ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
AUTOX08MC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Mushy Brake Pedal - Resolved

For those, like myself, that have had a soft brake pedal and have tried multiple bleeding methods to solve and still do not have what they feel is an acceptable brake pedal feel I believe I have found the problem. My car is still under CPO warranty and I took it in to resolve an major oil leak, which turned out to be a failed oil pan gasket which was replaced under CPO warranty ($50). While it was at the dealership the shop foreman took it for a ride and found the brakes unacceptable, he recommended a brake flush/bleed which I consented too as I knew even after flushing/bleeding it would still not be particularily good and then they would be forced to fix it. When I got the car back it was much worse than when I brought it in initially so I took it back. They determined that it should have the master cylinder replaced, under warranty ($50), and I just got the car back. I now have, for the first time since I have owned the car (2 1/2 years), a brake pedal that is what I would expect in a Z4M. Your results may vary...
2003 Subaru WRX (Sold),1996 Mustang Cobra (Sold)
1986 Dodge Shelby Charger (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

When mushy are you talking about a long throw of the pedal with minimal brake performance?

I had the same issue, went to change pads and bleed and found air in my system... courtesy of BMW.

Glad you got it fixed, I'm surprised the master cylinder was shot.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
AUTOX08MC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Mine were bled repeatadly using every method that people have discussed on this forum...it was always only barely acceptable when at its very best. Although I have never had issues with the performance of the brakes....they work extremely well on an autocross course with HPS pads but the pedal was always low and, for lack of a better word, mushy. I also was surprised that the master cylinder could be bad...31,000 miles
2003 Subaru WRX (Sold),1996 Mustang Cobra (Sold)
1986 Dodge Shelby Charger (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOX08MC View Post
Mine were bled repeatadly using every method that people have discussed on this forum...it was always only barely acceptable when at its very best. Although I have never had issues with the performance of the brakes....they work extremely well on an autocross course with HPS pads but the pedal was always low and, for lack of a better word, mushy. I also was surprised that the master cylinder could be bad...31,000 miles
Ditto.

I've been planning to replace the master as the only remaining answer is an internal leak. My clutch slave is weeping a bit of fluid, too. Come to think of it, I beleive my CPO hasn't expired yet, so I'll get both done on BMW's dime.