BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

10-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

Akrapovic upgrade advice

I recently purchased and installed an Akrapovic slip-on used. I have the opportunity to purchase the front section of the Akrapovic Evolution system also used. In this deal I would need to trade my adapters to the seller so that he could mate his Akra cat-back to a different front section. I garage my car in the winter, so I would do this deal then.

I need advice: It seems like getting a tune is a much better deal than buying the R-delete module, but I know very little about the differences. How much should I expect to pay for a tune, what gains should I expect vs. just the R-delete and how far would I have to travel from Pittsburgh, PA to obtain a tune?

Can I drive the car without a tune / R-delete to where ever I am getting the tune done without any ill effects?

Any help / advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
jamze132
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 228i

BPM Sport can tune you and you don't need to leave your garage. Contact them.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsabec View Post
I recently purchased and installed an Akrapovic slip-on used. I have the opportunity to purchase the front section of the Akrapovic Evolution system also used. In this deal I would need to trade my adapters to the seller so that he could mate his Akra cat-back to a different front section. I garage my car in the winter, so I would do this deal then.

I need advice: It seems like getting a tune is a much better deal than buying the R-delete module, but I know very little about the differences. How much should I expect to pay for a tune, what gains should I expect vs. just the R-delete and how far would I have to travel from Pittsburgh, PA to obtain a tune?

Can I drive the car without a tune / R-delete to where ever I am getting the tune done without any ill effects?

Any help / advice is appreciated.
Delete-R just clears the CEL that will come due to the lack of primary cats. A full tune from any of the tuners will add upgrades like Euro MDM software, Servotronic software, along with the CEL delete. All tunes are available remotely with no need to leave the garage, as stated above.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
ChallengeM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Look at it from the cost perspective: used delete-r can be had for between $225-250, a tune in a GB will run you $925. So if you skip the Delete-R and go straight to a tune deduct $225 from the $925 and the tune only cost ya $700.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

a Delete-R only turns off the CEL. A tune actually TUNES the car. As others have mentioned, the servotronic is included for free.

Hit up THE TECH (BPMsport). I bought my Akra tune from them
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
BPM Sport can tune you and you don't need to leave your garage. Contact them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
Delete-R just clears the CEL that will come due to the lack of primary cats. A full tune from any of the tuners will add upgrades like Euro MDM software, Servotronic software, along with the CEL delete. All tunes are available remotely with no need to leave the garage, as stated above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengeM View Post
Look at it from the cost perspective: used delete-r can be had for between $225-250, a tune in a GB will run you $925. So if you skip the Delete-R and go straight to a tune deduct $225 from the $925 and the tune only cost ya $700.
Thanks guys, this is exactly the information I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
tommy94gt
Captain
Rep
Drives: SMB F80

This should be right up your alley: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903893
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengeM View Post
I've tried to rationalize that one a couple times. A tune seems really expensive since I can't sell it when I part out the car.

Akra Delete-R residual value: $225. Cost: $0

Tune residual value: $0. Cost $925.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
6SpdFANATIC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Melbourne Red

and if you decide to go the Delete-R route, hit me up because I'm selling one right now that was on my car for only a month.

Works like a charm in clearing the CEL.