BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

EXXEL Distributions

09-16-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
faddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Anyone drives M3 to a ski resort?

I was pretty much decided on a 2012 coupe until I went to test drive one and mentioned the salesperson that I would be driving it a lot in winter like every weekend trip to Snoqualmie summit or Crystal mountain. He told me that he wouldn't advise driving an M3 there.

There have been many threads on how good M3 handles with a good pair of snow tires but ground clearance and uphill is still an issue. I would like to hear from someone who drives an M3 to a ski resort, especially around Seattle, and if they ever had any issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
BMW003E
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, M2C, & X5

I haven't driven to a resort in the winter, but I have got through a couple of nasty blizzards over the pass and driven around on ice and packed snow without any problems. I've got a second set of wheels with snow tires that I swap out in early November. Obviously clearance is an issue if you're going through deep snow, but then again, if you're going through deep snow an SUV or truck would be better.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
faddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Good to hear about your experience. I think I am going to jump the gun.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
mmmpowered
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe

I live in Seattle and drove my M3 last year to Crystal, Stevens, Baker, & Whistler. While I made it to each place and back, I really regret selling my 4Runner. Ground clearance isn't really an issue since they plow all these roads pretty well althought the parking lot could be dicey. My biggest problem was when people stopped going uphill; Baker switch backs, pulling into the lower lot at Stevens, etc. (Blizzak's)

In addition you have to worry about people sliding around you and people carrying ski's poles etc near your car. I'm going to do it again this year but will have another sport utility the following year. If you can avoid it, avoid it. Otherwise, it is pretty funny rolling into the lot in a slammed M because people like to and then
      11-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
I made it up to Steven's, Snoqualmie, and Crystal with no problem. I was running a set of 19" Blizzak LM25 on a set of OEM M6 forged rims.
      11-22-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
It almost seems to me like you'd be asking for something bad to happen. I'm going up to Crystal this weekend, and my SA just told me that my car would be in this friday.

I know a lot of people with trucks/AWD, and even if I didn't, I personally wouldn't want to take my car up there. One of a few things I'll miss about my Audi, but as a project car, the M is in an entire different class and a much stronger platform. No regrets.
Appreciate 0