ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

How can I remove a jammed cupholder?

I already have the replacement cupholder, but when BMW took the car in to replace a cracked windshield, they pushed in the broken cupholder that I was keeping extended intentionally until it could be replaced. I'd heard the horror stories of them getting stuck.

Any suggestions for how I can get it out? Once it broke, I actually had no luck pushing it back in (even relatively firmly), so they must have really jammed it hard to get it in.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

Remove the vent assembly...then you will be able to remove the broken holder
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer View Post
I already have the replacement cupholder, but when BMW took the car in to replace a cracked windshield, they pushed in the broken cupholder that I was keeping extended intentionally until it could be replaced. I'd heard the horror stories of them getting stuck.

Any suggestions for how I can get it out? Once it broke, I actually had no luck pushing it back in (even relatively firmly), so they must have really jammed it hard to get it in.
Take it back to them and say "what did you do to my cup-holder ... it won't open now....."
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirOpsMgr View Post
Take it back to them and say "what did you do to my cup-holder ... it won't open now....."
+1 Seriously, just play stupid say it doesn't work anymore and they should replace it for you at no charge.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonblitz View Post
+1 Seriously, just play stupid say it doesn't work anymore and they should replace it for you at no charge.
HAHAH you guys are great! That might actually work! I'll give it a shot and complain to my SA in an email...might as well because I'm pretty sure they chipped the plastic bit that overlays the bottom of the windshield (which is a massive piece extending under the hood, probably pretty expensive) which I doubt they'll own up to.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer View Post
HAHAH you guys are great! That might actually work! I'll give it a shot and complain to my SA in an email...might as well because I'm pretty sure they chipped the plastic bit that overlays the bottom of the windshield (which is a massive piece extending under the hood, probably pretty expensive) which I doubt they'll own up to.
Let them try to prove otherwise .... how will they prove that the cupholder was, or was not, in good working condition when you took it to them??

I know this sounds mean, but I have been screwed by BMW several times, so perhaps I'm jaded and offering lude advice.....
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

OP, if your car is still under warranty, they will replace it free no questions asked. To answer your ... are you asking about removing the whole cupholder and vent unit or just the part that slides out? It's an integrated part... if you are not aware... it's just two screws... it's covered by a screw cap cover...remove the cover and remove the two screws and the whole unit comes out...takes about 5 min to do or so.

If you are talking about the slider part..don't bother... it's some brittle plastic and if it's broken...not worth fixing... in my opinion. Good luck. Sorry if I pointed out the obvious or didn't answer your question.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
OP, if your car is still under warranty, they will replace it free no questions asked. To answer your ... are you asking about removing the whole cupholder and vent unit or just the part that slides out? It's an integrated part... if you are not aware... it's just two screws... it's covered by a screw cap cover...remove the cover and remove the two screws and the whole unit comes out...takes about 5 min to do or so.

If you are talking about the slider part..don't bother... it's some brittle plastic and if it's broken...not worth fixing... in my opinion. Good luck. Sorry if I pointed out the obvious or didn't answer your question.
Car is out of warranty...only CPO (and maint. pkg) remaining.

I do have the replacement "all in one" cupholder unit, but was just wondering how to install it if the unit can't be ejected. Sounds good about removing the vent--I have seen where the upper screw is, but will have to look for the lower one. I thought it was more of a pain to remove the vent unit than that

I contacted the dealer and they offered to look at the jammed cupholder for free, and might end up replacing it for free too, but since I already have the part it would probably be way more hassle to leave the car with them and try to sell the replacement I already have than just installing it myself--lol. Still annoying they got the broken one jammed, making it harder to do the swap.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

The bottom screw with screw cap should be on the lower right or left... I don't recall as not in my car right now. The swap for the whole vent / cup holder should be very easy. I remember asking the dealer if I can do the swap to save me time, but they insisted because it's under warranty that they do it (they want to get BMW to pay for the labor time). Since your car is out of warranty and they are willing to replace it...I say bring the car and two screws is less time than you think if you don't want to leave your car with them.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I deleted mine, I found them worthless in the M coupe.
      09-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
They are shitty at actually holding a cup firmly and preclude sport driving, but I have occasional (once per week) use for them when driving conditions permit

I have actually had a passenger's cup FLY out of the cupholder during a maneuver, tumbling end-over-end several times before landing in my lap, thankfully upright with a lid (and a cold drink). Neither of us will ever forget the slo-mo mental replay of horror of that scene, hahah.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
The bottom screw with screw cap should be on the lower right or left... I don't recall as not in my car right now. The swap for the whole vent / cup holder should be very easy. I remember asking the dealer if I can do the swap to save me time, but they insisted because it's under warranty that they do it (they want to get BMW to pay for the labor time). Since your car is out of warranty and they are willing to replace it...I say bring the car and two screws is less time than you think if you don't want to leave your car with them.
I'm not convinced they will even have the part in stock--they want to look at the cupholder first before agreeing to replace it, so that means two trips / waiting for the SA to get 'er done. Still waiting to hear back from them about an appointment time, though, as I'd like to try it for the experiment (and then could pass off my spare part cupholder at a discount to another member on the forums )
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #13
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

the lower screw is only accessible when the cup holder is open. I would very carefully drill through the cap that covers the cup holder at the point that it slides out right over the screw. Reference the point by looking at the other cup holder for the screw position and mirroring that.

seems to me like that might be the only way (last resort of course)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

LET ME GUESS drivers side one right.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #15
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I had my cupholder break free from the vent and it was in the same position (wouldn't come out). I was able to pry up on the pop out part just enough to get a thin screwdriver to the lower screw. Replacement is a breeze after that.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #16
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
How did you delete yours? Mine passenger side (your drive side) creaks badly and is stuck in (won't pop out). I want to delete it but have no idea how to do it.

Any tips/pictures would be great.

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_130i_oz View Post
How did you delete yours? Mine passenger side (your drive side) creaks badly and is stuck in (won't pop out). I want to delete it but have no idea how to do it.

Any tips/pictures would be great.
I followed Ron's DIY, just ordered the parts from penskeparts.com. Yes, they are a source of squeaks and rattles, really poorly made plastic.
      09-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
iPhone, you know the little arm ratchets, and will hold your cup firmly if you use it right?

Am I the only one on the board who loves the cupholders? (at least compared to an e36 or e39)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #19
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
iPhone, you know the little arm ratchets, and will hold your cup firmly if you use it right?

Am I the only one on the board who loves the cupholders? (at least compared to an e36 or e39)
They worked "fine" for me until I hit one imperfection in the road and everything would spill. I don't mind them but I viewed as one more thing that could potentially brake so I did the cupholder delete on both sides. I just prefer simplicity in the car.
      09-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #20
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

Quote:

I love when ppl have had their coupes forever and not know that the cupholders ratchet. Make me lol everytime!
      10-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #21
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

If anyone needs a cup holder/ drivers side I have one for sale here. $23.00 shipped/with paypal fees included.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600628
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #22
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I know the arm ratchets, and I do really love the design--extremely compact and functional. The way mine broke was related to the ratcheting mechanism--it no longer held any tension, and just moved freely. Upon inspection you could see an area of broken plastic. There wasn't any particular trauma that broke it, just normal use.

After that happened (it just emerged broken one day), it wouldn't go back in, even with quite a bit of intentional coaxing. I was shocked to see it pushed in when I picked up the car from the windshield repair, and sure enough it was impossible to get back out. I'm happy now since they replaced it for free, though I too have a spare driver's side cupholder (never opened BMW parts box) for anyone interested.
Appreciate 0