as well.
I would like to keep the 1M for the time being.

I did some research, however, as passionate as I am with cars, research doesn´t always go with me as I have different opinions from what I see. I now remember Chris Harris´video 1M vs Cayman R where the 1M wins clearly and I assume there are many chaps wanting the Cayman instead of the 1M...
Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
Dr_zito
Argentina
Rep

Thanks Ozi, very good post!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

if you're not selling the 1M for it, go for it.
if you're selling the 1M for it, NO.
      06-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Sparks1M
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

I wouldn't. Cayman, I would, but I wouldn't let go of my M1.

Unrelated - I went past BMW Usados in a taxi in Bogota yesterday and they had an AW M1. A few hours later I walked around to check it out and it was gone. Gotta be quick!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
RaceCarDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 LBB 6 speed

I used to own a Cayman S, should have never sold it, best handling car there is except for a Lotus. the Cayman handles much better than a 911.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #9
LukeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Jay-K my sentiment exactly! If you're going to sell the 1M, NO WAY.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 11:49 PM   #10
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Boxster S is fun if you are not after straight line grunt. Topless and looks like an expensive sports car, eeally like the side air vent.

I didn't get it after a test drive is because I feel that its a bit gutless. I want to feel the rush of power. Brilliant handling though.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 02:36 AM   #11
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

A Cayman S is the reason a 1M isn't parked next to my 135i. It's a no compromise drivers car, although it could do with more HP.
      06-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_zito View Post

PROS/CONS?
Yes, and yes they are very different cars.

The Boxster S/ Cayman S/ Coxster feels slower that it is, underpowered. It's precise and efficient, massively composed in nearly all situations. It's an easy car to drive fast- you need to be either hugely aggressive or ham-fisted to get it out of shape, and it's easy to gather up once you do. Thrills come from the immediacy, precision, from dissecting a road and carrying pace. No chance a 1M could hang with an equally driven Coxster S down a bumpy back road.

The 1M is entirely different. It feels quicker than it is, overpowered. It's harder to drive quickly, and is often out of shape when you're pushing. It loves to go sideways. The two cars are nearly equally fast at the autocross, but I enjoy the 1M far more. Thrills come from the power, and from taming the beast. On the road I personally enjoy the 1M more 90% of the time, though on some roads it gets too out of shape and the Coxster is the superior experience.

I still prefer the 911's handling to the Coxster, though it depends how hard you're pushing. The newer 911s (especially 991) turn in nearly as well, but the Coxster feels (and is) smaller and transitions in a way they can't match. It's Achilles heel, however, is that it doesn't like to slide. When the back end lets go it pops sideways in an inefficient and pace robbing flare of wheelspin that requires instant correction. The 911, on the other hand, begs you to settle into a delicious slightly tail out drift with the hammer down under the same circumstances, catapulting you out of the corner. This additional chassis adjustability takes some time to access and master, but it's utterly addictive and for me easily breaks the tie between two great handling cars.
      06-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

If you can wait, I'd go for the Porsche 718 or the Alfa 4C Quadrifoglio Spider in 2016.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:18 AM   #14
smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_zito View Post

PROS/CONS?
Yes, and yes they are very different cars.

The Boxster S/ Cayman S/ Coxster feels slower that it is, underpowered. It's precise and efficient, massively composed in nearly all situations. It's an easy car to drive fast- you need to be either hugely aggressive or ham-fisted to get it out of shape, and it's easy to gather up once you do. Thrills come from the immediacy, precision, from dissecting a road and carrying pace. No chance a 1M could hang with an equally driven Coxster S down a bumpy back road.

The 1M is entirely different. It feels quicker than it is, overpowered. It's harder to drive quickly, and is often out of shape when you're pushing. It loves to go sideways. The two cars are nearly equally fast at the autocross, but I enjoy the 1M far more. Thrills come from the power, and from taming the beast. On the road I personally enjoy the 1M more 90% of the time, though on some roads it gets too out of shape and the Coxster is the superior experience.

I still prefer the 911's handling to the Coxster, though it depends how hard you're pushing. The newer 911s (especially 991) turn in nearly as well, but the Coxster feels (and is) smaller and transitions in a way they can't match. It's Achilles heel, however, is that it doesn't like to slide. When the back end lets go it pops sideways in an inefficient and pace robbing flare of wheelspin that requires instant correction. The 911, on the other hand, begs you to settle into a delicious slightly tail out drift with the hammer down under the same circumstances, catapulting you out of the corner. This additional chassis adjustability takes some time to access and master, but it's utterly addictive and for me easily breaks the tie between two great handling cars.
This!

Though I'm about a 100 years behind Pete in my driving skills, I have driven both a Cayman S and a 991 on a track. The Cayman S was lovely but lacked the thrills and excitement that my 1M provides in abundance. The 991 though blew my mind!! One controlled slide and corner under power and I was hooked for life! There's something truly magical about controlling that pendulous weight hanging off the back and using it to help you power through a corner (until it doesn't!).

If you already have a 1M and you're considering a P-car, I'd recommend a 911 (air cooled or not) rather than a Cayman/Boxter.
?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #15
RaceCarDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 LBB 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smq42 View Post
If you already have a 1M and you're considering a P-car, I'd recommend a 911 (air cooled or not) rather than a Cayman/Boxter.
I did the opposite, had a Cayman S and sold it for a 993 Turbo, now I just have to add the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #16
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
if you're not selling the 1M for it, go for it.
if you're selling the 1M for it, NO.
Agreed, my household stable was a 1M and new gen boxster non s(directed the ex towards it), my track day buddy later totaled his 135i and took in a new gen Cayman S; so very familiar with them. They are wonderful and the electro steering isn't so bad. As a supplement to the 1m its a great car, the seating position makes of the porsche it feel much more a "sports car" and its just perfect, the balance is amazing, a finely tuned car, perfect in its place and an easy car to drive fast, begs for more. It is no comparison to the 1M though, my friend often brings up the lack of gusto the Cayman S has to compared to his chipped 135 and its a far different character, 1M has more on tap(at least once modded) than it can ever hope to put down in a calm fashion, its a short wheel based hot rod mother f'er with a great suspension, LSD and room for 4. 1M is a brute and a blast with a very capable suspension to boot, Balotelli vs Lionel Messi(porsche).