ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

You meet the nicest people when you drive a Z4.....

Not to steal Honda motorcycle's old advertising slogan of "you meet the nicest people on a Honda", but I thought it fit the occasion.

So I was at work today when a truck driver arrived to drop off some cargo; he pulled up to the dock and then I didn't see him for several minutes. He came in and started to talk to my warehouse guys .... a few minutes later, I hear "Hey man, is that your Z4 out there??"

We began to chat about owning the same type of car, what years we had, how we both had the same color combos, how we love the car, mileage, etc, etc

I grabbed my keys and began to show him what I had done ..... he stopped me just as I began to drop the top with the remote ..... "hey man, how'd you do that??" and so began the Q and A and just talking Z4 stuff with a complete stranger. I popped the hood and showed him the 3-stage manifold upgrade I just did (from 3.0i to 3.0si), K&N drop in filter, how to set the clock, the acrylic wind deflector, and other trivial stuff; he then told me about his trip to the coast and how much attention he got driving his..... anyway, long story short, great guy and a welcome respite in my drag of a work-day

So, just goes to show ya that you meet the nicest people when you drive a Z4

Name:  06 3.0i.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  52.1 KB

Last edited by AirOpsMgr; 09-02-2011 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I agree!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Nicolas M
BMW ///M Power
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

Nice story. Totally agree with you. Nice cars are often a good way to meet people!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Cool story. It's all about car-family.
best,
DaveL

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Nice story! As I commented on one of my earlier posts, I find this place to have some good friendly conversations and the people are very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Aside from one a bad encounter, anyone who's ever had anything to say about my car has been positive and enthusiastic, whether they are a car person or not. The bad encounter was 3 days after I bought the car, a 50something couple eyeing me as I park in the lot in front of an office max. I get out of the car, and they start walking in the store in front of me. I guess the dude thought I couldn't hear him when he says to his wife "fucking jews"

FWIW I'm not Jewish, and have no Jewish looking adornment on the car now, let alone 3 days after I bought it. I was really confused and angered, I do not live in a bad or notoriously racist area. But anyway...

Everyone since, from the insurance agent who just liked the way it looks, to the guy who regrettably sold his Z3MC to help him pay for his kid's education, to the random conversation in a best buy parking lot in the drizzle with an ex-porsche racer, to one of my new good friends I met through both having Z4s, every encounter has been very positive.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Completely Agree. Especially when filling up I get people walking up and talking to me. A guy in a C7 Vette was kind of a dick but at the same time complimented the car.

As well, someone said "I don't even want to know what your last name is"...Like I'm Jewish as well?

I don't know, it's a love/hate type of thing when people see these cars
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
it's a love/hate type of thing when people see these cars
Yup. In my experience, the car seems to amplify the usual range of human emotions. The nice people are nicer ... and the nasties are worse. Same mean ... but higher variance.

In my bad experience ... a naughty person pulled out of the parking lane (parallel to the main traffic line) without an indicator ... just straight into my path ... very aggro ... so I just shifted over to avoid her and accelerated past - hasta la vista baby ... All good until 50m later ... had to stop at the traffic lights ... her right behind me ... and she gets out her car ... comes up to my car ... and starts banging on my window and screaming. That's really my only bad experience.

Lots of good experiences to compensate: people who offer to swap cars with me at traffic lights -- for the win
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
spurto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Silver BMW Z4MR

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
I got into a conversation with a gentleman that owned an M roadster at the local car wash a few months ago. We chatted about the usual stuff, road trips, maintenance etc. It made the wait for my car more pleasant and less boring than usual.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

I haven't had any negative encounters yet, but perhaps that is just because I live in the "south" where most people just keep their comments to themselves and politely nod at as you pass by ...... no matter what they are really thinking or how much they want to scream at you

Mostly, I get "Nice car", "lookin' good", or "that looks like fun" .... a couple people have commented with "I like your James Bond car".

I'm sure I could get some negativity if I took it back up north to Ohio where I grew up
Appreciate 0