BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

05-24-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Looking for Carbotech 1521 (Bobcats)? Any vendors here?

I'm surprised that these are more popular on the forum. I had them on my last car and they were great for aggressive street driving. I'm coming up on 80k miles on my OEM pads a rotors. I also need to do the bi-annual fluid flush. My pads are supposed be near replacement but I'm not 100% sure they are because I never actually measured them but it looks like I got a little meat on them left.

The rotors were measured about a year (10k miles) ago and had lots of life in them too. With 80k miles, would you just replace the pads or go with both pads and rotors considering that the rotors won't last too much longer.
      05-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: r53 s65e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I'm surprised that these are more popular on the forum. I had them on my last car and they were great for aggressive street driving. I'm coming up on 80k miles on my OEM pads a rotors. I also need to do the bi-annual fluid flush. My pads are supposed be near replacement but I'm not 100% sure they are because I never actually measured them but it looks like I got a little meat on them left.

The rotors were measured about a year (10k miles) ago and had lots of life in them too. With 80k miles, would you just replace the pads or go with both pads and rotors considering that the rotors won't last too much longer.
If your rotors are above 28.4mm leave them alone. They will be fine for one more set of pads. Usually rotors can take up to 2mm of wear. To measure the rotor, take the wheel off and insert a measuring caliper in the area where the brake heat shield plate has a kind of a scoop (driver side upper left area/passenger upper right).

Don't let pads go below 2mm-3mm (personally 4mm for me). Once you take the wheel off it should be easy to measure them.

For street driving, I would recommend stoptech street performance. Cheap and reliable.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Holy longevity, how do pads or rotors last 80k?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by r53s65e90 View Post
If your rotors are above 28.4mm leave them alone. They will be fine for one more set of pads. Usually rotors can take up to 2mm of wear. To measure the rotor, take the wheel off and insert a measuring caliper in the area where the brake heat shield plate has a kind of a scoop (driver side upper left area/passenger upper right).

Don't let pads go below 2mm-3mm (personally 4mm for me). Once you take the wheel off it should be easy to measure them.

For street driving, I would recommend stoptech street performance. Cheap and reliable.
Measurements from about a year ago were

LF - 29.17mm
RF - 29.18mm
LR - 23.25mm
RR - 23.25mm

Based on those measurements, they were worn only about 50% to the min thickness. So I guess I should be ok for awhile.

Reading a lot of good stuff about Hawk HPS pads so now I'm debating between the Bobcats and the HPS. HPS are significantly cheaper.