BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Gas cap stuck??!!!

Strange situation: I am the original owner of a '08 135i, no problems with the gas cap until now. I am on the way to the airport, stop to gas up, and can't get the cap to budge. (not the door, the cap) I didn't over-tighten it before, and the weather was cool, but couldn't get it off.

I borrowed some pliers from the station, and twisted so hard the plastic cover popped off, and even cranked the aluminum piece underneath so much it bent. I am a reasonably strong guy, and this thing wouldn't budge.

So, this was to be a romantic getaway w/ my wife, and as such it was not to be delayed. We drive on to the airport and parked with 30 miles left in the tank (I live 90 miles from the airport). We return Sunday at 5p, and I am trying to figure out my next step.

I am going to buy a wrench that can span the outer edge of the cap, and if that doesn't work, I am going to have to call BMW assist. But that option sucks because it will be Sunday night and I live 90 miles away, gotta get back to the kids, etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I appreciate any help.
      03-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Are you turning counter clockwise jk haha. But seriously :eeps:
At any rate, make sure whatever you are doing is more destructive to the cap than the tank; The cap is relatively inexpensive (17$) whereas the filler neck is
over 140$

03-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

I pulled into a gas station recently, and the gas flap (door) wouldn't open. I have comfort access, and it's supposed to just pop open when you push on it. No luck. Then I walked away, and back again, and it worked. But for a minute there, I was a bit worried. Not sure if there's a manual bypass in the car - I hope so!
      03-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
I have comfort access, and it's supposed to just pop open when you push on it.
Comfort access or not it should pop open on all BMWs MY 2000+.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
Comfort access or not it should pop open on all BMWs MY 2000+.
Unless the car is locked.

But this doesn't help C_Topher.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep

Yes, the fuel filler door is tied to central locking - look at the little pin that extends when you lock the doors with the fuel filler door open.

But a stuck gas cap???
      03-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

My car wasn't locked when the gas filler door failed to open. But, as noted, that's a different problem than the OP is having.
      03-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
J0E
Year One of the 1
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT 'vert

Lots of great advice for the OP here...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0E View Post
Lots of great advice for the OP here...
Seems like everyone would like to help but can't. I can't recall anyone having this problem before as it seems like the outside portion of the cap is not moving the inside (green) part which is stuck. Seems like drilling it out may be the only solution.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Do you have some pesky friends that may have super-glued your cap down? Memories of high school come flashing back into my mind...
      03-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Topher View Post
Strange situation: I am the original owner of a '08 135i, no problems with the gas cap until now. I am on the way to the airport, stop to gas up, and can't get the cap to budge. (not the door, the cap) I didn't over-tighten it before, and the weather was cool, but couldn't get it off.

I borrowed some pliers from the station, and twisted so hard the plastic cover popped off, and even cranked the aluminum piece underneath so much it bent. I am a reasonably strong guy, and this thing wouldn't budge.

So, this was to be a romantic getaway w/ my wife, and as such it was not to be delayed. We drive on to the airport and parked with 30 miles left in the tank (I live 90 miles from the airport). We return Sunday at 5p, and I am trying to figure out my next step.

I am going to buy a wrench that can span the outer edge of the cap, and if that doesn't work, I am going to have to call BMW assist. But that option sucks because it will be Sunday night and I live 90 miles away, gotta get back to the kids, etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I appreciate any help.
I'm guessing you didn't cross thread the cap?

Odd. The gas tank may, for some reason, have become over pressurized, and that pressure is pushing on the cap.
Or, the pressure if ok but the cap's vent has somehow become blocked and the pressure is still pushing on the cap, and thus you can't get if off.

It sounds like the car is now parked till you get back?
Hopefully, when you get back some of the pressure may have decreased and the cap will come off. If it does, you should take it to the dealer asap and have the system checked out. There could be a faulty vent in the cap or somewhere else.

OR, perhaps there is excess vacuum in the tank pulling on the tank cap.
Either situation obviously isn't good.

Sorry I couldn't be of any specific help.
Looks like a tech is going to have to look at it.

Try to remove it by hand. If it won't come off call for road side and get in to the shop, especially for everyone's safety.
I wouldn't risk using anything metal that could hit other metal and cause a spark, especially since your tank is low on fuel and full of fuel vapor.

If you are determined to get if off yourself, try a rubber wrench like the type used to get oil filters off. They are adjustable and might fit around the cap. Some are made of mostly plastic and rubber so much less chance of spark or scratching.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep

Well, wanted to update you all and thank you for the replies. I got back to the airport last night, having bought 12-inch channel-lock pliers and put them in my checked luggage. To start, I covered it with a thick sock (thanks PM90 for the safety reminder) and tapped the edges of the now mutilated gas cap like you would a jar with a stuck lid. Then my wife (120 lbs. wet) reaches in and turns the cap off with her bare fingers!

So...I don't know what happened. My guess (then and now) is that there was some sort of vacuum phenomenon, as RPM also suggested, that resolved itself sitting for a few days. It wasn't cross-threaded or over-tightened - always to the click and stop, like a torque wrench.

I have attached a photo of the cap, notice the amount of force I had applied to it trying to get it off before my trip, bending and tearing the aluminum.

In any case, my wife's new nickname is Wrench!
      03-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep

ehh, you can't really see how the center is bent. Anyways, was happy to put gas in the car!
Attached Images

03-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
Golden3ye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

thanks for the update and glad it got sorted out.

Seems like your wife just needs to take you with her to the gym

SOLD:
2012 135i | Le Mans | 6MT
1986 535i | Cirrus Blue Metallic | 5MT
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Topher View Post
Well, wanted to update you all and thank you for the replies. I got back to the airport last night, having bought 12-inch channel-lock pliers and put them in my checked luggage. To start, I covered it with a thick sock (thanks PM90 for the safety reminder) and tapped the edges of the now mutilated gas cap like you would a jar with a stuck lid. Then my wife (120 lbs. wet) reaches in and turns the cap off with her bare fingers!

So...I don't know what happened. My guess (then and now) is that there was some sort of vacuum phenomenon, as RPM also suggested, that resolved itself sitting for a few days. It wasn't cross-threaded or over-tightened - always to the click and stop, like a torque wrench.

I have attached a photo of the cap, notice the amount of force I had applied to it trying to get it off before my trip, bending and tearing the aluminum.

In any case, my wife's new nickname is Wrench!
Good to see it came off easy.

If the cap is damaged you'll likely get a "service" light.

Hopefully this is just one of those rare things that doesn't come back.
If it does then BMW should check out the EVAP system to make sure something isn't blocked. But, if there were the ECU should have detected it and given a warning light.

Enjoy your car again.
Appreciate 0