BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

07-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Some Video From Calabogie

So a bunch of us got together and made our way up to Calabogie for the weekend. It was a fantastic weekend, small run groups, sunshine all weekend (although a bit on the hot side at 38C).

This was the first time I brought my 991 to Calabogie. It's stock at the moment, so I was running the 20" PZeros, which were a real pain to work with because of the heat. Here's some video of my best session on the second day, lap being the best time at 2:40.55. Still about 20 seconds off the race pace , and way behind MaxL on the weekend !

Looking at the video, I think i've noticed a few things:

1. I consistently turn in too early, which I think is me not keeping my head up (especially in Hook).

2. There were lots of opportunities to trail brake, but I didn't really take advantage of the car (particularly in Temptation and Mulligans).

3. I might need to go down a gear coming into 22. (In 3rd, might need to be in second).

It would be great to get more feedback.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

How's the new ride on track! Looks like fun, but seems like you could be much more aggressive, but guess, new car, walk before you can run. Any comparisons between the 2 and a few shots of the car would be nice am sure it will be awesome becoming familiar with her
      07-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
In my limited experience so far, there are a few major differences between the M3 and 911S.

The 911S is a stiffer platform, and as such rides a lot of more flat (and I don't even have the PDCC option). I've noticed that I can carry a lot more speed into corners than in the M3, but i'm just not used to being able to do it. My brain says slow down, but by the time I reach the apex, I find that I need to add throttle because I just didn't carry enough speed into the turn. And that in turn affects where i'm looking because I often induce oversteer with throttle input before the apex.

The other major difference I find is in balance. Surprisingly, the 911S understeers a lot. That being said, adding a little bit of throttle changes the direction of the car almost immediately, whereas I found the M3 to be much more progressive. I've been struggling with tire temps in the 20" wheels, so I haven't pushed the car too hard through the corners - and I don't have that good pedal modulation yet.

I believe the M3 is a much easier car to drive given its 50/50 balance. And when running in MDM (vs. Sports Plus), the M3 is much more active in 'correcting' the car, whereas Sports Plus only really kicks in once you've cooked it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Thanks for sharing the vid! Frickin rental mustang holding you up.....lol

Too bad I couldn't make it. We should plan another day soon. Glad you are enjoying the car - would love to make you go faster! Hopefully you are going to the glen in a couple of weeks and we can spend some more seat time together. You just need to trust it!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Thanks for sharing the vid! Frickin rental mustang holding you up.....lol

Too bad I couldn't make it. We should plan another day soon. Glad you are enjoying the car - would love to make you go faster! Hopefully you are going to the glen in a couple of weeks and we can spend some more seat time together. You just need to trust it!
I did sign up for the Glen just last week, so i'll see you at the track (and more likely at the bar Sunday afternoon ). I definitely need some more instruction time to take better advantage of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle View Post
I did sign up for the Glen just last week, so i'll see you at the track (and more likely at the bar Sunday afternoon ). I definitely need some more instruction time to take better advantage of the car.
Glad to hear!! Will be a fun couple of days. You get the car around good, just need some more seat time in it to get used to it, then we will be trying to keep up!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle View Post
'

Great!No Sunday afternoon as I will be at Shannonville conducting our Endras BMW customer track day.Should be arriving between 9 - 10 pm,just in time for a few refreshments Going to be busy time for me with 4 days in 6 at the track starting with the EA day at Mosport on Thursday.Looking forward to it
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Just saw your tire setup and maybe the 245/295 stagger adds to the under steer you're describing? Am sure in no time you'll be tearing it up. Car looks fantastic, although have to admit, it does seem a bit big, but who am I to talk
      07-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Just saw your tire setup and maybe the 245/295 stagger adds to the under steer you're describing? Am sure in no time you'll be tearing it up. Car looks fantastic, although have to admit, it does seem a bit big, but who am I to talk
The tire setup is definitely adding to the understeer, but that stagger is common among all 911. I think the main thing is that the car is much more responsive to throttle steer (its very easy to get oversteer with a dab of throttle), but I don't have any confidence in catching the car yet - it's definitely not as easy to slide as the M3.

Also, I think I need to run the pressure on the front tires a bit higher since there isn't much of a load on the front. I may have been running to little pressure in the front which exaggerated the understeer.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

The seven-speed manual is interesting. Are the middle ratios fairly closely spaced, like the M3 DCT, so that you’re working the gearbox quite a bit on track, or are 6 and 7 just tallish overdrive gears?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
The seven-speed manual is interesting. Are the middle ratios fairly closely spaced, like the M3 DCT, so that you’re working the gearbox quite a bit on track, or are 6 and 7 just tallish overdrive gears?
The first 6 gears are pretty closely spaced, quite a bit like the DCT gearing. 7th is extremely tall, it really only comes into play at 85mph or above (you're literally doing 100mph at 3000rpm). Also, you can only hit top speed in 6th, not 7th.

On the track i've been using only 3rd and 4th, which I know has been seriously holding me back. This is just because its been a long time since I really drove an MT and rear drive really does feel strange. I'm sure at Calabogie I could have used 2nd in a couple places. I'm going to the Glen in just over a week, and i'll need 5th there for sure as I redlined in 4th in a couple places the first time I went there. I can't really see using 6th or 7th anywhere even at a track like Mosport.

Last edited by sawzall; 07-20-2012 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0