BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
NucGal
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Is my 135i Normal?

This is my first BMW and I LOVE the way it drives and looks, especially with the top down, BUT.... This is the first car I have owned (and I have owned MANY) that is constantly in the shop for something. At 1500 miles I had the HPFP issue and that was replaced with no further issues.

I have 18k , not even 2 years old and a list of some of the annoying issues
front brakes and sensor replace
Top replaced
Lining for convertible top came loose, replaced
No power in lighter
Windshield washer do not work
Issues with tire pressure sensors
steering wheel leather peeling

I have an 11 yr old HYUNDAI accent ( my Costco car ) that can sit in the garage for 2 months, yet I KNOW it will start with no problem and it does.

Why is my most trouble free dependable car a $10k, 70k accent? I am concerned about what will happen at 4 years 1 day, when I will not be under warranty and will these "minor" issues turn into major mechanical problems.

Are others having these same issues so early on in ownership?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Find a dealer you trust, get it fully diagnosed and be nice and get them to fix everything. I have quite a bit longer list than you, but it's mostly been taken care of since I bought the car because of how awesome my SA is. there's only one nag/creeping issue I have to worry about which is the one of the headlights consistently fails at the worst possible time.

If you don't like your bmw get rid of it. If you are a 1addict embrace the faults. A good deal of em seem to be correlated to it being a vert.

And after reading your list for the second time, that sounds like just ONE visit I have had. I have had much much more go wrong. The only thing that makes me cringe is the damn headlights in my car, my SA has promised me that they should not fail again but honestly I hope it rains before August so I can test that theory(there seems to be a correlation, and yes each and every time the headlight assembly and bulbs are fully replaced).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucGal View Post
This is my first BMW and I LOVE the way it drives and looks, especially with the top down, BUT.... This is the first car I have owned (and I have owned MANY) that is constantly in the shop for something. At 1500 miles I had the HPFP issue and that was replaced with no further issues.

I have 18k , not even 2 years old and a list of some of the annoying issues
Top replaced
Lining for convertible top came loose, replaced
No power in lighter
steering wheel leather peeling

I have an 11 yr old HYUNDAI accent ( my Costco car ) that can sit in the garage for 2 months, yet I KNOW it will start with no problem and it does.

Why is my most trouble free dependable car a $10k, 70k accent? I am concerned about what will happen at 4 years 1 day, when I will not be under warranty and will these "minor" issues turn into major mechanical problems.

Are others having these same issues so early on in ownership?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #3
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucGal View Post
Why? What was wrong with it?

Quote:
No power in lighter
Checked fuses?

Quote:
Tried resetting?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Take a guess as to why this is my forum handle

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
135iMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 White 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Take a guess as to why this is my forum handle
hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just like any Mfg there are problematic cars, but at least they are not major with exception to the HPFP. The HPFP is covered under warranty and is a nuisance. Knock on wood...I only visit the shop for maintenance. Like someone said previously, buddy up to your SA. My last visit was due to an oil change and my SA replaced my spark plugs and valve cover gasket.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

The 1 is not a super reliable car, it angers me but ultimately "it is what it is". Expect things to go wrong, if you are willing to put up with it the car is a joy to drive. As some have said, thankfully most issues are not critical failures, and the hpfp has an extended warranty on it. Knock on wood, but my 'vert has been fairly solid outside of a few quirks and a bad hpfp...buddy buddy your SA!!!! He/she can be a huge asset and advocate when things go wrong.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

09 135 Vert, had the HPFP replaced due to recall, a rear window adjusted, and it runs perfect. No problems, and really love it with the PPK software
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
coda72
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i convertible

I've had my 128 vert for almost a year with no problems at all. Reliability seems to vary a bit with the 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I'll give you a big rundown later today when I'm near a computer...it's say too long of a list to do on a phone

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
WPG D33Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i vert Cobb Stage2

Had my top, headliner and radio replaced since buying my car in Feb. Still love it though.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by coda72 View Post
I've had my 128 vert for almost a year with no problems at all. Reliability seems to vary a bit with the 1 series.
True. Seems you either get a good one (see next para) or you get a bad one and have numerous problems.

I have had several BMWs over the past 5 years (see sig). I have not had a serious issue with any of them. I think I had one sensor replaced on the 535xi, and it was the N54 engine but no troubles there. The X3 threw a code once but it was low battery only and no continuing problems. Always put them on a trickle charger if leaving the car sit for several weeks.

The joy of driving outshines the problems, imo.
      06-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

I know this is a tough thing for a lot of people to accept, but BMW's are simply not as generally reliable as some cars, particularly if compared to Asian manufacturers.
That is a general statement, and there are always exceptions, but I think most will agree that it's true.
My last car was a Honda, and I think I took it in one time in the 4 years I owned it for an annoyance issue. Going to a BMW, I did my research and realized that this would not be the case for BMW. And that has turned out to be true. Tailights/brakelight replaced, 2 recalls, 2 AC evaporators, front brake sensor, odd unexplainable noises. IMO, I think BMW tries to engineer so much into these cars, that the complexity just causes problems that they never anticipated.
Despite all this, I wouldn't trade my 1 for anything right now. I love it more every day. The driving experience is so much better than anything else I have ever had. And I really don't think many Asian cars can compare in that aspect.
So I don't care that it has had issues, and not afraid to take it on a long trip. If you keep that kind of attitude, enjoy the car regardless of it's faults. It will create a whole lot less stress for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Still less problems than my buddy has with him last GM car Pontiac Grand AM GT. All cars nowadays have problems it doesn't matter what manufacturer the only thing on that list I wouldn't have expected was the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
mike06612
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 convertible

We picked up our 2008 135 convertible in August of 2009. Since then we have put on just over 86,000 miles on it.

We had the HPFP replaced, the lens cover on the trunk brake light has cracked and the tail light issue. Other than the air bag warning when we move the seat with something under it, nothing else has been done to the car. It's on it's same set of brakes it came with, the TPMS system still functions, the top is in perfect condition, etc.

Not sure if your experience or ours is what most people experience, but we have certainly been thrilled with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
My list of problems was outrageous.. Car went to the shop twice a month (kept it for almost 2 years). From what I read in your post its normal.. Not saying thats good. My schedule was to busy for this car but if you love it, keep it. Thats the biggest issue I had was I wanted to keep it but it wasn't worth it in my situation.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Glad you love the way your car drives and looks, but sorry to hear you are having problems. Keep this in mind - your 135i vert is a much more complicated vehicle than the Hyundai. Many more parts to have issues with.

Now with that said, should you be having these problems. No.

My 135i has had a few more gremlins than my '02 330ci did. I went into this purchase expecting to have a few more issues though.

Once things are sorted out, hopefully you can buckle in and just enjoy the driving experience.
      07-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
NucGal
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Thanks for all the input. I have two SA and they are very responsive; I have never had to bring it back a second time for the same problem. It seems that mechanically it is still a pretty sound car.

I guess I will embrace the neuroses as I do love the ride. The speeding tickets not so much.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

My problems so far, and yes... I am a nit picker:
1. 2011 135i delivered with wrong wheel tire combo. Dlr replaced no charge.
2. At 5,000 miles, inboard halo ring brighter on passenger side after warm up. Dlr replaced both sides under warranty.
3. At 5,000 miles, carpet popping out from under the door sill on passenger side when stepped on close to sill. Dlr built-up the floor to raise carpet no charge. Now stays under sill. Said this was a service bulletin, though I never heard anyone else complain here.
4. At 14,000 miles, T-connector in driver side headlight washer line broke. Cleaner leaked out on my garage floor for a week until the replacement part was located. Dlr replaced under warranty no charge. Bumper cover not aligned properly during reassembly. Loosened fasteners and realigned at home.

Nothing major. Just a handful of ankle-biters.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0