BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

1M Losing it on Track

Don't know the track, but it was apparently a BMW CCA Racing School.

Looks like 1M jerks wheel to right to avoid going off track and loses it after practice start around 1:06.

Anyone here want to fess up?

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
Yellowceta
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
That's Texas World Speedway just south of College Station. I've done one PE there awhile ago and hated that decreasing hairpin coming off the front straight. It appears like the 1M hit a gentle bump and over compensated in attempt to counter.

Nice track and facilities if you ever get the chance to go.
2011 1M - VO Florida pick up 11/4/11 #554 of 740 - Sold
2017 ATS-V Stock
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowceta View Post
That's Texas World Speedway just south of College Station. I've done one PE there awhile ago and hated that decreasing hairpin coming off the front straight. It appears like the 1M hit a gentle bump and over compensated in attempt to counter.

Nice track and facilities if you ever get the chance to go.
Good call on the track. Didn't recognize it at first, but I was there many years ago during the One Lap of America running my '99 M Coupe in torrential rain.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
1M SUSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 //1M Alpine White

he was totally in some sort of dip in the road. But it's amazing how fast he goes off the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Fellow in following car with video posted:

"The left edge of the track cuts in a bit just beyond the track out point of turn three. Not only does it cut in, but there's a drop off. So you have to remember to not track out completely to the edge. I'm not sure if he didn't see it until the last second and jerked right, but that'd be my guess."

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

If you look close and notice in the video there are 2 1M's off track at the same spot. I know because I was the 1M that was off on the right side already in the grass

My off was due to stupidity. The e46 took the inside at the corner and I didn't get my wheel straightened up completely before applying throttle. The back end came out and off I went.

Since this was brought up, I'll post my video once I get it uploaded and you can all see my F up

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post
If you look close and notice in the video there are 2 1M's off track at the same spot. I know because I was the 1M that was off on the right side already in the grass

My off was due to stupidity. The e46 took the inside at the corner and I didn't get my wheel straightened up completely before applying throttle. The back end came out and off I went.

Since this was brought up, I'll post my video once I get it uploaded and you can all see my F up
Hey, if you've never gone off on track, you aren't trying hard enough!

Look forward to your video.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

That's why I decided to do it twice that weekend. My second off was basically the same spot coming out of turn 9 but it was less eventful. I decided to go off roading and then back on track.

It was a good warm up for the BMW Texas Trifecta at COTA next month!

If anyone is interested in the BMW race school and qualify, I would highly recommend it. I don't intend to race but it was a great learning experience and situational awareness you gain is great. A DE is fun and you can learn but when you are ready to take it to the next level GO to Race School. The main class instructor was Anthony Maganoli. Great guy and driver and movie star too...

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post
That's why I decided to do it twice that weekend. My second off was basically the same spot coming out of turn 9 but it was less eventful. I decided to go off roading and then back on track.

It was a good warm up for the BMW Texas Trifecta at COTA next month!

If anyone is interested in the BMW race school and qualify, I would highly recommend it. I don't intend to race but it was a great learning experience and situational awareness you gain is great. A DE is fun and you can learn but when you are ready to take it to the next level GO to Race School. The main class instructor was Anthony Maganoli. Great guy and driver and movie star too...
Yeah, I know Anthony. Terrific guy and a very good driver.

I also did the Club Racing School a couple years back at VIR. Agree that it's a terrific and most worthwhile experience for anyone looking to improve their skills!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Met Anthony at Mid-O while he was done a 1 on 1 with a prep'ed E36 for GT3 on NASA. He is a hell of a driver and awesome to talk to
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #11
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Yup race school at TWS. There's a hump right there where a road crosses the long track. If you track all the way out onto that road you need to cut back in. Right at the transition there's a hump. Looks to me like he lifted right before hitting that hump and was a little sideways from cutting back in.

Recommendation, don't lift.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #12
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Yup race school at TWS. There's a hump right there where a road crosses the long track. If you track all the way out onto that road you need to cut back in. Right at the transition there's a hump. Looks to me like he lifted right before hitting that hump and was a little sideways from cutting back in.

Recommendation, don't lift.
The driver could have been applying power and the extra steering input was enough to cause him spin the tires since the car is unweighted there.

That's a tricky spot on the wet with DSC off. Very easy to spin the tires as you accelerate out of 3. The rear can come around so fast that one time I was already a car width off the track before I got it straightened out.
      02-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Yeah, that spot can definitely unsettle the car! Ask me how I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #14
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

With such heavy traffic, I feel it is fortunate (or skillful) that the driver overcorrected into the extensive run off, rather than bounce off nearby competitors on the inside.

What kinds of speeds are these vehicles cornering at?

Does look more dramatic from behind; wish I had others capturing my disasters on video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Hey, if you've never gone off on track, you aren't trying hard enough!
Sounds familiar
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #15
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Wow that's a pretty nasty track.

Seems to me a dip mid-corner like that would upset just about any car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
The dip is not mid-corner. It's past track out. TWS is a high speed track that warrants a lot of respect. This turn is quite benign compared to T1,T6, T7, and T15.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #17
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Spot on assessment by the camera car driver ... There was room to make it around the corner and stay on track and the driver alongside did leave adequate " racing room".... the driver actually appeared to move left mid corner to allow a little extra room for himself... which then resulted in being too far left as the track pinches in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo_3101 View Post
With such heavy traffic, I feel it is fortunate (or skillful) that the driver overcorrected into the extensive run off, rather than bounce off nearby competitors on the inside.
I know the car.... the driver.. .. and the track... and I think you're assessment is very accurate.. The speed there is probably 70-75 mph or a little better..... with the elevation change.. the super late apex.. ...and the fact that one is generally right in the power band exiting the corner there is a lot going on when the track out loses a good 3-4 feet of racing room.

As it was the bump and hook left ended up in a pretty safe spin.. vs going off the drop off driver's left and hooking back to the right which could have been nasty.

A great example of a similar turn where the track pinches off several feet is Turn 5 at Road America.....

I may have made a very similar move.... with very similar results and a similar amount of grass mowing... I will say from experience that a quick panic move approaching the track out will result in some seriously quick rotation... from which it is VERY difficult to recover.

Hopefully no damage to the car and slightly bruised ego....

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo_3101 View Post
wish I had others capturing my disasters on video.
be careful what you wish for... ask me how I know!

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 02-06-2014 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Good call on the track. Didn't recognize it at first, but I was there many years ago during the One Lap of America running my '99 M Coupe in torrential rain.

Neil
Me too! there were people surfing in the paddock!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 01:27 AM   #19
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Thanks for sharing.

IMO It shows us again how we better invest in ourselves in becoming a better more experienced driver and knowing the car than to invest in mods to make a 1M even faster than it already is.

I'm talking in general and not particularly about this accident.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 02:34 AM   #20
RKR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
IMO It shows us again how we better invest in ourselves in becoming a better more experienced driver and knowing the car than to invest in mods to make a 1M even faster than it already is.
Quoted for truth.

I've owned the car now for just over 1 year, first rwd, and still learning. I've done 7 trackdays with it now and with 2 of them I've hired an instructor to help me to put the power down more effectively etc. Still along way to go though! Luckily no serious off's so far but a fair few mishaps with oversteer
      02-06-2014, 07:06 AM   #21
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I'm talking in general and not particularly about this accident.

Cheers
Robin
+2

You can get in a lot of trouble with little power
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #22
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

TWS is a fantastic track. There's nothing inherently wrong with that turn or any other on the track. If you lift while the car is slightly rotated and you hit a bump at the same time you'll spin off track. Nothing more. Fortunately TWS is one of those tracks were you've got to be unlucky to hit anything!
Appreciate 0