BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

12-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
d-bone
Rep
Drives: 2008 ///M3 Sedan

Registering New Battery

I just installed a new battery in my 2008 M3. Now I need to register it. I got the OBD2 K+DCAN cable, and installed BMW Standard Tools on my netbook running windows 7.
I hook the cable up to the OBD2 port, turn the car on (ignition on, car not running), and start up Toolset 32 (version 3.8.7).

I am trying to use the guide below, but when I try and load MSD80.prg, it doesn't load, the computer just has the circling blue circle... I gave up after about 5 minutes or so.... Should this take a long time like this? Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas?

Here is the guide I am trying to follow:
In that case you open up Toolset 32 (under EDIABAS folder):
1. Open MSD80.prg
2. Look up steuern_batterietausch_registri. (near bottom of job list)
3. Go to Jobs menu
4. Select Run Job

(May alternatively be under MSV70 or MSV80.prg)

from: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532315

Thanks!!
-Derron
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-bone View Post
I just installed a new battery in my 2008 M3. Now I need to register it. I got the OBD2 K+DCAN cable, and installed BMW Standard Tools on my netbook running windows 7.
I hook the cable up to the OBD2 port, turn the car on (ignition on, car not running), and start up Toolset 32 (version 3.8.7).

I am trying to use the guide below, but when I try and load MSD80.prg, it doesn't load, the computer just has the circling blue circle... I gave up after about 5 minutes or so.... Should this take a long time like this? Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas?

1. Open MSD80.prg
3. Go to Jobs menu
4. Select Run Job

Thanks!!
-Derron
Your ECU is not a MSD80. Your M3 has a MSS60.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
d-bone
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808AWD325xi
Quote:

1. Open MSD80.prg
3. Go to Jobs menu
4. Select Run Job

Thanks!!
-Derron
Your ECU is not a MSD80. Your M3 has a MSS60.
Even so, shouldn't the log still load? I realize I couldn't successfully do anything with it, but it should still load, no?

Either way, thanks for letting me know, I was wondering which one was correct for the M3, thank you for the clarification!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
d-bone
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman
I am also interested to know of a scan tool or way to register the M3 battery, I have tried with my BT tool and didn't work.

AFAIK there isn't anything short of a trip to the dealer
I did get the battery successfully registered using BMWLogger. Very simple to use. Just search google for it, you can easily find the free download, and a quick tutorial video.

Not a lot can be done with it, you can use it to register your new battery, and read and clear codes. But nice and simple, and free :-)

I would still like to learn how to use INPA, Toolset 32, and EDIABAS now that I have it, to play around with some other coding, so still would like to figure out what I am doing wrong (other than choosing the wrong log to load)....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Even so, shouldn't the log still load? I realize I couldn't successfully do anything with it, but it should still load, no?

Either way, thanks for letting me know, I was wondering which one was correct for the M3, thank you for the clarification!
No, the .PRG files are ECU specific descriptors with the jobs for a given ECU. You could try MSS60.PRG instead.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Read over this thread.....BMW Logger is the easiest and cheapest route....

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884504
Appreciate 0