BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
bonb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange E92 M3

Coilover VS Sleeve

After reading online and some posts everywhere, I still have few questions regards to this.

1. What are the main differences between these two? Most of people are just saying that sleeve can have better ride and if you are not going to track, Coil is not much needed.

2. Just like short springs, but sleeve is a lot less harm for the shocks. How soon will the shocks getting bad and if need replacement, should I go for a softer Coilover (3-5k springs)?

3. What will be the best set up for sleeve? I just bought the car with KW sleeve. Is there a way to pair with camber plates or just stay with OEM shocks?

If I am wrong for some of the ideas please let me know. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonb View Post
After reading online and some posts everywhere, I still have few questions regards to this.

1. What are the main differences between these two? Most of people are just saying that sleeve can have better ride and if you are not going to track, Coil is not much needed.

2. Just like short springs, but sleeve is a lot less harm for the shocks. How soon will the shocks getting bad and if need replacement, should I go for a softer Coilover (3-5k springs)?

3. What will be the best set up for sleeve? I just bought the car with KW sleeve. Is there a way to pair with camber plates or just stay with OEM shocks?

If I am wrong for some of the ideas please let me know. Thanks!
Sleeves are basically just like installing lowering springs except you can adjust the ride height. It will wear out the factory shock faster than normal just as a lowering spring will. The lower the car is, the worse it is for the shock.

Coilovers are much better as the spring and shock are matched. You can also maintain shock travel at a lowered height without premature wear on the shocks. Also, coilovers have much better performance as it removes the stock shocks which are inadequate to handle any spring rate other than stock springs.
      05-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
bonb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Sleeves are basically just like installing lowering springs except you can adjust the ride height. It will wear out the factory shock faster than normal just as a lowering spring will.

Coilovers are much better as the spring and shock are matched. You can also maintain shock travel at a lowered height without premature wear on the shocks. Also, coilovers have much better performance as it removes the stock shocks which are inadequate to handle any spring rate other than stock springs.
Thanks, I guess this is what I have known but confused as well. A lot people are saying that sleeve is better than lowering spring, which I did not believe but could not find out.

I guess I will go for coil after the shocks are going bad. Thanks!

PS. I will have a set of KW sleeve over FS really soon! lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Ride quality on a good (and properly set up) set of coil overs is much better than OEM, IMO.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
bonb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Ride quality on a good (and properly set up) set of coil overs is much better than OEM, IMO.
Had e46 with coil do agree on that. Let's see about e90 stock first. Heard is better than e46.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Had e46 with coil do agree on that. Let's see about e90 stock first. Heard is better than e46.
yes it is, very good for street car.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
I have to disagree. Recently went from OEM Comp pack to KW V3 and I think the ride is a good bit worse. Seems very bouncy almost like when I had H&R Sport on my old car. I had them installed professionally. I then had the car corner balanced and aligned by one of the best shops around.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

kw arent really that great is more the problem i would think.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
kw arent really that great is more the problem i would think.
KW V3 is by far what most of the coil-over guys run on these cars. If a 3k price tag isn't enough for them to be great well I dunno lol. I have actually considered putting my comp pack suspension back on already.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I have to disagree. Recently went from OEM Comp pack to KW V3 and I think the ride is a good bit worse. Seems very bouncy almost like when I had H&R Sport on my old car. I had them installed professionally. I then had the car corner balanced and aligned by one of the best shops around.
I also went from OEM Competition to KW V3 (and then to Ohlin RT's). I found the opposite to be true. Mine weren't bouncy at all. They were well-damped for a street coil over. On really beat up roads near where I used to live, stock suspension would be all over the place no matter what setting I was in. My KW V3's absorbed them much better and the car felt more planted and stable.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I also went from OEM Competition to KW V3 (and then to Ohlin RT's). I found the opposite to be true. Mine weren't bouncy at all. They were well-damped for a street coil over. On really beat up roads near where I used to live, stock suspension would be all over the place no matter what setting I was in. My KW V3's absorbed them much better and the car felt more planted and stable.
Interesting. When I ride down the HWY I feel like I can see my hood bouncing up and down. I had guys commenting on how my car looked bouncy on the mountains. Maybe mine are f'd up.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Interesting. When I ride down the HWY I feel like I can see my hood bouncing up and down. I had guys commenting on how my car looked bouncy on the mountains. Maybe mine are f'd up.
Might have to adjust your rebound setting? 2 way adjustments were always frustrating for me to figure out. One of the best parts about upgrading to the Ohlins was the single adjustment valve. Makes things so much more simple.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Might have to adjust your rebound setting? 2 way adjustments were always frustrating for me to figure out. One of the best parts about upgrading to the Ohlins was the single adjustment valve. Makes things so much more simple.
Frankly "I" have not adjusted them at all. Maybe I need to take them back to the shop and ask them to check it out.

I'm mostly a street guy so Ohlins seem overkill
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #14
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Coupe

Quote:
This!
      05-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #15
bonb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
KW V3 is by far what most of the coil-over guys run on these cars. If a 3k price tag isn't enough for them to be great well I dunno lol. I have actually considered putting my comp pack suspension back on already.
I think some time can be really personal. One of my friends had V3 on and he some how hate it so much. Think that he jump from X5 with lowered spring to a track ready/almost track ready coilover, he think the ride is too hard and bouncy. After couple month of riding, he went back with stock again.

I do see people talk about the problem on the V3, but what would a better brand to go to or just get a cheap one for DD, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #16
bonb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I never had sleeve on before, just want to try out this time. If I dont like it, I will go for Coil. I will not change any settings from what I order. Since I will have softer spring with the right height of the car.

Regards to bouncy ride, I think most time I will do is keep the way factory recommended. Also, I will not go for and spring rate lower than 3K and higher than 7k. Too soft or too hard. Usually, as my exp. I will go for 3k spring and compress about inch to inch and half and make it more like 4-4.5K front and 4K for rear with minimal drop. At the same time, camber adjust to -2 or less to save some tires and better ride for local road.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #17
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I never had sleeve on before, just want to try out this time. If I dont like it, I will go for Coil. I will not change any settings from what I order. Since I will have softer spring with the right height of the car.

Regards to bouncy ride, I think most time I will do is keep the way factory recommended. Also, I will not go for and spring rate lower than 3K and higher than 7k. Too soft or too hard. Usually, as my exp. I will go for 3k spring and compress about inch to inch and half and make it more like 4-4.5K front and 4K for rear with minimal drop. At the same time, camber adjust to -2 or less to save some tires and better ride for local road.
Spring rate actually has very little to do with ride quality. Some coilovers like the Ohlins comes with higher spring rates but ride very comfortably. The real difference is in the quality of the shock and how it handles bumps.

Also, spring rates are different for different cars so you can't say spring rates within a certain range work for all cars.
      05-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #18
bonb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Spring rate actually has very little to do with ride quality. Some coilovers like the Ohlins comes with higher spring rates but ride very comfortably. The real difference is in the quality of the shock and how it handles bumps.

Also, spring rates are different for different cars so you can't say spring rates within a certain range work for all cars.
Sounds interesting. Thanks for pointing it out. More like I said, as my personal pick, I would not go for a harder rate of springs just in case if does make the differences. I have know people adjust their shocks to almost highest and get a really soft springs for track and after track put it back. This may damage the shocks time by time. Also may causes some stupid mistakes. lol

As what I was trying to say is, find the best set up for personal interest and pick out the right range to go with the car. Not just going crazy or do all the adjustment after buying. This is why I am asking questions here as well. I just want to make sure I have the right set up before buying and make it the best set up after buying. This can make sure the car rides good and the parts less longer. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Good point. Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #19
bonb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Another thing regards to this is, I have been in a KW comfort on 335 before and it is really nice ride, but they dont make this one for M3 as my knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #20
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Another thing regards to this is, I have been in a KW comfort on 335 before and it is really nice ride, but they dont make this one for M3 as my knowledge.
There is now a KW V1 for the E9x M3. It should be similar but more performance oriented than Comfort.

http://www.kwsuspensions.com/en/prod...64f81dfe38e8bc
      05-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #21
bonb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is now a KW V1 for the E9x M3. It should be similar but more performance oriented than Comfort.

http://www.kwsuspensions.com/en/prod...64f81dfe38e8bc
Appreciate 0