BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Finally figgered it out!

Why people hate BMW drivers, that is. It occurred to me when *I was on my way home from work that people more than occasionally mistake spirited driving for arrogance. I have nothing against the guy I just cut off; I don't know him from Adam. He represents an obstacle to avoid, a challenge to pass before an exit or a merge.

Sorry to sound so shallow, but when I am in my 128 the highway is my playtoy, be it zipping around downtown or moving into a lane briskly when passing. When I pull out to pass, it probably seems like I am angry with the driver in front of me, the one that I am passing. I do it briskly, downshift and accelerate like hell and then just as briskly return to the lane I was in.

I might add I've had one accident, in 1977 and my last speeding ticket was in 1979 so I do drive responsibly. It just won't seem like it when we are on the road together....LOL
      09-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
it figgers!! git her done
      09-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Drivers like you are probably the reason why people hate BMW drivers.......
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
Why people hate BMW drivers, that is. It occurred to me when *I was on my way home from work that people more than occasionally mistake spirited driving for arrogance. I have nothing against the guy I just cut off; I don't know him from Adam. He represents an obstacle to avoid, a challenge to pass before an exit or a merge.
Yeup, right there. I think you're confusing inconsiderate driving for spirited driving.

And that's why people hate some BMW drivers.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I think slow drivers hate BMW drivers lol.

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
I think slow drivers hate BMW drivers lol.
or they hate the fact they're not as spirited as BMW drivers
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

You have nothing against the guy you cut off? Well now he has something against you. OP's whole post sounds completely ignorant. Why 'drive spirited' acting like other cars are cones on the road? We all got the car to have fun but don't expect everyone to give you a pass just because you're "driving spirited" because you're probably driving like a douche.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Blue leds in the grille. Really?!
      09-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkNuts View Post
You have nothing against the guy you cut off? Well now he has something against you. OP's whole post sounds completely ignorant. Why 'drive spirited' acting like other cars are cones on the road? We all got the car to have fun but don't expect everyone to give you a pass just because you're "driving spirited" because you're probably driving like a douche.
I may be driving like a douche to some, but I make sure I can see the car in the rear view before I move over. I never asked anyone for any pass - read the OP. Just making an observation; I'm 54 been driving for 40 don't need your judgment.

I do not act like other cars are cones on the road - yes, a car may represent an obstacle or a challenge but let's not forget there's a person in there. Just because I couldn't care less about how he/she thinks I drive doesn't mean I don't value his/her life.

Point is it wouldn't be as much fun to drive without other cars on the road.
      09-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Quote:

Sorry to sound so shallow, but when I am in my 128 the highway is my playtoy, be it zipping around downtown or moving into a lane briskly when passing. When I pull out to pass, it probably seems like I am angry with the driver in front of me, the one that I am passing. I do it briskly, downshift and accelerate like hell and then just as briskly return to the lane I was in.

I might add I've had one accident, in 1977 and my last speeding ticket was in 1979 so I do drive responsibly. It just won't seem like it when we are on the road together....LOL
Great observation...I find myself doing the same!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
Bmw drivers flash their lights like a SOS signal. move away i drive a B.M.W Lol

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
WhiteTgr135i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

I agree on this post. But for me, it's not just BMW's. If i see any car cutting people off, not using there blinker, driving like an idiot, spirited driving, tail gating, then cutting you off, i see it as "ricer" driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
Boxtyp3
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 MG

Garage List
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
+1. Bottom line is, respect for others. If you want spirited driving, go to the track and let all your spirits out. But for public road, never assume it's only yours, hense it's called public. Respect others so others will respect you too.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I may be driving like a douche to some, but I make sure I can see the car in the rear view before I move over.
Make up your mind, did you cut them off or change lanes correctly?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
PapaB
Private
Rep
Drives: '10 135i,'07 MCoupe,'09 X6 5.0

It doesnt give any of us the right to drive like an ass just because are cars are set up to not only enjoy the drive but run better when driven. I wonder how many fools think they are qualified to drive "spiritedly". I would bet not many of them attend track days or driving schools.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:

I have a hard time thinking you figured anything out. Also, the fact that you haven't received a ticket for driving irresponsibly doesn't mean you drive responsibly.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

I only do quick sprinted driving when getting away from mini van drivers and prius drivers...they really can't freaking drive at all
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #18
Captisock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Metallic Black 128i Coupe 6MT

I absolutely cannot stand one bit "spirited drivers" who think they own the road and drive irresponsibly because they have a faster car. It's not fair for you to put everyone around you at risk for your egotistical driving style. Being courteous on the road is one of the most underrated ways to stay safe on the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #19
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDoNiOn View Post
Bmw drivers flash their lights like a SOS signal. move away i drive a B.M.W Lol
actually this is just good driving. Majority of people do this in Europe and especially in Germany.

If I am coming up on a driving doing 80mph and someone else is in the same lane going 65mph, I am going to flashing my lights. Why? Because I am already warning you ahead of time that I am coming toward you at a higher rate of speed and it would be advised to move.

'Passing a vehicle only on the left is a very good rule'

This way I can continue on the lane without disrupting any other flow of traffic that may be going on around me or cutting people off, etc.
      09-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #20
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
actually this is just good driving. Majority of people do this in Europe and especially in Germany.

If I am coming up on a driving doing 80mph and someone else is in the same lane going 65mph, I am going to flashing my lights. Why? Because I am already warning you ahead of time that I am coming toward you at a higher rate of speed and it would be advised to move.

'Passing a vehicle only on the left is a very good rule'

This way I can continue on the lane without disrupting any other flow of traffic that may be going on around me or cutting people off, etc.
Unfortunately there's too many stupid people in the country that don't understand when roads say the left lane is for passing. I've heard countless people get upset when people pass and cut them off because they were doing the speed liming, but they were doing it in the wrong lane. These are the only people that I will purposely cut off, to the point of scaring them because they are a hazard on the road. Between the stupid people that don't know how to get over and the dam truckers I don't enjoy driving near as much as I did 15 years ago.
      09-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #21
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

There is a difference between "spirited driving" and stupid driving. Do the math sometime on what going 5 or 10 mph faster on your daily commute means. Then decide if it is really worth it. I have and I decided it wasn't. So I drive a little over the speed limit to avoid becoming a problem for others and do my best to not "let the bimmer run" when somebody annoys me.

Stupid driving has many forms but lane changing without allowing the other driver reasonably space (like when you can't see them in your center rear view mirror yet) is a good one. Especially when there is no reason. Lots of lane changing, darting between lanes, is another one. Not using your blinkers when lane changing is another. Running red lights belongs on this list. Going 10 mph under the speed limit anywhere and especially in the left lane belongs in the "stupid" category too. Running along in the left lane for several miles going the speed limit or less because eventually you will turn left is REAL popular around here. There are drivers doing stupid things that are agressive and passive agressive. Driving well under the speed limit is passive agressive in many cases. They know they are annoying others and they have decided they don't care.

I don't see BMWs driven especially agressive here. I see more hondas and pickups (my personal favorite) driven stupidly agressively. Minivans too. At least in a BMW, the vehicle is capable of going quicker than average without becoming a problem (if the driver is up-to-it which is questionable).

When I want to find the limits, I go to the track. Public roads are there to be shared politely with others.

Jim
      09-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #22
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtyp3 View Post
Bottom line is, respect for others.
Agreed 100%.

That said, left lane bandits do not apply. They deserve scorn...not respect. Period.
Appreciate 0