ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Inspection I progress

After buying my 2006 Z4 M Roadster on July 19, 2012 with 31,800 miles, I've done my research here and found out about Inspection I and what's required and the other required time-based service.

The car's in-service date was 8/31/2006 and it was a demo at a dealer in Long Beach. The original owner purchased the car new in July 2007 with 98 miles on it and drove it home to the Bay Area. He had the 1200 mile inspection done in August 2007 at 1,186 miles, but after that he didn't take full advantage of the annual low mileage oil changes. The official BMW service history shows only two oil changes, the first oil service done in January 2009 at 10,804 miles along with a brake fluid change, and the second, an low mileage annual oil change in March 2010 at 17,789 miles. The car was probably out of warranty in August 2010.

I found the original owner here on ZPost (Ronn888), and after PMing him, he said that after the car was out of warranty he had the oil changed by a BMW mechanic at a BMW dealer on the weekends off the books. He said that the oil was last changed in November 2011, but that a full Inspection I wasn't done and the valve adjustment definitely wasn't done.

August and September have been pretty busy with a couple of out-of-town trips, so I finally got some free time and started on all the Inspection I items this past weekend. I changed the oil and filter, did a brake fluid flush (ATE Super Blue Racing brake fluid), and changed the engine air filter and cabin air filter.

I've been trying to decide whether to have the valve adjustment done by a friend who is a technician at a local BMW dealer and also President of our local BMW CCA chapter, or one of several fine independents that we have here in San Diego. At an event this weekend I talked to a fellow BMW CCA member with an E46 M3 and he said that he had the valve shim kit and shim installer tool, he did his own valve adjustment (along with help from another fellow member) and that he'd be more than glad to help me do my valve adjustment.

On Monday I ordered the valve adjustment gasket set from ECS Tuning and the BMW feeler gauges, and ordered the shim installer tool (so I have my own) from getbmwparts.com, along with six each of the 2.24 and 2.28 shims to complete the shim kit. We're planning on doing it some day next week after the parts arrive. Anything else that I need?

Anything else to look at given the car's service history? The original owner owned a motorcycle and rode that most of the time. No track or autocross. It's probably lived a pretty tame life so far. I was thinking of doing a coolant flush since it probably hasn't ever been flushed but I'm not sure that's necessary.

As a follow up to replacing the cabin air filter, I also discovered that one of the trim screws was missing. When I was done I found a small clear nylon washer about 3/8" in diameter in the passenger well. Was this used as a "keeper" for the trim screws? Any other idea where this is from?

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Good stuff.
It's a great feeling to get in there & DIY. ....especially with someone to lend a hand.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 10-10-2012 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
I just finished my Inspection II valve adjustment yesterday at 43,234 miles on odo.
Good procedure here: http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=113415
And here: http://www.euroaddiction.net/forum/m...djustment.html
And here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...lve+adjustment
The Z4M S54 engine is easier to access than the E46 M3 S54 as there is no cowling or fan shroud removal required. Rotating the engine can be a challenge since the Z4M has an electric cooling fan. The water pump shaft nut works for me coupled with a 32mm open end wrench:
http://store.bimmerworld.com/water-p...-nut-p706.aspx
While you've got everything torn apart you may as well replace your spark plugs with OE NGK DCPR8EKP torqued to 17 +/- 2 ft/Lbs..
Very few special tools required. You'll need a micrometer (not a caliper) to measure shims. Harbor Freight has a couple of metric micrometers that fit the bill:
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...uge-66319.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ter-98485.html
You'll also need a good feeler gauge set (the BMW gauge is lame) I use the Craftsman off-set leaf gauge, SKU 40802, price $9.99, that has blades ranging from .005" (.127mm) to .030" (.762mm). The .007" (.178mm) and the .009" (.229mm) work for the intake valve clearance check and the .011" (.279mm) and .013" (.330mm) for the exhaust valves.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...00100600&aff=Y
Just be patient and take your time. Record your measurements here:
S54 Valve Adjustment Worksheet.pdf
Helps to have access to the shim kit but you can purchase individual shims from the dealer.
Total cost of parts to DIY runs around $100; peace of mind knowing the job was done correctly invaluable.
BTW per TIS 11 12 000 Drei Bond 1209 (black) sealant should only be applied to six very small areas between the cylinder head and the gasket. I used 3M™ Super Silicone Seal, 08661 (clear).

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Jim for putting this all together!

In my research I've come across most of this but you've included a couple of things I hadn't seen before. BavAuto and BMP Design both have a couple of good videos, although they're for an E46 M3. I've already downloaded a PDF and Excel worksheet.

I actually went to Sears today and bought the feeler gauges and a 32mm socket, based on a DIY I saw on an E46 M3. Thanks for the info on the fact that we can't use the same way of rotating the crankshaft, so I'll have to exchange the socket for the much more expensive 32mm wrench. I'll have to order the water pump shaft nut that you referenced. Maybe I'll just buy a Harbor Freight wrench when I go to look at the micrometers, since this is the only thing I'll probably use it for. I have a digital caliper but the micrometer would probably be more precise.

Fortunately, my buddy has the shim kit. He also has the sealant. Another buddy is also interested in participating because although he's done lots of work on BMWs, he's never done a valve adjustment on an S54 engine. Between the three of us we should be able to accomplish this with no problems.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Digital caliper works just fine.
You don't need that much precision to determine to go up or down a shim size.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

BMP DIY video show he was measuring the shim with caliper. I purchased micro meter from HF. I returned to get a nice caliper. There are many uses like measuring rotor thickness, tire tread depth etc ....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
jmillet
Captain
Rep

Garage List
$35 is cheap insurance for measurment accuracy on a part (adjustment plate) for which there isn't much room for error.
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ter-68305.html
If $35 is too steep how about $10: http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...uge-66319.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
jmillet
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Go to a bicylcle shop and ask for a Park Tool HCW-7 30/32mm Headset Wrench. Shouldn't cost more than $20.
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...headset-wrench
Or you can put the car in gear and push to rotate the cams.
Removing the spark plugs makes rotation a whole lot easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Thanks Jim for putting this all together!

SNIP
I actually went to Sears today and bought the feeler gauges and a 32mm socket, based on a DIY I saw on an E46 M3. Thanks for the info on the fact that we can't use the same way of rotating the crankshaft, so I'll have to exchange the socket for the much more expensive 32mm wrench. I'll have to order the water pump shaft nut that you referenced. Maybe I'll just buy a Harbor Freight wrench when I go to look at the micrometers, since this is the only thing I'll probably use it for. I have a digital caliper but the micrometer would probably be more precise.

SNIP

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet
$35 is cheap insurance for measurment accuracy on a part (adjustment plate) for which there isn't much room for error.
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ter-68305.html
If $35 is too steep how about $10: http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...uge-66319.html

Quote:
I purchased Mitutoyo 500-196-20 digital caliper which very accurate. I like to have tools that are multi-taskers. I verified the accuracy with my feeler gauges and it was right on the money.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post

The Z4M S54 engine is easier to access than the E46 M3 S54 as there is no cowling or fan shroud removal required. Rotating the engine can be a challenge since the Z4M has an electric cooling fan. The water pump shaft nut works for me coupled with a 32mm open end wrench:
http://store.bimmerworld.com/water-p...-nut-p706.aspx

Very few special tools required. You'll need a micrometer (not a caliper) to measure shims. Harbor Freight has a couple of metric micrometers that fit the bill:
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ter-68305.htmll
The valve adjustment is scheduled for tomorrow!

I ordered the water pump shaft nut from Bimmerworld and it turned out that it was 30mm instead of 32 mm, so I made another trip back to Sears to exchange the 32mm wrench for a 30mm wrench. I also ended up buying the Harbor Freight digital micrometer. Harbor Freight doesn't sell individual combination wrenches, only in sets.

I'm pretty disappointed in ECS Tuning though. I ordered the gasket set on 10/8 along with the BMW feeler gauges and another oil change kit. When I ordered they showed the feeler gauges as "ships in 3-5 days" but everything else was shown as in stock. The order status was then updated to show that the feeler gauges were no longer available, but the order didn't ship. I called on 10/11 to find out why the order hadn't shipped yet and was told that the gasket set wasn't in stock and was scheduled to arrive the following Monday, 10/15. On 10/15 I got an e-mail saying that the gasket set wouldn't arrive until 10/18. I e-mailed back asking them if they would upgrade the shipping due to the unscheduled delay. I got an e-mail back on Thursday saying that the feeler gauges were no longer available so they were going to ship my order! They didn't even address my request to upgrade the shipping. My order is supposed to be delivered today, more than two weeks after I ordered parts that were supposed to be in stock! I've ordered from them several times over the last 1.5 years and spent hundreds of dollars with them. Definitely disappointed in their customer service on this order.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I would have went with the Craftsman feeler gauges, the BMW tech gauges can still produce out of spec lash. You're not the first to be disappointed in ECS. I generally order the kit through Turner or individual parts from penskeparts.com.

You're in Cali, I could have shipped my Mitutoyo mic, feeler gauges, BMW mag tool and spare shims to borrow.

Let me know if you are interested and/or of ECS delays even further.
      10-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I would have went with the Craftsman feeler gauges, the BMW tech gauges can still produce out of spec lash. You're not the first to be disappointed in ECS. I generally order the kit through Turner or individual parts from penskeparts.com.

You're in Cali, I could have shipped my Mitutoyo mic, feeler gauges, BMW mag tool and spare shims to borrow.

Let me know if you are interested and/or of ECS delays even further.
Thanks, I appreciate the offer! ECS Tuning has been great every time I've ordered previously but the one time when I was working against a schedule (time available and an autocross coming up), they let me down. I was actually glad that the BMW feeler gauges were no longer available and I bought the Craftsman feeler gauges.

I like to have my own tools, and part of the deal with my wife is that if I do something myself I can buy the tools necessary to do the job as long as the total cost comes in under what it would have cost to have a pro do it.

When I rebuilt our deck, this resulted in a new table saw, an impact driver, a power planer, and a few other things I didn't have. The results were great, we saved thousands, and I have new tools!

Last edited by SD ///M4; 10-24-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I got the results yesterday from Blackstone for the oil change. Here's what Blackstone said:
""You weren't sure on the oil type, so we're happy to confirm that it was indeed 10W/60 oil. We can also report that it looks like the previous owner took good care of this BMW. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 4,900 miles on the oil. We don't know how long this oil was run, but with wear this close to average, we think something in the 4,000-5,000 mile range would be a good guess. The TBN was still plenty strong at 4.0, so lots of active additive was left (1.0 is too low). Now, go out and have some fun." "

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The valve adjustment was completed yesterday and went very smoothly with only a couple of minor problems. The first one was when I went to remove the banjo bolt on the oil return line, even though I had a pick at the ready to grab the copper crush washer, I managed to drop it. After searching for a few minutes we discovered that it fell all the way through the the floor of the garage.

We both managed to drop a shim, one on the intake side and one on the exhaust side. My buddy had brought a very thin telescopic magnet retrieval tool which was invaluable in retrieving the errant shims. We had also used plenty of shop towels to plug up all the holes.

We replaced 9 shims total, 3 on the intake side and 6 on the exhaust side. Some we replaced just to get closer to the middle of the spec. The inside of the valve cover was pretty clean and I was able to clean up what little varnish there was pretty easily. Everything went back together again easily. It was much easier than I had anticipated, you just have to be patient and precise. I had already removed everything up to unbolting and removing the valve cover before he arrived. It took us 4.5 hours, including a break and a lunch break and we worked leisurely.

Thanks to everyone for their input and feedback, particularly to jmillet who compiled all the info I had researched into one post above, and to shipkiller for his website with extensive info for Z4s and Z4 Ms. I'm really glad that I was able to do this along with a fellow BMW CCA member who brought his shim kit and experience.

All Inspection I items are now completed at 34,064 miles. After seeing the inside of the valve cover and getting a positive report back from Blackstone, I'm feeling even better about this car. I feel really fortunate that I was able to get a Z4 M Roadster in such good condition.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Good to hear job completed smoothly. I am doing my valve adjustment next month. It will the first time for me. I've done it before on 240Z.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

@SD Z4MR Great stuff!!

This is one job I really enjoy doing.

Last edited by inTgr8r; 10-26-2012 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
@SD Z4MR Great stuff!!

This one job I really enjoy doing.
Yep, with all the items that can go wrong with the S54 that is out of our control, I'm glad we can adjust the valves ourselves.