ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
any ideas on what caused this?

Below is a pic of the front driver side brake caliper, clearly some corrosion or abrasion took off the grey paint finish on the caliper. The other pic is the rear, that looks to be in fine shape. Its cosmetic on the front, as the brakes work fine.

Anybody else ever see this, or know what would cause it? Going to need to get this cleaned up, hate seeing it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

for starters they're supposed to be black no grey.
Someone used a corrosive cleaner on them?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

A strong acid cleaner would do that for sure. But the calipers are in fact supposed to be black, so the previous owner may have had them repainted at one point
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

if it was repainted, they used non-high heat paint. constant high temp/cooling down will cause most paint to flake off metal surfaces. (we use heat guns to remove paint from steel work, they literally flake themselves off)

repaint them with caliper paint or engine spray paint and it should last a long time.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYZ4Jack View Post
if it was repainted, they used non-high heat paint. constant high temp/cooling down will cause most paint to flake off metal surfaces. (we use heat guns to remove paint from steel work, they literally flake themselves off)

repaint them with caliper paint or engine spray paint and it should last a long time.
OK thank you all. Interesting that they were painted (didn't know that orig was black - but yes you can see some black in the front caliper pic above). If you rub the silvery metal part, part of it is smooth, part of it is rough (as if it was ground or filed down).

Good point on the hi temp/cooling impact. Makes sense as I am starting to see the same paint corrosion on the other front caliper too, but much less so that the one shown above.

I am only investigating so I can prevent it from happening again after I fix it.

All this begs the question... do I want to just have them repainted properly, or put some different calipers on there.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrinks View Post
OK thank you all. Interesting that they were painted (didn't know that orig was black - but yes you can see some black in the front caliper pic above). If you rub the silvery metal part, part of it is smooth, part of it is rough (as if it was ground or filed down).

Good point on the hi temp/cooling impact. Makes sense as I am starting to see the same paint corrosion on the other front caliper too, but much less so that the one shown above.

I am only investigating so I can prevent it from happening again after I fix it.

All this begs the question... do I want to just have them repainted properly, or put some different calipers on there.
Define "properly" - if you mean professionally, no. G2 caliper paint kits have the best finish and because it's brush application, you don't need to worry about overspray. For normal street use, I'm certain they'd hold up fine. But on the track, not so sure... but then again I really don't know ANY paint that would hold up track usage (aside from powdercoating which is expensive and requires all brake components to be removed).

Me personally, I'd wait till next time I have to swap pads/rotors and try the G2 stuff then. You could let the caliper hang and not have to worry about rebleeding. Or find a used set of calipers on fleebay and send those to get powdercoated.
      01-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Properly but not necessarily professionally unless im feeling lazy and dont want to do it myself. Yes, Would try to coincide it with other brake work too. Good call on G2 thats an easy and cheap solution.

Didnt even think of the powdercoating route. interesting idea as well. And then there is the 'all new' route.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
RevsPlease
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, Black Saphire

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc
Properly but not necessarily professionally unless im feeling lazy and dont want to do it myself. Yes, Would try to coincide it with other brake work too. Good call on G2 thats an easy and cheap solution.

Didnt even think of the powdercoating route. interesting idea as well. And then there is the 'all new' route.
Stoptech or Brembro BBK. Two birds, one stone
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevsPlease View Post