BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

12-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
MK599
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

ESS Tuning Direct Flash Loader Many Questions

Hey so Im looking into picking up an ESS Tuning Direct Flash Loader but have many questions. Im running a catless system.

As I view it, this is how the process works (correct me if Im wrong);
1. Pay for item and receive it.
2. Plug flashloader into car
3. Plug flashloader into comp and import file
4. email file to ess
5. receive response email and upload file to handheld.
6. Plug device into car.

Now here are my questions:
1. When sending the initial file to ess, do I send them info as to what I want such as what octane I run and etc or do they just send you what the norm is (ie. higher rpm, removed speed limit, remove cold start, reprogram throttle response and torque)?

2. So by following the steps above, I should have 2 tunes (stock oem and new tune) saved into the handheld to change whenever I want?

3. How do I acquire more tunes? Do I just email ess as to what I want the tunes specs to be?

4. Does each additional tune cost money? How much? Who do I pay?

5. What if I wanted a tune with all the regular stuff (ie, removed cold start, remove speed limiter etc) but one with 91 octane and then the same tune but with a higher octane like 94+ for track. Do I really have to pay for 2 tunes?

6. Why do they say catless tune is for off road use only? Cause they have to (regarding legal emissions)? or because Im just really not supposed to?

7. What would happen if I accidentally didnt change back my tune to oem before going to the dealer for service?

8. To people that already have them, do you keep the unit in your car so you can change it whenever you want. or do you just leave it at a specific tune?

9. Is my oem tune just straight stock. Or is it like stock program with some small reprogrammed parts?
Im looking to have my "oem stock tune" basically factory but with the ses light and emission error codes erased or removed or cleared or whatever. Does this count as a stock tune?

10. Im planning on installing recaros, can the tune code for the airbags and what not? Just so I dont have to buy a seat module thing.

May have more questions, but cant think of any at the moment.

Thanks

Last edited by MK599; 12-01-2011 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: Added questions
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

PM sent. If you guys have questions about our products just shoot me a PM, email or call.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
HoOdRiCh///M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue E92 M3

if you could PM me with the same question and responses that would be great!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Veratyr
Dr. Drive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E92

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Questions

Hey Roman, could you pm me the same answers to questions as well. Always like to read everything I can and maybe learn something.

Thanks
2009 BMW M3 E92/space gray metallic/VT2-600 ESS Supercharger/extended silver novillo leather/performance carbon fiber interior trim/DCT/BMW performance spoiler/19" Volk TE37SL wheels in pressed graphite.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Dellort_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Interested in this info as well.
PM me please.
Or just post all the answers here?
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red 6MT E92 M3 | Active Stage 2 w/Meth | KW Clubsport | OSS | Challenge Front Lip | Vorsteiner Type 2 Rear Diffuser and Bootlid | Brembo | Recaro | Akrapovic Slip-On | Challenge Race+ X-Pipe | Vossen CV3 | OEM 359M | TE37SL
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

why not just post the info so we can all read it... it is public forum and this kind of info could help a lot of users
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
why not just post the info so we can all read it... it is public forum and this kind of info could help a lot of users
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Problem solved!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:

The OP is correct on how Directflash works. As far as the other questions I will answer them below.

1. When sending the initial file to ess, do I send them info as to what I want such as what octane I run and etc or do they just send you what the norm is (ie. higher rpm, removed speed limit, remove cold start, reprogram throttle response and torque)?

When you order from our website it will require some of this info to be included as you go thru the order process. The product description will tell you what is included as a standard and what is optional. Any notes you want to include or make sure we know about you can include in your email when you send in your stock file.

2. So by following the steps above, I should have 2 tunes (stock oem and new tune) saved into the handheld to change whenever I want?

Correct

3. How do I acquire more tunes? Do I just email ess as to what I want the tunes specs to be?

Correct but there are very rare scenarios that would require additional tunes unless you change hardware such as cats.

4. Does each additional tune cost money? How much? Who do I pay?

Depending on what you are requesting there can be additional costs for custom tuning or changes made. These costs can vary so its best to always contact us for a quote.

5. What if I wanted a tune with all the regular stuff (ie, removed cold start, remove speed limiter etc) but one with 91 octane and then the same tune but with a higher octane like 94+ for track. Do I really have to pay for 2 tunes?

There is no need to run different maps for changes in fuel quality as the M3 engine management system is fully adaptive and will adapt on it's own when needed, all you have to do is drive.

6. Why do they say catless tune is for off road use only? Cause they have to (regarding legal emissions)? or because Im just really not supposed to?

We want customers to know that products listed with this label are not designed to meet or comply with any emissions standards or laws and should be used with this knowledge.

7. What would happen if I accidentally didnt change back my tune to oem before going to the dealer for service?

This is up to your dealer.

8. To people that already have them, do you keep the unit in your car so you can change it whenever you want. or do you just leave it at a specific tune?

The unit does not need to be in the vehicle unless you want to have access to it.

9. Is my oem tune just straight stock. Or is it like stock program with some small reprogrammed parts? Im looking to have my "oem stock tune" basically factory but with the ses light and emission error codes erased or removed or cleared or whatever. Does this count as a stock tune?

Your stock tune saved is 100% your stock tune, we do not modify it.

10. Im planning on installing recaros, can the tune code for the airbags and what not? Just so I dont have to buy a seat module thing.

Engine management software does not control seat functions.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
MK599
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks Roman for taking the time to answer.

Just wanted to clarify something about question 7 followed by a question.
The questions intention was not to ask about warranty but if they were to reflash my ecu with the latest update while I had one of my tunes on, will it just get reflashed and all I would have to do is plug in the handheld and reflash to my tune or does it screw the whole system up?

And for question 9, I was basically wondering what do people normally do when they have to go to the dealer with their catless setup?
The way I see it, there are two ways;
1. go to dealer with tune, if they reflash your car. You reflash it back. Potential warranty void though.
2. go to dealer with stock tune, with ses and increased emissions warnings. I guess potential warranty void as well?

Thanks for clarifying about how the car is adaptive and I wont need another tune for certain stuff. I guess something that threw me off was the ability to carry 10 different tunes. If the car is adaptive on some levels, why is there a demand for so many different tunes lol

Also, can you clarify the difference between the ess tune system and something like a jb4.
My friend has a n54 with jb4 and hes able to switch maps on his steering wheel and make gauges read for something else and clear codes. Why cant we have that?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK599 View Post
Thanks Roman for taking the time to answer.

Just wanted to clarify something about question 7 followed by a question.
The questions intention was not to ask about warranty but if they were to reflash my ecu with the latest update while I had one of my tunes on, will it just get reflashed and all I would have to do is plug in the handheld and reflash to my tune or does it screw the whole system up?

And for question 9, I was basically wondering what do people normally do when they have to go to the dealer with their catless setup?
The way I see it, there are two ways;
1. go to dealer with tune, if they reflash your car. You reflash it back. Potential warranty void though.
2. go to dealer with stock tune, with ses and increased emissions warnings. I guess potential warranty void as well?

Thanks for clarifying about how the car is adaptive and I wont need another tune for certain stuff. I guess something that threw me off was the ability to carry 10 different tunes. If the car is adaptive on some levels, why is there a demand for so many different tunes lol

Also, can you clarify the difference between the ess tune system and something like a jb4.
My friend has a n54 with jb4 and hes able to switch maps on his steering wheel and make gauges read for something else and clear codes. Why cant we have that?

Thanks
If the dealer updates your car to a newer version of software the Directflash will not allow you to plug in and flash in your original tune. You will need to read out the new file and send it in for an update.

Taking the car in to the dealer with catless you have the option of going in with the tune and no SES or going in stock with an SES in most cases.

Piggybacks are a stand alone device that intercept and manipulate the information going to the ECU, they essentially trick the ECU into doing what is wanted. This is very different than actually reporgramming the factory ECU with the changes desired which is a much more complicated process. There really is no need to map switch a modern BMW NA car on the fly. Once it has been programmed correctly it will perform properly under most any given scenario unless you make a major hardware change. N54 is a turbo motor which can run different boost levels to meet a desired power level, this can only be done by switching maps.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

how long does it take to load stock tune and then re-load modified tune?
      12-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #13
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post

There is no need to run different maps for changes in fuel quality as the M3 engine management system is fully adaptive and will adapt on it's own when needed, all you have to do is drive.

Thanks Roman for the answers. I still have some doubts. Hope you can help:

1. If the engine management system is fully adaptive, why you offer 91 and 93 octane options when ordering. Where I live I can get 91 and 93 but 93 octane is becoming more difficult to find. Can I switch between both without changing the tune?

2. If I do not raise the rev limiter or top speed governor and return the programming to stock before taking the car to the dealer for service, is there a way they can detect I had a tune?

3. Time it takes to program, time to return to stock

4. Do I really need a battery charger while programming the ECU

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzm3edan View Post
how long does it take to load stock tune and then re-load modified tune?
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #15
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

We build your base file on the fuel you use most often but the system is fully adaptive so it will self correct if you change it. This is the same process the stock software uses.

Because your original file is saved, if you flash back to stock there is nothing that would flag the dealer other than raised RPM.

Time to switch between tunes is about 5-10 min.

We always recommend a charger when flashing your ECU as a precaution.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #16
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i

If I may, I 'd like to chime in here as I've done the ESS tune with my Akra:

- the stock file download from the OBD II port is the longest part of the process, it took nearly an hour.

- the time to upload the modified file back into the OBD took around 30 mins.

- a battery charger is essential otherwise the voltage drop will interrupt the download/upload process and you'll have to start again

One final thing: the instructions say to complete the whole process with the car's ignition in "position 2"mode ie with all dash lights on, but I found that this didn't work on my car. I found that the download/upload only installed successfully when the ignition was in "position 1" mode, ie only the idrive screen and radio on.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #17
135IS
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 LMB 135I / AW 1M

Garage List
2009 135i  [7.00]
get the blower!
AW 1M: Current #211 of 220
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #18
USAF M6
DO EPIC SH!T!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 35d / 2007 M6

Garage List
2007 BMW M6  [0.00]
2007 M6  [8.75]
Roman,
Can you please describe what is involved with switching between tunes?
Thanks
      03-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I have the ESS tune with Akra evo as most of you know and love it. Def would recommend it as well as I would recommend ESS and Roman.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF M6 View Post
Roman,
Can you please describe what is involved with switching between tunes?
Thanks
Plug in to the vehicles OBD port, select the file you want and load. Process takes about 10 min.
Appreciate 0