BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

New Clutch advise

So, dealer is replacing the transmission under warranty and while I'm at it, I'd like to do the clutch as well.
Research has shown there is not much with regards to aftermarket. The choices I have seen are:

OEM. Pros: well it's oem. Cons: flywheel is heavy!
Spec super twin: Pros: twin disk, lighter than oem. Cons: hardly anyone runs it, reviews state quality control is questionable and clutches do not hold.
OSGiken. Pros: twin disk. Cons: price, as heavy as oem and race only.
JB racing. Pros: insanely light. Cons: price and its metallic. Race only.

I don't mind staying oem if I can get the parts at not BMW prices. However I would like the lightness of aftermarket, but I cannot find ANY info relating to anyone running these units on the street.
Any help from members and vendors is highly appreciated.

Thanks!
      07-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Here's three more possible clutches.
  • BMW Motorsport -- makes a tri-mass clutch. Insanely expensive.
  • Gintani -- private label clutch made for Gintani from one of the bigger clutch manufacturers. I believe it's carbon-carbon. Pretty sure they've sold a bunch of them and had great success. Carbon-carbon is supposedly pretty streetable. Not sure on price.
  • ACT -- ACT carbon-carbon clutch, also should be streetable. Not sure if it's in production, but a few prototypes were made.
Here's a guy who has a SPEC clutch, driven on the street for about 1000 miles: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821832

Here's info on the Gintani clutch:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401741
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy
  • Gintani -- private label clutch made for Gintani from one of the bigger clutch manufacturers. I believe it's carbon-carbon. Pretty sure they've sold a bunch of them and had great success. Carbon-carbon is supposedly pretty streetable. Not sure on price.
  • ACT -- ACT carbon-carbon clutch, also should be streetable. Not sure if it's in production, but a few prototypes were made.
Here's a guy who has a SPEC clutch, driven on the street for about 1000 miles: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821832

Thank you. I read the Spec clutch thread you posted, however it seems to be the only one here. Gintani is too expensive, might end up going with Spec super twin. Any vendors here that carry it? The only place I found it at a reasonable price was www.specclutch.com
      07-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute
It all depends on how heavy you want your clutch to feel..OEM is soft, ACT is harder, OSG is hardest. I personally would stay OEM. It's more than capable to handle a good amount of torque.

If your planning to do a blower with more torque you may want to go after market

So you're swapping flywheels too? I would stay clear of that. Unless you want a lot of added chatter.
The spec super twin is a dual plate setup with flywheel as one unit. Chatter does does bother me, just look at my sig. I gave up a quite ride a year ago, and kinda like it.

Why shy away from lightweight flywheel?
      07-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

how heavy is the oem flywheel anyway? i always figured it was pretty light based on it already chattering like the aftermarket one in my Z.

my contribution... at least for the 350Z, a lot of people had good results with ACT.
      07-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I would love to get the clutch pedal feel of a 1M on my M3.

Even if you invest in a better shift knob, SSK, clutch stop, or whatever else there can be to improve the shifting, to me the clutch pedal's reaction just isn't going to accommodate the faster shifting.
      07-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: :O

Garage List
Based on other applications, I'd go w/ ACT over SPEC any day.

In your case, I'd probably just go w/ OEM clutch.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Lalit@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

Had a triple disk OS Giken in my car for quite a while. Traffic made me want to kill myself and the chatter was pretty annoying. Shifts at red line and downshifting in general were unreal. With that being said, I've since gone back to an OEM clutch + flywheel and couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I would stay OEM personally. I think BMW did a very good job with it. I used to think that it wasn't that great but I have had the chance to extensively drive other performance cars recently and it really made me appreciate what BMW was able to accomplish.
      07-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post

Great info,thank you,Sir !
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #11
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Having had one in a previous car, I wish RPS made a clutch for the E9X ...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Why is your transmission being replaced?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
S65Tom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR E90 M3

Believe VAC sells a tilton twin disc carbon-carbon clutch set.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking I am about to have the Spec Super Twin Disk Clutch installed on my 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
So, dealer is replacing the transmission under warranty and while I'm at it, I'd like to do the clutch as well.
Research has shown there is not much with regards to aftermarket. The choices I have seen are:

OEM. Pros: well it's oem. Cons: flywheel is heavy!
Spec super twin: Pros: twin disk, lighter than oem. Cons: hardly anyone runs it, reviews state quality control is questionable and clutches do not hold.
OSGiken. Pros: twin disk. Cons: price, as heavy as oem and race only.
JB racing. Pros: insanely light. Cons: price and its metallic. Race only.

I don't mind staying oem if I can get the parts at not BMW prices. However I would like the lightness of aftermarket, but I cannot find ANY info relating to anyone running these units on the street.
Any help from members and vendors is highly appreciated.

Thanks!
You are correct about these options above only real choice or option is

OEM or SPEC

No one has really ran into clutch problems yet so the Aftermarket for other street version clutch options is really not out there

I am about to have a SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch installed on my M3. I should be getting my clutch in the Mail on Monday will make a appointment with my Stealership to have it installed. I have 100K plus miles on my 2008 E92 M3. My pressure plate is starting to go out very slowly. in the high RPM at 6500-7000 RPM the clutch will slip. Well my car will actually do this if I have my "M" button pressed and I get on it in 3rd gear. at around 6500 RPM my clutch pedal will start going down to the floor on its own as I accelerate and continue to go down until it is no longer in gear and the RPM slips and max out. It will do the same thing in 4th gear. I have to shift before 6500 RPM if I am getting on it with the "M" button pressed. My M3 has been like this for a while and I was in no rush to fix this because its up in the high RPM and only happen when I press the "M" button and get on it. Normal driving everything is fine no problem. My M3 is supercharged now and I had this problem before the Supercharger and now I want to fully enjoy my Supercharger so I am upgrading the clutch. The Stealership wants to much money for OEM $3500+ this include labor and that is not including the fly wheel and the 2008 M3 needs a new fly wheel because they stop making them for the 2008 M3 . I ordered the SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch Kit P-Trim option which includes the flywheel, mine will have the Steel Flywheel $1664, $1200 for Stealership install with discount. total $2,864 If you are wondering why I don't have a shop to install my clutch its because no body has really had this problem yet and no shop is going to use my M3 as a test project and screw it up. If the Stealership screw it up Stealership will fix it I would rather pay more and have it done right. If you want I will give you a review once its installed.

Here is the SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch info for members that want to check out the different clutch options from SPEC. http://www.lmperformance.com/ymm_man...&y=2008&id=207

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,

Last edited by SHADY1; 07-13-2013 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1

You are correct about these options above only real choice or option is

OEM or Spec

No one has really ran into clutch problems yet so the Market for other clutch options is really not out there

I am about to have a Spec Super twin disk clutch installed on my M3. I should be getting my clutch in the Mail on Monday will make a appointment with my Stealership to have it installed. I have 100K plus miles on my 2008 E92 M3. My pressure plate is starting to go out very slowly. in the high RPM at 6500-7000 RPM the clutch will slip. Well my car will actually do this if I have my "M" button pressed and I get on it in 3rd gear. at around 6500 RPM my clutch pedal will start going down to the floor on its own as I accelerate and continue to go down until it is no longer in gear and the RPM slips and max out. It will do the same thing in 4th gear. I have to shift before 6500 RPM if I am getting on it with the "M" button pressed. My M3 has been like this for a while and I was in no rush to fix this because its up in the high RPM and only happen when I press the "M" button and get on it. Normal driving everything is fine no problem. My M3 is supercharged now and I had this problem before the Supercharger and now I want to fully enjoy my Supercharger so I am upgrading the clutch. The Stealership wants to much money for OEM $3500+ this include labor and that is not including the fly wheel and the 2008 M3 needs a new fly wheel because they stop making them for the 2008 M3 . I ordered the Spec Super Twin Disk Clutch Kit P-Trim option which includes the flywheel, mine will have the Steel Flywheel $1664, $1200 for Stealership install with discount. total $2,864 If you are wondering why I don't have a shop to install my clutch its because no body has really had this problem yet and no shop is going to use my M3 as a test project and screw it up. If the Stealership screw it up Stealership will fix it I would rather pay more and have it done right. If you want I will give you a review once its installed.

here is the Spec info for members that want to see check out the different clutch options. http://www.lmperformance.com/ymm_man...&y=2008&id=207
SHADY1...thank you!!!

The website you posted was exactly where I was going to get mine. I will find out Tuesday if I need a new clutch, but I am going to ask on Monday if I can still have them replace it at no cost as they will need to take the tranny out anyways. My dealership so far has treated me really nicely with all the issues I have had so far (broken valve spring, clicking diff, busted tranny).

I will keep everyone posted.
      07-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Why is your transmission being replaced?
Faulty shifting. I complained about over a year ago, and again last month so it was well documented.
      07-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
SHADY1...thank you!!!

The website you posted was exactly where I was going to get mine. I will find out Tuesday if I need a new clutch, but I am going to ask on Monday if I can still have them replace it at no cost as they will need to take the tranny out anyways. My dealership so far has treated me really nicely with all the issues I have had so far (broken valve spring, clicking diff, busted tranny).

I will keep everyone posted.
I had almost the same problems since I owned my M3
Broken #7 valve spring, Broken diff problems internal and outside diff mount bushing worn breaking the diff mounting bolts, I had my Tranmission replaced due to 3rd gear grind at high rpm syncronizer gone bad along with a few other problems and I don't even daily drive or track my M3

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Talking I finally have the SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch installed on my M3

I had the Stealership install my SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch. The Stealership shop foreman did the job himself because I told him I did not want anybody screwing up the job since they have not installed this type of clutch on a E9X M3. Everyone was surprise at how awesome the SPEC kit looked and how big it was. It took only a day for them to do the install . The clutch has a 500 mile break in period, I have no problem putting 500 miles on my M3 I am already over 100k miles My service rep told me the Shop Foreman and the Service Manager took my car for a test drive and said the clutch is awesome either you are in gear or your not . I found out when I drove the car. The clutch is like night and day it is real solid its not like the soft stock clutch you have to step on this bad boy. When I step on the gas and let off the clutch you can hear the tires spin for a second and the supercharger is not helping . I really like the new clutch, some people may say the SPEC Clutch make a chatter sound I don't hear anything no chatter. I am very happy and excited with my SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch purchased . My Stealership charge me $1100 for install and that was with a 20% discount. I am sure I could have went to any other shop and had it done for less but I wanted my M3 done right the first time . Here are some pics of the old clutch the Stealership thought I wanted it back and they put in in the box the SPEC Clutch came in.
Attached Images

Last edited by SHADY1; 07-19-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #19
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
I had the Stealership install my SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch. The Stealership shop foreman did the job himself because I told him I did not want anybody screwing up the job since they have not installed this type of clutch on a E9X M3. Everyone was surprise at how awesome the SPEC kit looked and how big it was. It took only a day for them to do the install . The clutch has a 500 mile break in period, I have no problem putting 500 miles on my M3 I am already over 100k miles My service rep told me the Shop Foreman and the Service Manager took my car for a test drive and said the clutch is awesome either you are in gear or your not . I found out when I drove the car. The clutch is like night and day it is real solid its not like the soft stock clutch you have to step on this bad boy. When I step on the gas and let off the clutch you can hear the tires spin for a second and the supercharger is not helping . I really like the new clutch, some people may say the SPEC Clutch make a chatter sound I don't hear anything no chatter. I am very happy and excited with my SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch purchased . My Stealership charge me $1100 for install and that was with a 20% discount. I am sure I could have went to any other shop and had it done for less but I wanted my M3 done right the first time . Here are some pics of the old clutch the Stealership thought I wanted it back and they put in in the box the SPEC Clutch came in.
So... did you go to a stealership?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #20
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Can you give an estimate how much heavier the clutch pedal feels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #21
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
So... did you go to a stealership?
Yes Stealership did the install.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #22
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Can you give an estimate how much heavier the clutch pedal feels?
The clutch pedal is really stiff and heavy. Your going to put in some effort when you step on the clutch. When I say its solid I mean in a good way. The stock clutch is soft, this clutch is hard. I don't know what a race car or drag strip car clutch feels like but when you put this car in gear its in gear no slipping, no thump its just plan solid and perfect. You can tell and actually feel this is a high performance twin disk clutch.

I recommend this clutch to any of you guys that are going to need to switch yours out down the road. The clutch has a 500 mile break in period. I already done 100 miles so far I am pretty sure I will knock out the rest of the 400 miles by the end of this weekend I am already planning a long trip in the morning

Last edited by SHADY1; 07-20-2013 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 0