BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

AFTER oil change....

so after 9.5qtz my oil meter still look like this...

So i bought a set and still had to buy an xtra oil cause of the oil meter... I put 9.5qtz and its still showing this...

is this normal..? SHOULD I PUT SOME MORE OIL?

12-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

no one? ...
      12-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Wait a couple days and drive around. Do not add oil. Your totally fine at that level. Then after a couple of days and some miles if it hasn't moved use your own discretion. If you add, I wouldn't add much at all. Good luck and don't overfill for the love of god.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I would not add oil either. Do like PhillyNate said. Give it a few days. You're fine at that level for now.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

You're perfect. Remember, the top of the line is the maximum you are supposed put in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Manual says not to add oil until you get the "+1" in the display,
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

normal
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Remember that at its very "max" level, it only reaches the top arrow level and thus there is some "black" space between top max level and the top of that vertical bar (its not completely filled in orange at max filled). If its filled that extra bit up top than it is in an overfill situation and will tell you there is too much oil so you are extremely close to max.

I would wait atleast a day to verify that is a consistent reading and if it is I would add about 1/5th of a quart until you hit the top arrow if you are ocd like some of us and need to see it at the top arrow! Each time you add wait a day and verify the level is consistent.

The very worse case scenario is you somehow overfill and have to drain a bit out of the front sump which takes 5 minutes and one hex tool, no jacking car or anything. So its not like a do or die situation
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

The higher arrow is an indicator of maximum oil fill level. Your current level is perfectly safe. Please also keep in mind that the electronic dipstick highly inaccurate and can give erratic readings dependent on how long the car has been running, if it has been parked on an incline for an extended period of time, the weather, the car's mood, the zodiac, moon phases, etc...

Try to drive the car for a bit, shut it off for some time, and then read the level again. Repeat this procedure to get a better idea of your oil level. Many of our clients have called expressing concern about low oil or excess oil, only to see the e-dipstick give a drastically different reading just hours later.

Cliffnotes: you'll be okay.
      12-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
The higher arrow is an indicator of maximum oil fill level. Your current level is perfectly safe. Please also keep in mind that the electronic dipstick highly inaccurate and can give erratic readings dependent on how long the car has been running, if it has been parked on an incline for an extended period of time, the weather, the car's mood, the zodiac, moon phases, etc...

Try to drive the car for a bit, shut it off for some time, and then read the level again. Repeat this procedure to get a better idea of your oil level. Many of our clients have called expressing concern about low oil or excess oil, only to see the e-dipstick give a drastically different reading just hours later.

Precisely
      12-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Last oil change I had my display looked exactly like yours when I picked it up. Checked it the next day and it was at the max fill line and has been there since. Like Ilia said electronic dipstick is not the most accurate thing in the world, you'll be fine...

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys, its actually been 3 days so i guess its safe and ill leave it alone....

Again thanks guys
      12-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #13
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
Bel-Tirid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 e92 Interlagos blue

This is normal level
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
Minator
Whatever
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 DCT '09 E92m3 sold

Pushing it

9.5 L is pushing it....you must have done a long drain and sucked oil out of your filter housing? You might try to start your car on a level surface...wait till you get a oil level reading...and re-set your oil level indicator...don't drive till you get a new reading....I think you fine would not add oil. The crazy thing is weird sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Since I don't use my car much, I let the oil drain for days, and with the rear raised, since the drain holes are toward the front of the sumps. And also suck the oil filter housing bone dry, so there's no way you can drain any more oil than I do. And I have to pour exactly 9.5L of oil for the top mark.

So no, I wouldn't add any more. Another misconception is to wait for days for the sensor to read 'right'. Problem is you CANNOT rely on the sensor's reading the car throws out since it happens randomly, and you could have been braking, throwing oil forward, and reading less. The sensor is at the very rear of the main sump, so any acceleration, braking, or incline when car takes a reading, will throw the reading off either higher or lower, giving the impression the sensor went haywire. Just like you should never check your tire pressures when hot, you should always check your oil with the engine fully hot (after 15 miles), and reset on the same level surface as always. Just treat it like if you were checking the dipstick (identical conditions for consistency). A sensor is not ideal (still prefer a dipstick), but mine has been 100% consistent since day 1; you just need to understand how it works.

Since it's a sensor, you could be a 1/4L from the top mark or an ounce. If you don't get the top reading with a manual reset like I explained above, add just a bit of oil, drive for 15 miles or more, and do another manual reset until it does. I can bet you it'll be at the top when reset properly. And if not, with 9.5L, you're probably an ounce away tops from doing so.

Finally, just like a car with a dipstick, I ALWAYS keep oil topped off in all my vehicles. Much better than carrying a bottle of oil in the trunk and running low in oil. And the best part is you can monitor oil consumption petty accurately that way. Also remember you'll be barely reaching the top mark of the sensor, so if it drops within a few hundred miles, don't panic. Any little oil consumption will bring the oil level below that top mark. So far I've used my oil a max of 4K miles, and zero oil consumption. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

There is not need to manually reset your oil sensor. The sensor also does not take a reading at all until the engine is warm. It also does not use a "snapshot" like you are explaining. It actually checks it and lets it run for about a minute before reading any number because it monitors the level for a minute or so and then averages that so unless you happen to be accelerating or braking for a minute straight it will not effect the readout.

Its a really accurate guage actually and no need for a dipstick at all really.

Everytime you click the guage for a reading it re-reads it. No need to do any kind of "reset"
Appreciate 0