ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

Brakes and battery

A couple of questions. First, I had the front brakes and rotors replaced about 1000-1500 miles ago by my local indie shop on the ZMC and on slow and easy stops coming up to a red light they squeal, under a hard brake there is no noise. I was told the pads needed to bed in. How long does this take? Same shop did the battery replacement and now I'm having weird intermittent issues with..the heated seats don't come on, the DSC does not come on, the ringing that happens when you first turn the key on no longer functions. Again these things are more off than on. I'm not exactly thrilled with the shop as I've been going there for quite awhile but I don't want to sound like a complainer to them. Advice?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

Check grounds for the battery issues, clean posts and cables.

Brake squeel is most likely metal pad backing against the metal caliper piston they make an anti-squeel for this it looks like snot.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

New issue. Battery and brakes straightened out, now the DSC, ABS, Brake, and TPMS lights are all on. Went back to the indy and they ran the codes and apparently I have none of the above. They say it is probably a module gone bad or possibly a fuse. Question: Which module? Which fuse to look for? Thanks in advance for any help.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgood4u View Post
New issue. Battery and brakes straightened out, now the DSC, ABS, Brake, and TPMS lights are all on. Went back to the indy and they ran the codes and apparently I have none of the above. They say it is probably a module gone bad or possibly a fuse. Question: Which module? Which fuse to look for? Thanks in advance for any help.
If I recall correctly that is a bad ABS sensor. Not sure how to troubleshoot that one. BTW- what shop are you using? I have had great luck with Buckhead Motor Works in Sandy Springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the insight. I would rather not say which shop at the moment, they seem to have an impeccable rep around the Bimmer community and I would rather not make my feeling public at this time. I'll just move along quietly.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Might not be a bad ABS sensor, maybe the disconnected it and didn't plug it back in.

As for the squeal, that's purely mechanical, nothing electronic. Apply brake quiet to the back of the pads. If you have a few basic wrenches and a jack you can do it yourself. It's scary, but worth the learning experience.

Keep us posted on the electric gremlins!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Called the local dealership and talked to a friend of mine who is an SA and we'll do a diagnostic on it, hopefully it will be something simple. Apparently the indy shop has technology passing him by.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just got the results from the diagnostic check and the stability control sensor and the steering sensor are both shot, nice. Good thing I have an extended warranty with the dealership and these are covered. At least I have a 2012 328cic loaner to cruise around with this weekend and the weather is supposed to be beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Finally, after 12 days, my baby is back in my hands and I couldn't be happier!! The dealer went above and beyond in accomodating me and making this repair painless. Kudos to Taylor and United BMW Roswell
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Glad it all worked out!
Appreciate 0