ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
TallTexan
Rep
Drives: Z4MC - Silbergrau

CPO VS. Lease hooliganism on a z4m

Would you be worried about a CPO z4m which was originally under a lease?

On one hand, the fact that it was leased could mean it was properly hooned and not dilligently serviced.

On the other hand, the CPO warranty should help cover latent drivetrain expenses.

What say you zpost?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
If everything checks out I would not be worried. It's impossible to predict the behavior of those who lease vs. those who buy. The reality is that when you buy a used car, you take a risk on the break in and behavior of the previous owner(s). The risk goes up with high-performance cars to be sure, which is why searching for the grail takes a bit (or a lot) longer! Ideally you will be able to speak to the previous owner but with a lease turn-in that will not be possible. A CPO should, in theory at least, protect you against previous structural damage.

GL, enjoy the search!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

IMO - Leased cars, especially high end cars tend to be taken care of better than an owned used car, they are limited to mileage per year and in general know they are returning the car and will have to pay for any overages and damages above the lease agreement. I would be surprised if a lessee ever tracked a car or took any long cross country road trips and most leases require regular maintenance of the vehicle. Most lessee's fall in the category of a business man wanting a weekend runabout, or a trophy wife showing off the fancy wheels. I bought my Z4 on the recommendation of Consumer Guide magazine who rated Z4 and Z3 lease returns as highest value for the price, even though the Z4 didn't retain resale value, average 20-30 k depreciation, they determined the value to buy a leased Z4 was high for the price because the leased vehicles were so well taken care of.

Last edited by WAMz4; 08-25-2011 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Assuming service was done, especially the 1,200 mile service, and all oil changes and inspections, I would not worry on this point. Drivers hoon either way or they don't, I have leased and owned and always driven the same (only a little hooning).

I bought my 08' used, still has factory warranty until 10/12.

I would recommend getting fluids changed if over 30k miles, I went with redline for the diff and tranny. If the car has never had a brake or rad flush, I would do those as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

Mine was leased and the only problem it had was the shift knob was loose, which was replaced with a new one under warranty. Seems like the majority of these cars were leased. I always took very good care of cars I leased, just did a couple of burnouts here and there.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
dazed^
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Roadster

Not a huge red flag, IMO, unless there are also signs that the car was treated poorly. For example, if it has various (repeaired) small dents/scratches, or faded interior, etc.
Appreciate 0