BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

04-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

Brakes feel weak

My car is at 60k Miles, and I have recently replaced all 4 brake pads, the rear rotors, and changed the brake fluid. Everything felt good until a few days ago, when I started noticing that the braking power isn't as strong as it used to be. I don't feel that strong initial bite anymore. Could worn front rotors make the brake feel weak, or do you guys think this could be something else like a leak? Thanks.
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Leak is possible but would usually result in failure not just weak. Did you change pads? More likely have air bubbles in the fluid.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Is the pedal firm or going to the floor? If it is firm, then it's most likely your pads and rotors.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Sounds like you haven't bedded in your new pads to your new rotors. Until the pads have a transfer layer laid down on the rotors, they'll perform noticeably worse. You might also be experiencing "green fade" on your pads since they're brand new, which goes away with general usage.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

also, what type of pads?
      04-10-2014, 02:26 AM   #6
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Leak is possible but would usually result in failure not just weak. Did you change pads? More likely have air bubbles in the fluid.
My Pads look like they have a lot of life in them as they have been changed 2 months ago. The only old part of the brake system are the front rotors that have never been changed since new. They have a pretty visible lip on them, but I didn't think that would affect brake feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Is the pedal firm or going to the floor? If it is firm, then it's most likely your pads and rotors.
It doesn't go to the floor, but the brakes do nothing for the first few inches that the pedal is depressed. When I tried to do a full stop emergency brake, it just didn't feel as strong as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Sounds like you haven't bedded in your new pads to your new rotors. Until the pads have a transfer layer laid down on the rotors, they'll perform noticeably worse. You might also be experiencing "green fade" on your pads since they're brand new, which goes away with general usage.
I bedded them as best I could, and they were working fine for the first 2 months. It may be that the front rotors are too thin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
also, what type of pads?
Stock Pads and rotors

I will be taking it in on saturday to replace the front rotors and maybe check the brake fluid. Thanks for the tips everyone.
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Thin rotors might be a possibility, though I assumed they'd have measured your rotors when swapping out your pads. I'm also not sure what symptoms of a too-thin rotor are. I'd imagine that would just cause an inability to get rid of heat as efficiently, but if that's the case then you'd only see reduced braking power after repeated stops that had put heat into the braking system. Any chance it's getting close to replacement time for your tires? It could be that they're not gripping as well as they'd need to be for maximum braking effect. If tires were the culprit you'd probably have ABS kicking in sooner than usual.

If your pedal isn't going farther down to the floor than usual, brake fluid wouldn't be the culprit. And even you do notice increased pedal travel, if it occurs even before you've put a LOT of heat into the brakes (it'd be very hard to boil even the stock fluid on public roads), then you've probably just got air in the system. Depending on whether the air is in the calipers (from not closing the bleed screw before releasing the pedal during service) or the master cylinder (from letting the reservoir get too low during service) you'll either just need to bleed the brakes or flush the entire system. But it won't be because the fluid is too old or not high performance enough.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 04-10-2014 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0