BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

09-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
Which tunes turn off CEL and provide readiness codes for cat delete?

I've spent the last couple days reading various threads, and so far, I've only seen the Evolve tune being listed with the ability to turn off the CEL for no cats and force the readiness code so that emissions can be passed.

Any other tunes also able to do this?

2020 RDX A-Spec : Apex Blue Pearl / Red
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

all tunes can turn CEL/SES off (you have to ask for it) - but no tune can make you pass your emissions.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Ninja edit... I was too slow. Lol!
sorry
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
I've read that the Evolve tune is able to force readiness codes. If that's the case, the vehicle should then pass a scanned emission test.

Have I read incorrectly?

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dn3k Flyby View Post
I've read that the Evolve tune is able to force readiness codes. If that's the case, the vehicle should then pass a scanned emission test.

Have I read incorrectly?
No I don't believe that to be the case. Tuners would be exposing themselves to huge ramification via the Federal Govt.
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...26&postcount=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve: New Tune Options - Catless 02 Ready Tune - COMPLETE
Evolve S65 Tune Option Update

After our extensive testing we have officially launched our Catless 02 Ready tune.

Though our 'Stage 2' tune has been available for several years with a large proportion of our customers running this, we have recently revisited the tune at our customers request to have a very specific feature - to remove the dashboard CEL whilst ALSO retaining the 02 sensor 'readiness'.

We have now successfully implemented this feature, so all new Stage 2 Catless tunes (just headers or completely catless) will automatically receive this new feature set.

You can select this option on our listing page here:

If you don't require the 02 sensors to be in a ready state, simply do not select the option and we will supply the tune without that feature.

* The file itself is available from direct from our UK company, an online waiver must be signed that indicates you understand this file is only to be used off-road, as well as an admin fee of $20 via PayPal direct to the UK company.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

As crazy as it sounds, is possible to remove the CEL light & cold start without a remap? I want a catless xpipe but don't want the warning light. Don't really want more power - just doing it for sound.
      09-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
...and now we can get back to the original topic.

As linked above, it looks like Evolve has the ability to force the codes and allow me to pass emissions. Nothing against Evolve at all. In fact, I've heard great things about their tunes. The reason I am asking if there are any other tunes that can do this, is I don't believe I have access to Evolve through work, and would like to stick to something I also have the ability to sell.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
...and now we can get back to the original topic.

As linked above, it looks like Evolve has the ability to force the codes and allow me to pass emissions. Nothing against Evolve at all. In fact, I've heard great things about their tunes. The reason I am asking if there are any other tunes that can do this, is I don't believe I have access to Evolve through work, and would like to stick to something I also have the ability to sell.
Idk what the "access through work" part means, but none of these tunes can be resold

And IMO none of them make any real power either. The best thing to do is call the tuners and ask them. Seriously doubt they will talk about it online.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Idk what the "access through work" part means, but none of these tunes can be resold

And IMO none of them make any real power either. The best thing to do is call the tuners and ask them. Seriously doubt they will talk about it online.
I work for a large performance parts distributor. I'm not looking to resell the tune. I'm looking to run a tune I have access to. That way, when a customer asks what I run, I can reply with something I sell.

Rather than calling every single tuning company that offers a tune for the e9x M3, I created a thread here. Thus far, I've had 3 people tell me no one offers one, when I already know that Evolve does. I've had 1 person try to hijack the thread briefly. And now I'm being told an opinion that the thing I'm looking for is pointless because, in your opinion, it won't make power anyway.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I work for a large performance parts distributor. I'm not looking to resell the tune. I'm looking to run a tune I have access to. That way, when a customer asks what I run, I can reply with something I sell.

Rather than calling every single tuning company that offers a tune for the e9x M3, I created a thread here. Thus far, I've had 3 people tell me no one offers one, when I already know that Evolve does. I've had 1 person try to hijack the thread briefly. And now I'm being told an opinion that the thing I'm looking for is pointless because, in your opinion, it won't make power anyway.

Nice attitude

The reason you should call them is that it is illegal to tamper wih emissions testing equipment, and tuners will tell you, if contacted, to call them to discuss this option. They will not post about it online.

Understood about your job, had no idea since it had not been mentioned in this thread before.

You can call it my opinion, which is fine. My opinion is based on the utter lack of dyno data that shows that a tune makes any more power than the latest BMW software update, 240e or newer.

Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Nice attitude

The reason you should call them is that it is illegal to tamper wih emissions testing equipment, and tuners will tell you, if contacted, to call them to discuss this option. They will not post about it online.

Understood about your job, had no idea since it had not been mentioned in this thread before.

You can call it my opinion, which is fine. My opinion is based on the utter lack of dyno data that shows that a tune makes any more power than the latest BMW software update, 240e or newer.

Best of luck
Given the responses I've gotten thus far, some attitude is warranted. The internet is serious business after all.

Based on that, I guess I don't get why Evolve openly offered it. But if that's the case, hopefully I get some PM's tomorrow when all of them get back in the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
I think you should just code it yourself. Or, when you go for the readiness test just close your eyes and make a wish - that works too.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Flyboy - i believe there already was a thread on this a few years back. I think its doable but illegal. No tuner would want to have this problem come back to them. Just like the company you work for wouldnt want legal matters to come back to them as well.

That being said, with any tune you choose to go with, when it comes time to do an emissions test, you reflash to stock, put your cat back on, then pass the test and reinstall/reflash your test pipe and tune. You work at a performance shop and with access to a lift, it should be no more than ten minutes.

Does california do it through the obd2 port and care about check engine lights now? I havent done one in so long i dont know anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #14
satrenidk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

I've read that the Evolve tune is able to force readiness codes.
      09-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Didnt read but the search function still works last I checked.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #16
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Flyboy - i believe there already was a thread on this a few years back. I think its doable but illegal. No tuner would want to have this problem come back to them. Just like the company you work for wouldnt want legal matters to come back to them as well.

That being said, with any tune you choose to go with, when it comes time to do an emissions test, you reflash to stock, put your cat back on, then pass the test and reinstall/reflash your test pipe and tune. You work at a performance shop and with access to a lift, it should be no more than ten minutes.

Does california do it through the obd2 port and care about check engine lights now? I havent done one in so long i dont know anymore.
I did Google searches using various keywords and searched via the search engine here. Probably scanned through 25+ threads before I created this one.

I understand the legality angle. As Evolve's post mentions, a waiver would need to be signed before the purchase is completed.

My primary issue right now is I don't have anywhere to keep the exhaust other than work. My current housing is up the end of December, and my wife and I don't plan to buy a home here until we've been here for 12 months. So, at the very least, I'll be moving twice in the next 12 months.

I'd rather find a permanent solution. Also, from what I've read, the process of loading a tune is 1hr+.

Arizona scans OBD2.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrenidk View Post
I've read that the Evolve tune is able to force readiness codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
Didnt read but the search function still works last I checked.
See response above. I did a variety of searches and the only thread I was able to find was the one from Evolve.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #18
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

you should go with the evolve tune then.

but don't be surprised if you do not pass emissions.

an hour for a flash? is this for real?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #19
R3dn3k Flyby
BigMacs
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
you should go with the evolve tune then.

but don't be surprised if you do not pass emissions.

an hour for a flash? is this for real?
I've read the reviews of others with the tune that have scanned with multiple devices and not found trouble codes and have confirmed the o2's are showing ready. I don't have to go through a full inspection. Just a scan of the OBD2.

Regarding it taking an hour, I've also read that with the Evolve tune you have to download your stock tune. Several folks stated it took 1 to 1.5 hours just to download their stock tune.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

As others have stated, it is illegal to force readiness and fool the government. If Evolve is doing this (I will let them chime in here to squash any rumors), they are open to some major violations (but I am not sure that they are). Not only would the tuning company get in trouble, but the person running the tune would also...so why bother force readiness. So instead of risking such violations, if you want sound / power / whatever, go with HFC that will pass emissions and get you almost the same benefits.

FYI, anything catless is for race purposes only (unless you are fully electric and don't have cats) as you know.
Appreciate 0