ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
goomanchu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Sepang M Coupe

cig lighter - does it work or not!?!

Guys - sorry if this should be in DIY or electronics. But also may be general knowledge. I have searched the threads - didnt find this answer. I am wondering if my cig lighter just sucks, is it broken, do they all suck, is it a fuse, or what....

Bought 07 M coupe in June, and it had very few miles (less than 1000) - so everything should work like straight from factory.
I tried to plug my phone charger into cig lighter - no power. I thought it was the different german cig lighter thing, because I have also had trouble in my passat unless the connecter was sitting just right. but playing with it did me no good. Interesting, I tried factory cig lighter, and it doesnt heat up/pop out. So I thought - No power.

Checked power with a meter, and for just an instant, I got a flash on the meter that read 11.7, then nothing, and I have not been able to reproduce this. So, it seemed like it had power for a second, but not now, and I can't make it do it again. so then - bad connection, bad lighter, blown fuse...

Explored fuse box and picture diagram. No identifying cig picture on the diagram to say which fuse it is - so not sure which and wasnt going to pull out all 50. All fuses installed except #19, which I read in previous thread is not actually necessary. Regardless, #19 takes a 20a, so I put it in. No change in cig lighter. Didnt think there would be.

Looking for best way to trouble shoot this further. With my MG I was more willing to play with wires and a volt meter and screw around, but this is a nice car and I want to be more careful before diging into dash etc. I think next step is to pull cig lighter, and check connections,. not sure if that is hard to do or not.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

1. It is touchy, and you need to insert accessories just right to work.
  2. There is indeed a fuse for it, as I replaced mine recently when a dime fell in there and shorted it out. I don't remember if I used the supplied diagram in the car, or one I searched for on a forum.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Jaguar_7777
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe E86 2007

Ive noticed mine is really touchy too. Annoying for GPS charging etc.

Tempted to replace with a generic version.
      10-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

I have replaced mine because of this. There is a "clip" in the socket that supposed to hold whatever is plugged in in place but it was broken and could not be bent back to tighten. It is easy to replace, I just got one at the dealer for 20 - 30 some bucks. Not sure how a generic would install. I didn't consider that.
      10-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

This is timely.

This past Friday, I bought a BMW USB charger to run my Garmin GPS from. Its a neat little device that looks like an old style house fuse, looks good in the car, and fits into the lighter socket. It has a green LED that lights up when it has power. $27 from BMW. Its nice because it replaces that stupidly big lighter socket plug that came with the GPS.

But the little BMW USB device rocks around in the socket and you have to wiggle it to make contact to power the GPS. Contrast that with the generic USB lighter socket device I bought yesterday for $12 (so my wife can charge her blackberry in her car). I popped it into my Z4 where it fits securely in the socket and powers up right away every time without having to be wiggled or twisted.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
This is timely.

This past Friday, I bought a BMW USB charger to run my Garmin GPS from. Its a neat little device that looks like an old style house fuse, looks good in the car, and fits into the lighter socket. It has a green LED that lights up when it has power. $27 from BMW. Its nice because it replaces that stupidly big lighter socket plug that came with the GPS.

But the little BMW USB device rocks around in the socket and you have to wiggle it to make contact to power the GPS. Contrast that with the generic USB lighter socket device I bought yesterday for $12 (so my wife can charge her blackberry in her car). I popped it into my Z4 where it fits securely in the socket and powers up right away every time without having to be wiggled or twisted.
I also have one of the USB charging plugs. I bought it on EBay for about $1 and it works great in my car. I can't believe BMW charges $27 for a branded one that has no advantages...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Car-Cig...item3cca571efe
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I also have one of the USB charging plugs. I bought it on EBay for about $1 and it works great in my car. I can't believe BMW charges $27 for a branded one that has no advantages...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Car-Cig...item3cca571efe
Yuuuuup. I initially thought $27 was cheap. But the $12 unit works better and it comes with a USB cable to power a blackberry or other device.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
goomanchu
Private
United_States
Rep

Given everybody's experience, I think the lighter is finicky depending on adapter fit -But, I think mine has bigger problems with that. I was holding the voltmeter with one of the tips touching the contact on the inside of the base of the plug (should be hot) and the other on the metal casing at the top of the plug (should be ground - right?). I had that brief flash to nearly 12V, but then nothing. So even if it is finicky with different sized 12V adapters, I should get current with direct testing of the contacts with a meter. So I think my plug must be bad. I don't know how hard it is to remove it to get a better look.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

not hard at all. just one screw under the ash tray.
      10-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yuuuuup. I initially thought $27 was cheap. But the $12 unit works better and it comes with a USB cable to power a blackberry or other device.
Muppet News Flash!

I've found that if you press the BMW charger in firmly, it works quite well. Which is nice because I like the idea of BMW accessories in my Z4.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Cautionary tale!

I used this USB charger plugged into my cigarette lighter to charge both my phone and my iPod nano shortly after I bought the car in July. I had been using it in my wife's 2011 335is Coupe for about six months with no problem, plugged into the 12V socket under the glove box to the right of the transmission hump. I used it to charge my phone when I'm in her car with her (she uses the 12V outlet in her console). Name brand, only $8.99 from Amazon, two USB outlets, not a cheap eBay item.

However, the cigarette lighter in the Z4 is live all the time, even when the ignition is turned off! The 12V socket in the 335is isn't. I went to plug in my phone in the Z4MR one day and the plug literally fell apart! Apparently the heat generated from being plugged into a live socket 24/7 melted the seam enough to fall apart. I'm just glad it didn't start a fire while it was parked in the garage underneath the two front bedrooms. I no longer keep the USB charger plugged in, I just keep it in the glove box along with the charging cord. Not nearly as convenient, but safer.

The good news is that apparently this charger fits snugly enough so the connection isn't touchy!

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Cautionary tale!

I used this USB charger plugged into my cigarette lighter to charge both my phone and my iPod nano shortly after I bought the car in July. I had been using it in my wife's 2011 335is Coupe for about six months with no problem, plugged into the 12V socket under the glove box to the right of the transmission hump. I used it to charge my phone when I'm in her car with her (she uses the 12V outlet in her console). Name brand, only $8.99 from Amazon, two USB outlets, not a cheap eBay item.

However, the cigarette lighter in the Z4 is live all the time, even when the ignition is turned off! The 12V socket in the 335is isn't. I went to plug in my phone in the Z4MR one day and the plug literally fell apart! Apparently the heat generated from being plugged into a live socket 24/7 melted the seam enough to fall apart. I'm just glad it didn't start a fire while it was parked in the garage underneath the two front bedrooms. I no longer keep the USB charger plugged in, I just keep it in the glove box along with the charging cord. Not nearly as convenient, but safer.

The good news is that apparently this charger fits snugly enough so the connection isn't touchy!
That's a good reason to use BMW accessories purchased from your local dealer. If the accessory causes a problem, they can't play the "we're not responsible because its not a BMW accessory" card. I know BMW stuff tends to be pricier, but $27 for the BMW charger is still chump change, particularly for something that plugs into the car's electrics.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
That's a good reason to use BMW accessories purchased from your local dealer. If the accessory causes a problem, they can't play the "we're not responsible because its not a BMW accessory" card. I know BMW stuff tends to be pricier, but $27 for the BMW charger is still chump change, particularly for something that plugs into the car's electrics.
I just want to point out that even if it is a BMW accessory the electronics in these USB plugs may not be designed to live in a 12V socket that's live all the time (most aren't, at least the two in my wife's BMW aren't). Even if I bought the BMW USB accessory I wouldn't leave it plugged into the socket in my Z4MR when I wasn't using it.

Small consolation that BMW might be responsible if it catches fire in the garage, burns my house down, and destroys both cars.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Small consolation that BMW might be responsible if it catches fire in the garage, burns my house down, and destroys both cars.
I was thinking more along the lines of a case where you bought a cheap after market "made in China" USB unit and it damaged the car's electronics somehow and BMW refused to repair the car. They would have a hard time denying responsibility when the offending accessory is a bona-fide BMW product purchased from a BMW dealer.

On leaving the BMW USB device in the socket all the time, my local dealer tells me it should be no problem. But its probably a good idea to take it out if it won't be used for a period of time.

By the way, I too would be wary of cheap after market devices and leaving them plugged in. I once had a device from Canadian Tire and after a month or two, its plug fell apart and blew the radio fuse in my wife's Accord. Fortunately there was no other damage. My learning from this is that as a rule, I don't buy cheap crap for any of my cars anymore, especially not for my prized Z4.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Refusing to repair would be rare nowadays considering most/all of the E85/86 Z4's are out of the OEM 4yr/50 warranty by now. Not sure about the extended stuff. Do any of those cover electronics anyway?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
goomanchu
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for help with this all. WamZ4 had posted the the panel comes out with the single screw under the coin tray. I undid this and then the whole panel seems like it should come out _ but as I try to pull it out, the bottom comes easily, the top sticks and wiggling, and pulling on this a bit did not make it give. It seems stuck behind DSC button etc. I removed the access panel and tred to feel back there for any clips etc that would need to be released to get it to come, but nothing seems obvious to me. I have wiggled and pulled on it hard enough that I was concerned that if I went harder (and it is plastic) that I would break something. Is there another screw or clip that I have not disconnected to get this piece out?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #17
goomanchu
Private
United_States
Rep

problem solved.

OK. So after all that, and pulling the cig lighter panel (I just needed to pull a little harder...). The connections were fine, but no power to cig lighter. back to possible fuse, had to sort out which one. Ran a broader web search and found this thread on a different forum. Very helpful. It is fuse #5, and this fuse was blown when I checked. Thought I would share the link. The list of what connects to what fuse, combined with the color coded pic in reply #4, as to what is hot all the time and what is hot with ignition, could be very helpful:

http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38888

Now cig lighter works, but is finicky with connections like everybody was suggesting.

I will post this link as a new thread as well, in case most are not reading this thread.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0