BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS | e92 M3

Tire suggestions for my OEM 18s

Hello,

I'm in need of rear tires for my OEM 18s. I like the wheels and don't plan on replacing them. I currently run 15mm spacer (front) and 12mm spacer (rear). The tires are oem sizes 245/40/18 (front) and 265/40/18 rear).

What are some some of you all running on these wheels? I found a lot of info on aftermarket wheels but I'm interested in knowing or seeing pics of +sized tires on oem 18s.

I'm willing to replace just the rears or swap all 4 for a setup that makes more sense.

I keep reading about 255/275 but not sure how those would look on these wheels.

My only issue with my stock tires is that I think the sidewall looks big. Could the the actual tire or the size who knows... show me some pics!

Pat
      06-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

255/40R18 front have a good chance of rubbing given the spacers you have. With the spacers out they generally can fit in there.

If you think the sidewall looks too tall right now, you probably should not be going 255/40R18 and 275/40R18, since they are a little taller.

265/35R18 fits up front and is shorter, but is recommended for at least a 9" wide wheel. You may be able to mount it on the stock front 18x8.5, but it wouldn't be ideal.

If you go too much shorter tires on your existing wheels, the fender gap will look too big unless you lower the car.

If you want shorter sidewalls with proper heights, you should run bigger wheels, 19" being the most popular.
      06-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS | e92 M3

Thanks Ben.

The more I think about it the more I realize that what bugs me isn't so much the height but the shape of the tire.. they tend to be rather "round." I'm reading on the michelin PSS and feedback looks great. I did see them installed on OEM 18s and they look pretty much the same as the stock PS2.

For instance, my Camaro has 275/40 tires on 9inch wide wheels and the sidewall looks pretty flush.

I'm guessing this could be a trait characteristic of michelins but the performance benefits of a PSS are hard to ignore...