BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

04-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Yobao
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M4 6MT

Need some advice on stainless steel line issues

So my ///M was bought a year old and had came with SS lines in place. A month after attaining the car, I started noticing horrible break squeals. I took it into a dealership and they saw that the front discs needed to be changed in 2K miles and states that that maybe the problem and changed it. I did noticed a little reduction in squeal but not much. Decided to drive it for a little while longer to see how it is. Two months later, the squealing was just unbearable. I decided to take it to another dealer that said my SS brake line was warping my rotors because of the pressure (??). They replaced the rotors but states that they may not honor the warranty the next time because of the SS line. I did again noticed reduced squealing but not by much. I then posted my conundrum on this site at that time and the consensus seems to be that SS line causing warped rotors is crap. Suggested solutions were to try and do a bed-in phase for the new rotors and pads (which I did and it was FUN taking it to 70-80mph and back to 10mph), and anti-squeal foam. I tried both solutions and they did not do a thing for the squeals. It's spring time now and this squealing will bring my blood pressure up and induce several mini strokes in me if I don't get it resolved. I've decided that I'll bring it back to the dealer to have them swap out the SS line to stock line and then bring it back to them to have the problem fixed under warranty. My question is: is that possible? Or are they going to tell me that the squeaking is from the fact that I used to have SS line and wont fix it for me. Any advice on this mater is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading guys. Cheers

Last edited by Yobao; 04-04-2013 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

first question, what pad are you using? My pfc08 will squeal no matter what.

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/R888/VOLK ZE40/ST60,ST40 BBK/MCS 2WAY NR/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/APR GT250/APR SPLITTER
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Your brakes need a good bedding. SS lines are not gonna mess up your rotors

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
MikeBlaszczak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
Stainless lines don't warp rotors. Warped rotors don't cause squealing.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
johnsim
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2010 e90 M3  [0.00]
SS lines warping rotors is ridiculous. At least you got new rotors out of the deal though. I wouldn't go back to that dealer.

Definitely find out what pads you have. Some performance pads will just squeal in all but the most perfect bedding conditions. Sounds like you want to have OEM on there. You might want to just take it to a decent racing shop where they will have dealt with non-stock brake setups before.
Appreciate 0