ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4

bavauto oil extractor

can someone explain to me which tube to jam into the dip stick thing?

it has 3 and I dont want to force the wrong one in there.

what i found odd is watching the how to video on Bavauto's website shows that they jammed one tube into the other one which I don't get.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I don't have that model but I have a Mity-Vac which is similar. The reason for the multiple tubes is that different dipsticks tubes can accommodate different size tubes. You want to use the largest one that will fit your dipstick tube because the larger the diameter tube, the faster your extractor will suck out the oil. The reason that they show having two different size tubes connected is that no one tube is usually long enough to get from the bottom of the dipstick tube to the extractor. What I did is found the largest size that fit my BMW's and then went to Home Depot and got a 6 foot section of that size tubing. That way, I don't have to connect two separate tubes together--with one being smaller than the other.

The extractor I have actually works off my compressor and using this "custom" tube setup, I can get 5.5 liters of oil out of my M in about two minutes--and it gets every bit of oil out that opening the drain plug gets. It's especially nice on BMW's where the filter sits up high and you never have to raise the car. It's useless on my wife's X3 (or other 2006+ non-M Z4's) because there are no dipsticks on the N52/54 engines.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0