ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
RecycledTeen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E85

Add another "new" Z4 owner to the list

Hey fellow forum members. As I had posted in the classifieds I was a long time lurker, infrequent poster here, who had been "eyeballing" the Z4 roadster as a potential purchase for some time as an extra DD / weekender. After getting a few bucks together got a little more aggressive in my search and came across one that suits my needs just fine.

2003 Z4 3.0 Roadster, Auto, Sterling Gray / Black, 43k miles, Convenience, Premium, and Sport Packages, Heated Seats, Bi-Xenon's

Not factory fresh but has lots of potential. Drove it home 300+ miles without a hiccup. Lots of fun (but wow, those RFT's! )

Now need to start addressing issues:

- Replace (or repair????) front bumper - has a nice gash in it (sticking with original, I like having the fogs) - DONE!
- Restore headlight covers - DONE!
- Repair top motor (latches / unlatches but doesn't go up or down on it's own - CAUSE: RH actuator leaking - R&R) - DONE!
- Replace tires, plenty of tread left but thinking of going with non-RFT's and run like others do with a tire repair kit, an air pump (plus roadside assistance, and a road hazard warranty) lots of choices, tough to decide. - DONE! Replaced with a set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110
- Washed and waxed it but will need to get it professionally detailed (to get the numerous little scratches / swirl marks out), after the bumper swap, of course

Here are a couple of "day one" pics:

Unwashed with a very dirty interior and engine bay (how some people can sell cars like this I'll never know...)

Shot of the front with the bumper gash (and attempted re-painting of bottom - need to see about removing that hidden curb magnet )

One immediate area of attention was to replace the lower windshield trim panel (rotting away) so off to the parts dept (in stock!). Pic of the old one removed and the new one waiting to go in.

Ok, here's one for you: might not know it but you may be housing unwanted tenants if you park yours outdoors a lot among the trees. Amazing what one finds when doing stuff like this.

And finally (for now) a small pic of the new trim panel installed (and I only broke two fasteners pulling the old one out!)

So whatcha think?

Next up will be shots of the "after" inside and out; I think the headlights came out pretty, pretty good. I bet she doesn't remember the last time she was ever cleaned so good, but then, I guess that's the OCD in me.

One of my former E30's:

Last edited by RecycledTeen; 03-03-2014 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
hello! welcome to zpost!

i'm really glad that cars like this aren't being sent off and forgotten. people like you who aren't afraid of getting in there and buying a z4 that needs a bit of repair i fully encourage. thank you for taking the time to bring back a little more beauty to the world!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

Looks great! Btw what's that part number?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

Congrats, you will love it. Is the car lowered? It looks very low in the photos, but might just be the angle.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

welcome to the 2003er club!!!
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Retrodog
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Looks great. Good pictures. I also recently bought an 03 Z4 and need the trim for under the wipers. How much did it cost and how much of a PITA was the install?
      03-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
RecycledTeen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I do like "old school" stuff along with the latest and greatest and this one is right in-between. Having owned a couple of Miatas, an MGB, and a Fiat, this is right up there on the fun meter.

The car's stock as far as I know, but from what I read these year model sport packages do sit lower than others (?) so yeah, it sure looks and is rather low (as evidenced by the front lower lip).

The trim panel (or "cowl grill" as it's called) part number is 51-71-7-017-022 (item #1 on this diagram). It lists for $136 but I got it for $122 with CCA discount.

Not too difficult to swap, four plastic fasteners in front (just be sure to have patience with them and best to just buy new ones), one which is a bitch to get to without removing that electrical junction box cover (driver's side); remove the wiper arms (good idea to mark their location); pop it straight up. New one comes with new plastic grommets that hold it up close to the windshield so don't worry about breaking the old ones. Also need to disconnect and re-use two plastic clamps that hold a wire bundle. Oh, and be ready to vacuum Install in reverse order. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

That is a gorgeous car! I particularly love that color with the ellipsoid rim - classic, in my opinion.

Until you get the power top working properly, I think there is a way to manually operate it so you can driive top down, using the pull latch in the trunk if I recall correctly. Do you have a garage? If so, you could drop the top and leave it that way until you get the power mechanism functioning again.

Congratulations and welcome!!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i - 6MT SOLD

Ahh, nice grab Dave! My favorite color by far!

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Congrats and hope to see less lurking and more involvement on here now!

Those are one of my favorite OEM BMW wheels!
      03-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
davebho
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 M Coupe

congrats bra...from 1 newB to another

pics look good too!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
RecycledTeen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Gracías amigos!

The top electrically unlocks fine, I manually push it down, then electrically locks ok as well. It's the up / down function that's inop. Haven't troubleshot it yet, but soon (unless anyone else has had that exact problem and can point me to the first thing to look at).

Today was a gorgeous day to go topless (84 degrees in the middle of March!). And so why not snap a few "Day Two" shots atop a parking deck?

Yes, these wheels do make a statement for this car. Was pretty much on my "must come with" list.

Headlights "restored" - not too shabby.

Now stop looking at that bumper gash!

Gotta love a clean engine bay.

Gotta love a clean interior to sit in even more.

I really should've taken "day one" shots of those areas - yuk!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Congratulations! Enjoy!

Here's a thread I and thread II that will help with your soft top issues put together by Shipkiller.

Doctorcolorchip is a good option for dealing with scratches and small rock chips. Very easy to use and great results. I'd do that, let it cure a bit, then get it detailed.

Looking good already, and I'm sure it's only going to look better with the care you're providing!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

totally agree on the wheels...thinking about ditching my 19's for a set with spacers.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
RecycledTeen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks again. Didn't know about doctorcolorchip; will need to compare with paintscratch.com

Quick Q: the red light cover ( {edit} / Clown Nose LOL) on bottom of rear view mirror - is that a standard sized part that's interchangeable from other mirrors? Appears it's not an item sold separately, and certainly not seeing the need to purchase an entire mirror just for that missing piece (probably went fishing with the led light bulb)! Anyone have one sitting around???

Last edited by RecycledTeen; 04-16-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3 30i-'11 BMW 128i

Garage List
Welcome! Nice score on the '03 (great color, too).
One area to look at, if you haven't already, is the cooling system. My '03 developed a leak last summer, and it wasn't too hard to repair. I swapped in a new reservoir for the radiator, and while in there new hoses as well. Those components literally snapped together easily.
This off season saw a replacing of some of the plastic bits behind the front bumper (previous owner did some damage). Again an easy fix...

Bumper off...

Some of the damage, driver side...

Passenger side...

Out of hibernation...

Sorry I didn't take reconstruction pics. I was working to get the bumper back together and put the car on the road. Wheel wells will probably be replaced in the fall or winter when the car is stored.

This site is a treasure-trove of information. If you have an issue, chances are you'll find the solution here.
Good luck with your '03 and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #17
RecycledTeen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

^ Thanks for the additional tips! Yeah, will be inspecting the area behind the bumper whenever I get to replacing that.

Got some more work done this weekend, but got myself in the middle of something major now.

Seeing how I came across all that debris under the front windshield cowl when I replaced it, and coming across this tidbit of info here (Cabin Filter), I decided to clean mine out as well. And for good reason!

Then, after looking at everything possibly related to the top issue, I figured it has to be the motor, and there's only one way to get to that, so....

(pretty straight forward thanks to Shipkiller's DIY!)

Unfortunately, besides it not working and there appearing to be not much fluid in the reservoir (as described HERE), there's no other indication the motor is bad so hoping replacement fixes things.

{edit} Well, it didn't. Turns out the RH actuator was leaking so that needed to be replaced. But the power soft top now has a new motor and actuator so it's back to 100% now!

Last edited by RecycledTeen; 04-09-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
Retrodog
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 19103 View Post
Thanks everyone! Yeah, I do like "old school" stuff along with the latest and greatest and this one is right in-between. Having owned a couple of Miatas, an MGB, and a Fiat, this is right up there on the fun meter.

The car's stock as far as I know, but from what I read these year model sport packages do sit lower than others (?) so yeah, it sure looks and is rather low (as evidenced by the front lower lip).

The trim panel (or "cowl grill" as it's called) part number is 51-71-7-017-022 (item #1 on this diagram). It lists for $136 but I got it for $122 with CCA discount.

Not too difficult to swap, four plastic fasteners in front (just be sure to have patience with them and best to just buy new ones), one which is a bitch to get to without removing that electrical junction box cover (driver's side); remove the wiper arms (good idea to mark their location); pop it straight up. New one comes with new plastic grommets that hold it up close to the windshield so don't worry about breaking the old ones. Also need to disconnect and re-use two plastic clamps that hold a wire bundle. Oh, and be ready to vacuum Install in reverse order. Enjoy!
Thanks for the info on this. I already had an appointment to take my car in for a coolant leak on Wednesday. I just called ahead and got them to order this part as well. I guess I'll just have them install it while my car is there. The cracking on the old one has been really bugging me so I'm looking forward to getting it replaced with a new one.
      04-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #19
RecycledTeen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

April update:

Besides getting that top issue sorted out (new motor and new RH actuator), I was also able to get bumper repaired. Opted to go with recommended local shop to fix it up at a third of the cost for a new one (plus paint) and must say they did a great job. (of course, money "saved" was used on fixing top, but oh well...)

Before:

After:

New tires installed and, as everyone else attests, running "normal" rubber is like night and day over RFT's.

Maintenance wise, after having tires off it looks like will need brakes in a few thousand miles or so, looking at options now (Cool Carbon or Hawk HPS; regular rotors or slotted).

Update Mod List:

- Added mesh windscreen
- Added alarm components but would still like to find clown nose & led
- Added Aux Input
- Replace with M wheel (Q: stock wheel doesn't have radio controls; does swapping wheel with them enable that function or not without the correct harness?)
- Replace pedals (?)

Oh, also looking for a nose bra (for road trips) <--- Cancel that!

She's coming along...

Last edited by RecycledTeen; 04-16-2013 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I would recommend you get a clear bra for the nose. It works great and you don''t have the issues a removable bra has(chaffing, debris underneath, moisture). Since your nose is freshly painted, it will look great and stay that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
RecycledTeen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

One year update (wow, already?).

Not much to report, other than I've enjoyed it the past year going down to FL and up to VA, out to the shore (sorry, the beach, as they call it in NC), and all around town. She's had a recent oil and diff fluid (redline) servicing, and now time to get to a few cosmetic items.

- Hoping to get that M wheel installed soon.
- Swapping seats out with Dream Red equivalents, though I sourced 2006 ones and this will unfortunately mean more of an effort.
- Do something about the mesh grille (has a crack from PO bumper scrapes).
- Finally address the minor road rash on hood (seems like Doctor ColorChip is the way to go here).
- (and yes, chickdr) probably clear wrap the bumper after all this time LOL.

{edit}

Borrowed pic for look I'm going for (with brushed alum, of course):

Last edited by RecycledTeen; 04-16-2013 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #22
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Awsome Car! I believe that car is identical to my first Z4. Always loved the brushed aluminum trim and those wheels... not to mention the color, just beautiful.
Appreciate 0