BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

09-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
CMM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Titanium Exhaust + OEM Exhaust Weight

I have search and searched and found nothing. I have heard every exhaust out there and none can give me what I`m looking for. So I have narrowed it down to keeping my OEM Exhaust (possibly modified) and upgrading my stock midpipes.

I have checked my options and most midpipes are about $2500 for stainless steel. A bit too heavy and price too steep for my taste. I contacted Akaprovic and their x-pipe is $2,400 but requires adapters to fit the OEM exhaust which are over $400 and have secondary cats, and I`m interested in full catless.

BTW, weighed the OEM exhaust and:

OEM Mufflers: 51 lbs
OEM Midpipes: 40 lbs

Total weight: 91 lbs!

I have contacted several other companies so let's see what they say. Any other recommendations?
      09-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Most catless x pipes from reputable companies are around $1,600 - $2,000.00; some even less. I highly suggest you look into the Challenge Race X Pipe or the Gintani Catless X Pipe as those seem to be the two most popular on the forum and have proven gains.
I believe both Alekshop and IND make the adapters for Akrapovic, they may have a cheaper price than $400. Akrapovic also makes a catless X pipe, but from what I hear it is a special order item.

Good luck with your car!

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMM3 View Post
I have search and searched and found nothing. I have heard every exhaust out there and none can give me what I`m looking for. So I have narrowed it down to keeping my OEM Exhaust (possibly modified) and upgrading my stock midpipes.

I have checked my options and most midpipes are about $2500 for stainless steel. A bit too heavy and price too steep for my taste. I contacted Akaprovic and their x-pipe is $2,400 but requires adapters to fit the OEM exhaust which are over $400 and have secondary cats, and I`m interested in full catless.

BTW, weighed the OEM exhaust and:

OEM Mufflers: 51 lbs
OEM Midpipes: 40 lbs

Total weight: 91 lbs!

I have contacted several other companies so let's see what they say. Any other recommendations?
The stock muffler sounds great, albeit too quite for my taste. Now when you start removing things ahead of it, the tone of the rear muffler changes at low RPMs under heavy load. In a parking garage, to me, it sounded like a high revving 4liter w my fabspeed hfcs + xpipe. If you have a full catless, it will be even more dramatic. Also, you will lose some of the staccato in the mid-range. It sounds mean at high RPMs - racy; not as composed as the stock setup. I wasn't satisfied, so I got the akra rear section which cleans it up. The akra masks the "fartiness", for lack of a better word, with BASS. It also returns some staccato to the exhaust note.

But it doesn't hurt to try the minimal mod, and then adjust ; ) I think the Tubi rear section sounds amazing, but only a few people have it. Won't save much weight with it though, which is also a nod to the akra if you want to drop that much cash. I would also coat the tubi cans because they show. I can tell you the akra stuff is amazing in your hands - you will be shocked with the quality.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
CMM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
The stock muffler sounds great, albeit too quite for my taste. Now when you start removing things ahead of it, the tone of the rear muffler changes at low RPMs under heavy load. In a parking garage, to me, it sounded like a high revving 4liter w my fabspeed hfcs + xpipe. If you have a full catless, it will be even more dramatic. Also, you will lose some of the staccato in the mid-range. It sounds mean at high RPMs - racy; not as composed as the stock setup. I wasn't satisfied, so I got the akra rear section which cleans it up. The akra masks the "fartiness", for lack of a better word, with BASS. It also returns some staccato to the exhaust note.

But it doesn't hurt to try the minimal mod, and then adjust ; ) I think the Tubi rear section sounds amazing, but only a few people have it. Won't save much weight with it though, which is also a nod to the akra if you want to drop that much cash. I would also coat the tubi cans because they show. I can tell you the akra stuff is amazing in your hands - you will be shocked with the quality.

Good luck!
I`m changing the X-Pipe and then the exhaust. I`ll do one at a time and see how I like it.
      09-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
CMM3
Private First Class
Rep

So here an update. It's been about a week since I started my quest for titanium xpipe and so far it only led me to the Akrapovic which is almost $2,500 and requires an adapter directly from Germany that cost another $400. On my quest to find x-pipes for a reasonable price I got a response from a company in Japan that has them for $1800 shipped to my door! Weight is only 10.0lbs. So figure a 30lbs weight reduction and 15-20whp. Not bad. I`ll let you know as I find more information about this.
      09-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
masitr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
So here an update. It's been about a week since I started my quest for titanium xpipe and so far it only led me to the Akrapovic which is almost $2,500 and requires an adapter directly from Germany that cost another $400. On my quest to find x-pipes for a reasonable price I got a response from a company in Japan that has them for $1800 shipped to my door! Weight is only 10.0lbs. So figure a 30lbs weight reduction and 15-20whp. Not bad. I`ll let you know as I find more information about this.
Which Japanese company is it? I know akrapovic does have a catless x-pipe available, but I think its around $500 more.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
CMM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masitr View Post
Which Japanese company is it? I know akrapovic does have a catless x-pipe available, but I think its around $500 more.
Yes, but then you need adapters and then modify it the xpipe to make it work.
      09-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
e92Mjunky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 S65 swap

we weighed our E92 stock rear muffler on a UPS shipping scale and floated between 53-54 pounds...our DRB exhaust systems weighed in at 27 pounds...pretty good weight savings for a T304 stainless setup, one of lightest on market...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I have been in the same boat and am trying MRF x pipe. It is modular so you can replace the the pipe the removes the cats with their HFC version. You may or may not like sound but it is of top quality and less than 2Gs. I am not affiliated just a customer and know what you are going through.

Check this thread for my own clips
"Here is a clip of the stock exhaust and X pipe".

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
CMM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92Mjunky View Post
we weighed our E92 stock rear muffler on a UPS shipping scale and floated between 53-54 pounds...our DRB exhaust systems weighed in at 27 pounds...pretty good weight savings for a T304 stainless setup, one of lightest on market...
Sounds really good btw.
      09-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

Akra evo saves 53 lbs over stock
      10-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #12
e92Mjunky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 S65 swap

thanks, it is finally getting noticed..it is a great bang for buck system...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #13
CMM3
Private First Class
Rep

Found an UK company that can make the X-pipe in Titanium for $1,600. Weights 10lbs.