BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

09-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
UltimateDrive3487
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Dinan versus M3 performance exhaust

Which is better and why?
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...3319&perf=true

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D660-0...an.aspx#page=1

If neither what should I go with? it should be noted that I want to stay under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

I could not tell you which is better as I have not heard the Dinan but what I Can tell you is that I love the sound of the M3 Performance exhaust.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

No cat back is going to void your warranty. However, if you have it installed somewhere, be careful as to how they install it. Some are removing bolts that hold the differential in place, and then are not re-installing these bolts back properly, resulting in diff failures. Not very common, but has happened enough times on here to make sure one pays attention to it. So like the rest of us, shop based on price, sound/noise/tone, and availability. Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
If you go for an xpipe later on get the dinan. If you'll just stick with the axle back then go with the performance
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I had the Dinan and now I have the BMW Perf. This is how I would compare them ....

In my experience, the fit and finish of the two exhausts is different. My Dinan did not line up properly out of the box, and the tips were not of equal length. I tried to get Dinan to replace the exhaust and they claimed it must have been damaged in shipping (it wasn't) and that the different tip lengths were acceptable. Needless to say, I was very disappointed and now believe Dinan's supposed warranty is crap.

The Dinan exhaust is also very 'basic' in terms of looks. And of course only one tip is functional. This is a deal breaker for some but I would have been cool with it if the exhaust had at least fit properly.

The BMW exhaust fit perfectly and is much better constructed. I did have a problem with the paint peeling inside the tips however.

Neither exhaust drones or is overly loud but the Dinan exhaust, as well as most aftermarket exhausts, seems to change the stock tone and past 5000 rpm you lose the exhaust sound and just hear the engine.

The BMW exhaust changes character with increasing revs and gets louder all along the way. Amplifies the OEM sound I would say, but has unique tones that are very appealing. I love this exhaust on the track!

Buying an exhaust is very much a thing of personal preference but my recommendation would be the BMW.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Guess which one I'll say I've read many post where the 2 "dead" pipes would be a deal breaker. If you read Dinan's explanation in the Dinan University section on their website, you'll have a better understanding of why it's designed that way. Also if you're going to spend the coin on a exhaust, it should at least remove those 2 big azz tumors hanging under the back of your car Now to all that say the "dead pipes are a deal breaker.......do you think the passenger side hood air intake is taking in air? Do you believe the side gills are sucking air?.......nough said..............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

^ except that both the stock and the M Performance exhaust have 4 functional tips and no drone, so it's definitely possible.

I'm not bothered by the look of the canisters. I would prefer without them hanging of course, but not bothered.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
^ except that both the stock and the M Performance exhaust have 4 functional tips and no drone, so it's definitely possible.

I'm not bothered by the look of the canisters. I would prefer without them hanging of course, but not bothered.
No one has said it's not possible........it's just a different approach. And who really notices what's coming out of an exhaust tip (besides us)? If a soccer mom says that you have a clogged tip......then you're obviously driving too slow if she's that close and you might want to consider trading cars with her..............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
k2e15
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

...subscribed
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Now to all that say the "dead pipes are a deal breaker.......do you think the passenger side hood air intake is taking in air? Do you believe the side gills are sucking air?.......nough said..............Phil
Does just "one" of our hood air intakes get black with carbon while the other look brand new? No; because that would look dumb, just like the Dinan mufflers do after a few days of driving. I also believe their tips are the worst looking in the business, especially how from the rear, they dont match the mufflers. Is that now a deal breaker? For me it is and I actually like Dinan stuff alot (just not the axle-back).

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

The tips on the Dinan didn't bother me. The sound was good. But the M Performance sounds much better and as a slip-on alone sounds much more aggressive and a little louder. Also as stated by AMPowerJ it sounds like a factory exhaust which I like.
      09-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Does just "one" of our hood air intakes get black with carbon while the other look brand new? No; because that would look dumb, just like the Dinan mufflers do after a few days of driving. I also believe their tips are the worst looking in the business, especially how from the rear, they dont match the mufflers. Is that now a deal breaker? For me it is and I actually like Dinan stuff alot (just not the axle-back).
I don't know what Dinan exhaust you've looked at, but all my tips look the same (even after a track day)......maybe that's why they decided to use black tips. Now, do I believe Dinan is the best in the aftermarket business......that's subjective and I would have to try every aftermarket exhaust out there. But for me they make a quality product and most importantly they stand behind their products. This isn't my experience with Dinan and I'm sure it won't be the last......Phil

Last edited by ///M Ryder; 09-12-2011 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
I don't know what Dinan exhaust you've looked at, but all my tips look the same (even after a track day)......maybe that's why they decided to use black tips. Now, do I believe Dinan is the best in the aftermarket business......that's subjective and I would have to try every aftermarket exhaust out there. But for me they make a quality product and most importantly they stand behind their products. This isn't my experience with Dinan and I'm sure it won't be the last......Phil
I don't want to take this thread off track but they don't stand behind their products in my experience! Did you read my post Phil?

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

The Dinan looks like a $300 exhaust made in a garage. It may be well designed, but no way I'd put that crap on my car. And the BMW is overengineered and too expensive (should have been S/S), plus not the preetiest, but painting the mufflers black eliminates that issue for me. Bottom line is if I was forced at gun point to buy one, it'd be the BMW hands down, but I'm not going to do that voluntarily . For those who don't mind storing the giant stocker, buying the BMW performance would only mean a hit between purchase price and resale down the line. I'll be moving in a year or two, so decided to stay stock. Good day folks.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

OP I'd be interested to hear what you make of all the opinions.

Depending on what kind of sound you are going for don't discount the Active Autowerke system either. Install on this one is plug and play, and it looks and sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Dinan middle, rear, and software....is a win for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

you can probably buy a full pipe dinan for the cost of the OEM Performance axle back only... which i think OEM performance is well over hipe..

Plus... looks and quality, price i dont think its worth it... even if it was made out of inconel... F THAT...
      09-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #18
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
I don't want to take this thread off track but they don't stand behind their products in my experience! Did you read my post Phil?
We all have an opinion about this. My information is based off my own personal experiences with Dinan......nothing more or nothing less. While you say they don't stand behind their products, I say they do.......so where does that leave us? At the end of the day, the OP will need to make his own decision based off the information he's read here or a gut feeling. So I'll end my opinion by saying, OP make up your damn mind so the rest of us can go drive and listen to whatever exhaust we overpaid for ....................Phil
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #19
UltimateDrive3487
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Let's broaden the scope from not just Dinan and BMW performance but to all exhausts. What is your favorite?

Keeping the BMW warranty is a must as it is a newer car.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #20
LockeGilber
Rep
Drives: bmw

No cat back is going to void your warranty
      07-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #21
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Ppl talk about the Way the tips look, let me tell you, IMO BMW performance has some of the ugliest tips outthere right now. No offense to the bmw perf owners here

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #22
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I don't know about Dinan ... we don't have them in Australia. But the BMW /// Performance exhaust is music to your ears. A unique and cultured tone that characterizes OEM quality. You will not regret it,