BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

BPM

03-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Camping At Laguna Seca

ok so because of the season most national forest camp sites are closed...probably as during this time of the season we have snow...but this year thats not the case but the forestry service still does not change their availability....as im sure they might be doing maint etc....

so with that said i was thinking of heading to lagna seca...everytime im leaving the track i notice people camping in some of the upper sites....now i wont be on the track for this weekend but cant think of anything better then loading up the RV and camping out at laguna watching skip barber or some other HPDE events with a beer in my hand...not sure if the wife would be ok but wanted to check and see if any of you guys have camped there and wondered what it was like...thank you in advance
      03-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
ok so because of the season most national forest camp sites are closed...probably as during this time of the season we have snow...but this year thats not the case but the forestry service still does not change their availability....as im sure they might be doing maint etc....

so with that said i was thinking of heading to lagna seca...everytime im leaving the track i notice people camping in some of the upper sites....now i wont be on the track for this weekend but cant think of anything better then loading up the RV and camping out at laguna watching skip barber or some other HPDE events with a beer in my hand...not sure if the wife would be ok but wanted to check and see if any of you guys have camped there and wondered what it was like...thank you in advance
It's been years since I've camped there during WSBK Races but it was great. I believe you need a permit to camp there overnight if i'm not mistaken. Buddy set it all up so I'm not sure. They have showers so it was very convenient as well.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
radsmd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG/FR ZCP

I usually camp there for the races, previously the ALMS and this year the Tudor race in May. They have a few campgrounds, some with hookups and others without. Free clean showers if needed.

It's great when there is an event going on, but can be pretty slow if not. However, it is a good base if you want to do any mountain biking, shooting (they have their own shooting range), or hiking. Pretty cheap as well, compared to the lodging in Monterey.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsmd View Post
I usually camp there for the races, previously the ALMS and this year the Tudor race in May. They have a few campgrounds, some with hookups and others without. Free clean showers if needed.

It's great when there is an event going on, but can be pretty slow if not. However, it is a good base if you want to do any mountain biking, shooting (they have their own shooting range), or hiking. Pretty cheap as well, compared to the lodging in Monterey.
Sounds good to me...ill be there for the tudor race as well..but ill be staying at a hotel for that..do you recall off hand what they charge per night?
      03-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
radsmd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
Sounds good to me...ill be there for the tudor race as well..but ill be staying at a hotel for that..do you recall off hand what they charge per night?
For races, SCRAMP takes over the duty to rent campsites. For a 3 day event, it is about $150 total from Weds through Sunday for a reserved site, level ground and a nice view of a track. Firepit, picnic table, and water faucet supplied. They have cheaper sites on the hill (with level ground but not close to facilities) as well as more expensive large sites for RV's. Non-race days are obviously cheaper and less crowded.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:

Showers if needed? Soon you'll be camping in Buttonwillow!! Which maybe an improvement over the hotels in town.

You fit alll the camping gear and track tear in the car?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
radsmd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
Quote:

Showers if needed? Soon you'll be camping in Buttonwillow!! Which maybe an improvement over the hotels in town.

You fit alll the camping gear and track tear in the car?

Usually camping on my own without the family, so plenty of room. Love REI, so plenty of compact camping equipment. Have a roof rack for the bike(s). Stop for groceries there. I don't use track specific tires, so that helps a lot. Even have enough room for a couple of .308 long range rifles and a few handguns to use the range there. You should come out for the Tudor race.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For races, SCRAMP takes over the duty to rent campsites. For a 3 day event, it is about $150 total from Weds through Sunday for a reserved site, level ground and a nice view of a track. Firepit, picnic table, and water faucet supplied. They have cheaper sites on the hill (with level ground but not close to facilities) as well as more expensive large sites for RV's. Non-race days are obviously cheaper and less crowded.
Ya I was thinking of the upper sites ...want to say they are above turn 5....might be a nice kick back weekend...I know there is no professional race goin on but there are some hpde days...might be cool to kick back and watch
      03-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #9
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Usually camping on my own without the family, so plenty of room. Love REI, so plenty of compact camping equipment. Have a roof rack for the bike(s). Stop for groceries there. I don't use track specific tires, so that helps a lot. Even have enough room for a couple of .308 long range rifles and a few handguns to use the range there. You should come out for the Tudor race.
Im expecting the tudor race to be pretty good... are the ranges open or regulated by a range master?
      03-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #10
radsmd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta
Quote:
Im expecting the tudor race to be pretty good... are the ranges open or regulated by a range master?
There are range officers there. Very safe and controlled. They are closed on the race weekends but I usually get there a few days early and use it during the week. The rifle range goes out to 300 yes if I remember correctly, with steel plates. Paper targets at 100 and I think 200.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #11
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are range officers there. Very safe and controlled. They are closed on the race weekends but I usually get there a few days early and use it during the week. The rifle range goes out to 300 yes if I remember correctly, with steel plates. Paper targets at 100 and I think 200.
sounds good thank you for the help
      03-12-2014, 12:31 AM   #12
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Nice. When and what is the Tudor race?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #13
radsmd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
Quote:
Nice. When and what is the Tudor race?

Tudor is the sponsor for the "new" race series consisting of the previous ALMS and Grand Am race series. This year it is on May 2-4 for Laguna Seca. Good racing, hanging out with friends, just a good ole boy's weekend. I usually take my road bike +/- mtn bike and ride in the Bay Area, since it is a nice change of scenery compared to San Diego.
Appreciate 1