04-06-2014, 03:01 AM   #1
tcpip
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d (F15)

F15 M50d Two Weeks In

So I've had mine for two weeks now and put 2,000 miles on it already

Photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dbrook...7642728089903/

Exceptionally pleased with it so far, and now it has loosened up a bit (and completed the 1,200 mile 'be gentle with it' run-in period), boy does it go ;-) and it really sounds great as you use the power.

For the first week I was really concerned about fuel consumption being around 30mpg (UK), but again, as it has loosened up a bit that has improved, even though my driving with it has got less conservative - I got 42.8mpg (UK) out of it this week driving 80 miles round the M25 and up the M11, so can't grumble too much about that. It'll be interesting to see where it settles longer term (I used to regularly get about 40mpg (UK) out of my E60 535d).

I have noticed the wind noise around the drivers door/window a twice, and both times that was when it was windy outside, most of the time, no noise [phew].

Burning smell noticeable from outside - had this a couple of times, once when I'd given it some right foot up a hill and then pulled over, and another when I was parking it in the garage at home - it smells like something new getting hot, I assume it's the exhaust / particulate filter, haven't noticed it in the past few days, so maybe it's burned off whatever it was!

Found it easy to upload my music onto the on-board hard disk from a memory stick (using the USB in the centre armrest storage), but found I can also have my 3rd gen iPod nano plugged into the USB, my iPhone 5 bluetooth connected at the same time, so plenty of music choice. Glad I went for the harman kardon sound option, it sounds great, I like my music loud, but clear and well defined - it is!

SatNav uses the entries from the address book on my iPhone 5 which is nice, but I haven't quite mastered the on-board address book yet (it was easy in my E60 535d) - best I read the book

The auxiliary heating system has also moved on since my last one (which was on an E39) - it's programmable on-board to come on at certain times (or now) two entries per day and it either heats the car (if temp is below 16C) or vents the car if temp above 16C - also controllable via connected drive and App and a provided remote control. One word of warning though, this option seems to reduce the wading depth from about 18" to about 9" which I didn't find out about until I read the manual - a bit annoying as I have to drive through a ford on my way in and out of the village I live in, and the detour is about 5 miles!

Here's the spec if anyone has any questions:

Mineral White
Black Dakota Leather
ZNS Connected Drive
ZXH Cold Weather Pack
319 Universal Remote Control
323 Soft Close Doors
3AG Reversing Assist Camera
420 Sun Protection Glass
430 Ext. Mirrors - folding, auto dimming
456 Comfort Seats front
488 Lumbar Support, driver & front passenger
493 Extended Storage
536 Auxiliary Heating with Remote Control
5AG Lane Change Warning System
5AR Traffic Jam Assist
5AT Driving Assistant Plus
688 Loudspeaker System - harman/kardon surround sound
6AR Internet
6NS Enhanced Bluetooth with USB & Voice Control
710 M Steering Wheel
715 M Aerodynamic Bodystyling
775 Headlining Anthracite
8TH Speed Limit Display

I do have a couple of questions if anyone knows the answer:

(1) winter tyres - I always used winter tyres on my E60 535d (not mandatory and rarely used here in UK) and found them to be excellent, especially as I live in a rural area - any recommendations? Tyre sizes are 255/50R19 and 285/45R19. They're run flat and I have no spare, so I guess the winter tyres will need to be run flat too.

(2) The fording depth is reduced to about 9" (from 18") if you have the auxiliary heating system - anyone know if this is only when the system is active, or all the time? I've asked the dealer but had no reply!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 03:35 AM   #2
parm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M50d

Nice! I was a bit concerned about mpg too but then I do have a heavy right foot and mine has done 500miles.

Are you in the East Midlands somewhere pretty sure I saw an M50d launch off the traffic lights a couple of weeks ago. ( I was in a bog standard 528i courtesy car while mine had the correct grille fitted)
2011 Mercedes S-Class brabus (sold)
2010 Audi A8 4.2tdi (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

Ive had a strong burning smell when going up a steep hill and then stopped. Burning plastic type of smell.....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 04:59 AM   #4
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

9 inches is less than half of the wheel... Sounds Very wierd, This Would mean in Other words no depth at all. Can't help you with this, but sounds odd.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Very nice and impressive mpg!

I'm waiting for the new continental ts850p SUV tyres to be released. Based on past experience they should be class leading. They are rft's

Quick question- your satnav RTTI symbol/icon, is it of 2 cars in the right hand corner or an 'I'? Also, on the left menu bar does the traffic icon change colour I.e green yellow or red depending on the traffic status?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
kip1
Captain
Rep

Where in the manual Did You find This. The 50i has a wade depth of 19.6 inches, but in the emanual There is no mention of auxiliary heating.

About the Winter tires. I told My dealer that as My Winter tires Are non runflat, BMW Can't sell a Car without a repair kit. They agreed and I Will get a repair kit.

Last edited by kip1; 04-06-2014 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 05:54 AM   #7
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I will never EVER use a repair kit again. They are deadly! After a recent bad experience with non-rft winter tyres I'm sticking with rft's, even though the ride quality suffers.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #8
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d

I've got the same 19" setup for my wintertyres and BMW NL provided CONTINENTAL. Which are excellent, although no real winter this year so I just changed back to 20" dunlops for the summer

YES the particle filter smells like burning rubber, but like we say in Dutch: nothing in the hand

Good luck with M50D, my fuelconsumption for the 30D is 8.0L/100km average and highway 6.2 achievable as long as the headwind monster isn't out playing again, cause then it will be in the low 9's
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
I will never EVER use a repair kit again. They are deadly! After a recent bad experience with non-rft winter tyres I'm sticking with rft's, even though the ride quality suffers.
What do You mean? The idea is To get home/nearest repair shop With the Kit. Did the Kit fail at This??? You need To fix it or buy new ones anyway.

We use studded tires mostly, So no runflats.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Had a puncture, used tyreweld as instructed, drove a couple of miles and the tyre exploded. Lost control of the car on a very busy road and just managed to make it to the hard shoulder. Kids in the car and no where to stand so had to stay in the car for an hour, watching trucks swerve to miss us cos they weren't concentrating. Most won't have to use that gunk and maybe if you do you might get lucky, but people don't realise (myself included) how truly stupid it is to rely on a mobility kit, when your life's at stake.

If you absolutely have to use non-rft's and no room for a spare I'd call out BMW emergency and get them to tow you or replace the tyre.

Last edited by archivedaccount; 04-06-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Had a puncture, used tyreweld as instructed, drove a couple of miles and the tyre exploded. Lost control of the car on a very busy road and just managed to make it to the hard shoulder. Kids in the car and no where to stand so had to stay in the car for an hour, watching trucks swerve to miss us cos they weren't concentrating. Most won't have to use that gunk and maybe if you do you might get lucky, but people don't realise (myself included) how truly stupid it is to rely on a mobility kit, when your life's at stake. What Speed Were You Doing?
You shouldnt exceed 30mph./45kmh.
If you absolutely have to use non-rft's and no room for a spare I'd call out BMW emergency and get them to tow you or replace the tyre.
Can't argue With that Experience, horrible. We do not have bmw Emergency service sadly and 7 seats Takes out the spare.

Last edited by kip1; 04-06-2014 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I'd locked the active cruise at 30 when it blew. It was truly scary more so cos of the kids. The police arrived after 30 mins and took the kids and wife to safety, which was a weight off.

We have 7 seats too so no spare but running summer rft's and will swap to the conti winter rft's come autumn
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'd locked the active cruise at 30 when it blew. It was truly scary more so cos of the kids. The police arrived after 30 mins and took the kids and wife to safety, which was a weight off.

We have 7 seats too so no spare but running summer rft's and will swap to the conti winter rft's come autumn
OUCH...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #14
Scot04
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Winter Run Flat

I have 20" Pirelli Scorpion ice and snow tyres and find them very good.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
tcpip
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Scot04 - I'd looked at them, as they seem to be the only brand that makes RF winter tyres in the right sizes for both front and rear today. Will see if Continental bring something out in time for this coming winter.

Have you found the winter tyres to be noisy at all? They seem to be rated similar on noise to the summer tyres, so wouldn't expect it, but had a friend who has a Q7 and had a bad experience with winter tyres being really noisy at speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
Scot04
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

I found the Pirelli Scorpion ice and snow tyres to be quieter and more comfortable than the Bridgestones on my last X5, both were run flats.
      04-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #17
tcpip
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you Scot04, really helpful to have an insight.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #18
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot04 View Post
I have 20" Pirelli Scorpion ice and snow tyres and find them very good.
Hi 'Scott' where did you get those from and can you advise approx. cost?
Also, do you store the 'summers' in your garage or with your dealer?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0