ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
EM-KOOP
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Coupe

Fluid Leaking From Both Rear Brakes. HELP!

Hey guys,
i just went out to my car and noticed brake fluid leaking from both rear brakes. i haven't done anything out of the ordinary since i got her so i don't know why this is happening. and why from BOTH rear brakes? anyone have the same experience or have any advice as to what i should do?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Are you the original owner? If not, do you know if the brake system is stock or were there any modifications like brake lines, caliper rebuild, etc. in the past?
      03-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

^Good questions by Kurgan.

More simple possibility is that someone simply didn't do a good job of tightening the bleed screws.

Have you determined the source of the leak(s)? Fairly easy to do, jack up one side of the car using the jack point in front of the rear wheels, (using all standard safety methods) and see if you can find the source of the leak by tracing the fluid. (Not sure what your experience/skill level is, so I'll give the standard warning here: do not touch brake fluid with bare hands, or get on paint, etc. Toxic and kills paint faster than you can say "paint".)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC, 06 X5 4.4i, 99 323i

Like Finnegan said, trace the source and if possible, take a pic and post it.

You said you haven't done anything out of the ordinary. I take it that means you haven't taken it to a shop for a brake flush or anything?
      03-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
do not touch brake fluid with bare hands
Uhh...I broke that rule LONG ago. Clutch master cylinder went out on my m3 and I was drenched in it by the time I was done replacing it. I guess I'll be more careful in the future.

Anyway, just a quick +1, it's pretty simple to check the bleeder screws (more like bolts). Just pop the cap off of them and see if they are wet. If so, tighten them. If not, you may need to replace the calipers or brake lines.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
Uhh...I broke that rule LONG ago. Clutch master cylinder went out on my m3 and I was drenched in it by the time I was done replacing it. I guess I'll be more careful in the future.

Anyway, just a quick +1, it's pretty simple to check the bleeder screws (more like bolts). Just pop the cap off of them and see if they are wet. If so, tighten them. If not, you may need to replace the calipers or brake lines.
Yeah, bleeder bolts .

Getting some brake fluid on your skin isn't going to kill you. It's not good for you though, and it's just a good safety practice to wear gloves when there's a chance of getting it on hands.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Ron Stygar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Coupe

34 00 ... General Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

Getting some brake fluid on your skin isn't going to kill you. It's not good for you though, and it's just a good safety practice to wear gloves when there's a chance of getting it on hands.
Part of 34 00 ...

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
EM-KOOP
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Coupe

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for all of the responses guys!
Here's a pic from the rear end. Is the brake line supposed to be jammed up against the hub like that? It looks like the sharp angle that the brake line is bent at is cause for a lot of stress at the joint(visually where the leak is coming from).

I'm gonna go ahead and replace the lines tomorrow but I was wondering if anything should be done about that 90° angle that the hose is bent at. And it looks like the hose is too short so it's right up against the hub.
Appreciate 0