BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M235i

My drive from Tucson, AZ To Bend, OR and back

Here is a post of my 135is maiden voyage. I have driven my car around Tucson for it's first 1600 miles or so, and was waiting for an opportunity to get out on the road and take a drive up to Bend Oregon to visit my brother. Last week I had such an opportunity and took off early in the morning of Oct 16, 2013 and headed north

from Tucson to Phoenix which I am afraid to say is the land of rush hour crashes. I got up to the Phoenix are around 7am and wouldn't you know by the time I got to Tempe traffic was stop and go. Lucky for me my limited knowledge of Phoenix and the cars GPS got me round the tie up and back onto I-10. On I-10 it was a short hop to State Route 101 on the west side of Phoenix which I took up to old US 60 connecting to US 93 up to I-80 just east of Kingman,AZ. I made real good time once I got out of suburban Phoenix following on the tail of one of those new Jaguar sports sedans. From Kingman it was up US 93 to Las Vegas with a quick stop near Hoover Dam and a sign saying that the park was closed because of a government shut down. A sign of the times.

I found my way around Las Vegas onto US route 95 that took me to Beatty Nevada and a Motel 6 for my first nights restless sleep.

Just east of Beatty, NV

I tried a different approach for this journey keeping my travel time to less than 6 hours a day instead of my usual drive till I drop approach.

On Thursday morning I was up not so bright but early to be greeted by a TPS message on my dash on one wheel to be followed by 3 more wheels when I left the motel drive way. I drove down to the one gas station in town to inquire about an air pump and was told that they did not have one, but there was a gas station north of town that did. In the back of my mind I was remembering that first frosting day back in New England when the TPS light would come on in my Mini JCW because of the big change in temperature. Well ten miles out of town I decided to pull over and do t reset on the TPS circuit. After about a mile all my wheels went green, big sigh of relief.

I was off to the races continuing north on US 95, a quick jog east to State Route 376 which I took north to US 50. The sun was coming up as i got on to SR 376, many photo ops but I was to busy making time up this 99 mile stretch of 2 lane road where you could easily see 5 miles ahead, with an occasional curve.

US 50 east of Austin, NV

On US 50 I went east up a hill and then down a 6 mile grade to Austin, NV for fuel and breakfast at the International Cafe.Another missed photo op

from Austin I was back on the road turning off US 50 and headed north up SR 305 to Battle Mountain, NV where I got onto I-80 east to Winnemucca, NV where I turned left on to Malarkey St to find my room off of W Winnemuca Blvd at the Town House Motel

Friday morning I am back on the road before dawn on the last leg north to Bend,OR. I take US 95 north out of Winnemucca headed to the Oregon Border on another Nevada rural highway posted at 70 MPH speed limit when I get to the Oregon line and the speed limit sign changes to "Speed 55". I am like, WTF, and this next 55 mile stretch is across open range where the first sign of life I see is some guy pulling a trailer with no rear lights. I couldn't figure out why the road kept disappearing in my headlights, and then there it was a black trailer with no rear lights doing 55! Anyway I made it to the intersection of SR78 that I took west to US 20 in Burns, Oregon. I stopped in Burns for gas and where the attendant welcomed me to Oregon, the friendliest State, which might be so, and told me that gas in Oregon had to be pumped by the gas station attendant. Must be the New Jersey of the West...

Just east of Bend on US 20

I made it into Bend on Friday around lunch time.

My brother likes to hike and climb in the mountains around Bend, so he designed a walk for the likes of me up onto the beginning of the 3 Sisters. We must have moved by less than half of my brother's normal pace.

We took a ride up to Terrebonne, OR in my bro's Dinan supercharge Mini S for a quick gander at Smith Rock, were he loves to climb. All I have to do is look at a high ridge and I get dizzy.

a pumkin patch nearby

Downtown Bend

Not an 135is or a BMW

Probably more than enough for now.
Next post the ride home
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
looks like a fun trip man!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sure was. Still trying to recover. But it was well worth it!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

BP - great pics of the journey - that's a terrific inaugural "drive" for the 135is! There are some great roads up in that area, enjoy the ride and post up more pics.

I was up in OR earlier this year, but ended up with a Suburban 4x4 for the rental...talk about buzzkill. Grandma always said "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all", so here goes: at least the heated seats were decent.

Hey, are the fires pretty much out? There were a bunch burning in early August, the smoke was all along the way from Eugene to the CA border
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Great photos of your trip! Thanks for sharing.

How many miles was it to get to OR? How much over the speed limit did you drive? I usually don't notice how fast I'm going on the freeway. The car just feels so stable and quiet.
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bama
didn't know about the fires, but the air was clear. I really liked the altitude and walking in the mountains. The folks in Bend have to be the nicest people that I have met.

Marc08EX

Looks to be about 1226 miles from Tucson to Bend. What made the drive really nice was that it was 80% on 2 laners or state highways. I made pretty good time on the Nevada 2 lane highways. My car felt solid and safe at high speeds. I didn't think of the speed limit and saw the "Speed 55" in Oregon. Folks up there said that 55 was more of a suggestion than a rule? my brother had an argument with a cop about that as they put him in back of the cruiser after clocking him at over 100. His mode of transportation for the next 6 months or a year were his feet. Any way 65 to 70 seemed to be ok (if I could only slow down)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp-plickner View Post
Bama
didn't know about the fires, but the air was clear. I really liked the altitude and walking in the mountains. The folks in Bend have to be the nicest people that I have met.

Marc08EX

Looks to be about 1226 miles from Tucson to Bend. What made the drive really nice was that it was 80% on 2 laners or state highways. I made pretty good time on the Nevada 2 lane highways. My car felt solid and safe at high speeds. I didn't think of the speed limit and saw the "Speed 55" in Oregon. Folks up there said that 55 was more of a suggestion than a rule? my brother had an argument with a cop about that as they put him in back of the cruiser after clocking him at over 100. His mode of transportation for the next 6 months or a year were his feet. Any way 65 to 70 seemed to be ok (if I could only slow down)
Oregon Highway Patrol are jerks. My only ticket ever was there on the first day of a 23-day road trip in the middle of nowhere, cruise control set at 80 in a 65 or 70, and they would not allow any traffic school or anything. My issue wasn't so much with the ticket, but the aftermath. It's pretty, but those Oregon drivers are awful and sloooowwww. They like to go 55 in the left lane on empty freeways.

Bend is beautiful though, but quite snowy and cold in the winters.

BP - did you get a chance to go to the Valley of Fire when you were out by Vegas?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

greg
My brother can testify to your comment on Oregon Highway Patrol.
Vegas for me was a drive by.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Really nice pics with an awesome road trip in your ONE. Please post more pics when you can - we all envy your road trip.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Next part will be my ride to the north California coast and Monterey where I fall back on old habits for the 12 hour drive to Tucson.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
Next part will be my ride to the north California coast and Monterey where I fall back on old habits for the 12 hour drive to Tucson.
I suggest you head down to Grants Pass, then pick up 199 down into CA and Crescent City - fantastic road through some amazing scenery
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama335 View Post
I suggest you head down to Grants Pass, then pick up 199 down into CA and Crescent City - fantastic road through some amazing scenery
Alas, I think he's already back home in Tucson, it's just what pics from his journey he's posting next.

Take it up to Sedona and through 89A up through sedona to flagstaff at some point though. Love that drive and is better in a 135 than an accord.

Or one day we'll have to arrange some kinda 135is get together with perhaps some of the CA and AZ people in a scenic location. The mere thought of TWO mineral grey IS's together...boggles the mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama335 View Post
That is the ride I took. Absolutely gorgeous. I should have stopped for more pics before I got down to Crescent City and the low overcast which continued all the way down to Willits.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Here is a post of my 135is maiden voyage. I have driven my car around Tucson for it's first 1600 miles or so, and was waiting for an opportunity to get out on the road and take a drive up to Bend Oregon to visit my brother.
Fantastic report! Thanks for sharing your journey with us. As a West Coast native living in the midwest, your photos make me really 'homesick'. Your drive is exactly the kind of road trip my wife and I love. You had it all… southwest and northwest all in the same trip.

Can't wait to see your report from the return trip!

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I believe Jim Morrison now, "The west is the best". I spent my whole life back east. I like the southwest more every day. Except for valley fever, javelina, rattle snakes, and the pollen.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Oregon Highway Patrol are jerks. My only ticket ever was there on the first day of a 23-day road trip in the middle of nowhere, cruise control set at 80 in a 65 or 70, and they would not allow any traffic school or anything. My issue wasn't so much with the ticket, but the aftermath. It's pretty, but those Oregon drivers are awful and sloooowwww. They like to go 55 in the left lane on empty freeways.

Bend is beautiful though, but quite snowy and cold in the winters.

BP - did you get a chance to go to the Valley of Fire when you were out by Vegas?
Not all Oregon drivers are slow lol......nice pics though, glad you you like the NW
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
Not all Oregon drivers are slow lol......nice pics though, glad you you like the NW
I know, but used to live there for a bit and wished everyone would get out of my way! Still the best 1-series plate, too. =)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #18
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep

OP, don't you think AZ drivers are the same way? I hate people here in AZ who sit in the left/passing lane driving at the speed limit. Left lane bandits... SMH...
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Most of the left lane hogs I encountered were between Phoenix and Tucson. I was surprised how many California drivers pulled over to let people pass in 80mph traffic coming down I-5. Even coming into Phoenix from California people were yielding the lane, but yeah drivers staying left make me crazy especially the I am going to 74 on I-10 and no more drivers. I passed 2 state patrol cars west of Phoenix doing 80 on my speedo so that's like maybe 78 in real mph and no problem. Maybe they were napping?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #20
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep

IMO, CA drivers are courteous. Yeah they're fast but they're very courteous. I think CA just have a bad rep for being bad drivers because they drive fast. But hey it's a fast moving city where time is precious. I totally disagree with this stereotype. And I've been to LA a lot. I was surprised to see how many drivers (%-wise) yield when you turn on your blinkers in CA.

I think it's more dangerous to drive here in Phoenix because people just don't know how to drive... Slow a$$ drivers on the left lane, people who box you in when you turn on your blinkers, people that switch lanes in front of you, etc!!! It doesn't actually surprise me that you encountered left lane bandits the most between Phx and Tucson.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #21
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Neat trip, and nice 1er!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant