BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
mikehhhh
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i - Alpine White, 6spd

BMW Service and Satellite notifying dealer

Hello,
I wonder if this is really true and any of you other guys have encountered this. I'm out of warranty and currently on extended warranty on my 2009 135i coupe. I know about the 1 series battery cable recall but I haven't had it fixed yet.

I got this email from the dealer I usually go to for service claiming that they know via satellite that the recall needs to be repaired. Is this really possible? I know I have the BMW Assist in my car, but does it really tell them when service is due? Or is this just something to try to get me to go to them to fix the recall before I go to another dealer? Below is the email I got from the BMW dealer - I ***** out the name of the dealer as to spare them embarrassment if they are making this up:

As you may know your vehicle communicates with us here at ******** BMW via satellite when services are due. As of right now the system is showing that BATTERY CABLE RECALL due for your vehicle.
An appointment has been scheduled with our service department for your vehicle for ********* If this appointment is not convenient for you please feel free to reply to this email or contact me at your earliest convenience.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Yes it is true. And you wouldn't believe the amount of big brother info that is stored on your key fob either!

What info can the BMW dealer read on our key fob?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401433

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
mikehhhh
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i - Alpine White, 6spd

Wow - that's scary that they have that kind of access to my car. I guess if I get some service done at an independent shop, they will find out about that too? I'm seriously considering it. Now that I'm past 50K miles, they are charging me 130 an hour for labor on service. My last oil change was 128 dollars for 30 minutes labor and parts. Plus 62.50 for "Standard Scope" which I guess is just a diagnostic because my check engine light was on. It was just on because the brake fluid needed flushing and a new filter for the A/C.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe (T. Silver)

If you're mechanically inclined and have a laptop computer, get some OBD2 software and cable and do some of your own maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Its really fun with the ActiveE. BMW keeps such a tight leash on this thing. We need service every 3K miles and the car schedules appoints for me based on when it thinks the next 3K interval is up.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i

What sort of communications does the vehicle have have installed for the sat data to be sent to the dealer? If you do not have any telephone set up do they still get info?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sochermit View Post
What sort of communications does the vehicle have have installed for the sat data to be sent to the dealer? If you do not have any telephone set up do they still get info?
I think only on cars that have iDrive - can the car communicate with BMW. (so you have to have that SOS button on the headliner)

My car does not have iDrive and I never get any kind of emails or contact from BMW AG over here.

@BrokenVert what does your dealer service on your ActiveE every 3K miles? I would think an electric car would need LESS maintenance than a gas or diesel 1er. ?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think only on cars that have iDrive - can the car communicate with BMW. (so you have to have that SOS button on the headliner)

My car does not have iDrive and I never get any kind of emails or contact from BMW AG over here.

@BrokenVert what does your dealer service on your ActiveE every 3K miles? I would think an electric car would need LESS maintenance than a gas or diesel 1er. ?
Thank you and that sounds good as I do not have the iDrive either. In fact I do not even have a cell phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:

Its still a prototype car. They like to keep tabs on it.

Ive already had the motor replaced once - so in my experience they require a little more maintenance. So many PUMA cases opened on this car.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
I think only on cars that have iDrive - can the car communicate with BMW. (so you have to have that SOS button on the headliner).....
I do not have iDrive but do have the SOS button and last week I received an email stating that my car notified the dealer that service was due. Then yesterday I got the 'car on a lift' message at startup. But....several times when I got the 'car on a lift' message previously I was not contacted by the dealer so I'm thinking the dealer's notification was time based.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
exPat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

From the 2013 Owner's manual (p82):
Quote:
Automatic Service Request

Data regarding the maintenance status or legally mandated inspections of the vehicle are automatically transmitted to your BMW center prior to a service due date.

You can check when your BMW center was notified.

1. "Vehicle Info"
2. "Vehicle status"
3. "Options"
4. "Last Service Request"
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
exPat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

After thinking a little more -- this is pure speculation on my part -- but I would love to get a definitive answer from any techs in the know...

Does anyone know whether our 1ers track or log information such as a system reflash or user initiated software mods? This would be easy to program and seems like information that BMW would be keen to have in its database.

Edit: grammar
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
neglectedX5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i/90 325i/02 M5/12 X5

Im sure it could be disabled? Im not too sure. I dont like them knowing what is going on with me. Maybe the module could be disconnected or the sim card could be removed from the module. I have an 08 and have no need for this type of "service".
Appreciate 0