BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: AW 1M (MH1 S)

Detuning to stock

Hey guys.

I am currently waiting for my Cobb AP to arrive from PTF, as I want to do an etune from them (not very happy with the Manhart tune).

Doing a bit of research (youtube cobb ap guides ) I came to the conclusion that when I install the AP, it saves the existing ECU map as Stage 0, and gives me the preset Stage 1 and 2 until I deal with PTF to get the custom etune map.

If so, then my Manhart tune will become Stage 0. Is this correct?

As I'm not very happy with that tune, I would rather have stage 0 be the stock tune - following the logic that it saves the existing tune, I would have to detune/revert it back to stock before the installation of the Cobb AP. How do I do that? I have read about the battery disconnection method, but I figured that is probably simple settings and not the entire calibration provided by the existing tune I have.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Narek
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
The Cobb AP may not be abale to read the Manhart, only OE.

I would suggest going back to OE, not Manhart. Can Manhart be uninstalled or was your ECU sent away and flashed?
My concern precisely. It was sent away and flashed. So action plan right now should be to overwrite it with OE, but how do I do that? Is there some DIY trick, or should I take it to my indie workshop/local BMW for them to do it?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

You could force write to the DME if it's MSD81. A dealer could do it and in simple terms, over-write the existing Manhart tables and targets.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Indeed, I think that your only move is to go cap-in-hand to a dealer and have them re-flash your ecu. Hopefully they just don't give you the song 'n dance that you'd need a complete new ecu.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Update: As expected, the DME is not only flashed completely by Manhart, the mechanic couldn't even access it through the diagnostic device to see any faults (we suspect injector damage). Waiting for the DME mastermind of the shop to take a look and see if he can bypass the block, in which case they will be able to flash the DME to stock as well. Hopefully shouldn't be too drastic. Really starting to see the downside of this sort of tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Lol turns out it was the AWRON gauge. you gotta hold the button for 10 seconds or so for it to write Diagnose Ok or something, thats when OBD will give you anything. I actually lol'd.
Performance: Manhart Stage 4 Tune (+ CF Airbox, FMIC, Oil Cooler), Akra Titanium Full Exhaust + cat delete, Manhart Headers, cp-e CP, HKS BOV, Quaife Helical Diff, CDV Delete.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Can you explain further please? I have the AWRON and my Cobb AP has no issue reading/clearing codes, it just won't log with the AWRON if the car is moving
My AWRON gauge programmed (something of the sort) by Manhart - when I start the car, I get a Manhart Racing welcome screen. Oddly, when the gauge is on, OBD doesn't give any info. To switch between screens, the gauge uses the phone button. I have to hold that button for approximately 10 seconds, after which the gauge deactivates its existing screens and only writes "DIAGNOSE AKTV". Only then does any diagnostic device receive data from the OBDII port.

I'm not sure about the AP logging with the gauge as I haven't received the AP yet, but Im assuming, as it uses the OBD port, it won't work unless I set the gauge on that diagnostic mode.

Very odd.
Performance: Manhart Stage 4 Tune (+ CF Airbox, FMIC, Oil Cooler), Akra Titanium Full Exhaust + cat delete, Manhart Headers, cp-e CP, HKS BOV, Quaife Helical Diff, CDV Delete.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #9
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Just to update,

I have my AP now and last night I was doing the 3rd gear pulls for PTF. As expected, the AWRON had to be in Diagnose mode. Logged the runs, and then turned the gauge into normal mode, and interestingly, while it doesn't show anything in Diagnose mode, it still records. I was able to scroll through the pages onto the main info screen, and got some results while the gauge recorded while i was data logging.

Pretty happy with the results, considering the 40 degree (C) heat, and the extremely worn spark plugs (getting light misfires at times). Car going in for service in a week or so, should be better then. Until then, thought Id share the results

421 PS, 618 Nm, running on Stage 2+ FMIC Aggressive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 01:55 AM   #10
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Yeah screen is off, it just says DIAGNOSE AKTV. It still records while its off though
Appreciate 0