ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-20-2011, 03:48 AM   #1
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Acetone for removing scratches?

Muh-hahahahahaha!

I was at AutoZone buying oil and filters on sale and a young woman walks in. She walks up to the dipshit behind the counter and I overhear this:

BMW owner: Somebody hit my BMW and I want to get the other paint off.
AZ idiot1: Oh, Acetone will remove the paint and scratches.
BMW owner: Really? Use Acetone on my BMW?
AZ idiot1: Ask him, he used to work in a body shop.
AZ idiot2: We don't have Acetone for BMWs, let me go out and look at your car.

I roll my eyes and debate if I should get involved. I don't want to argue with any body shop pro, but can only imagine what he's trying to sell her.

I finish my purchase and as I'm walking out the two are walking back in. I park my car next to the only other BMW and don't see any damage. I'm too lazy to get out of my car, but see her walking out of the shop with nothing in her hands. I roll my window down and tell her no matter what don't use Acetone on your Bimmer. She tells me she knew better because it's what she uses on her nails. I get out of the car and see that the person who hit her rammed the passenger front door, rear door, fender and rear bumper. Even if Acetone was a magic scratch remover it's going to take more then Acetone to fix it.

After seeing all the carnage I tell her to spend the money on a deductible and get it fixed right.

I'm sure everybody has a story like this, but I wish I could make a living "saving" people from these dopes.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Well done. You need a cape.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
Muh-hahahahahaha!

I was at AutoZone buying oil and filters on sale and a young woman walks in. She walks up to the dipshit behind the counter and I overhear this:

BMW owner: Somebody hit my BMW and I want to get the other paint off.
AZ idiot1: Oh, Acetone will remove the paint and scratches.
BMW owner: Really? Use Acetone on my BMW?
AZ idiot1: Ask him, he used to work in a body shop.
AZ idiot2: We don't have Acetone for BMWs, let me go out and look at your car.

I roll my eyes and debate if I should get involved. I don't want to argue with any body shop pro, but can only imagine what he's trying to sell her.

I finish my purchase and as I'm walking out the two are walking back in. I park my car next to the only other BMW and don't see any damage. I'm too lazy to get out of my car, but see her walking out of the shop with nothing in her hands. I roll my window down and tell her no matter what don't use Acetone on your Bimmer. She tells me she knew better because it's what she uses on her nails. I get out of the car and see that the person who hit her rammed the passenger front door, rear door, fender and rear bumper. Even if Acetone was a magic scratch remover it's going to take more then Acetone to fix it.

After seeing all the carnage I tell her to spend the money on a deductible and get it fixed right.

I'm sure everybody has a story like this, but I wish I could make a living "saving" people from these dopes.
Everybody's a 'Pro' at somethign in their mind,lol.

The only truth to this story is that Acetone is a very clean distilled solvent that WILL actually remove topical surface residual paint left behind from mild incidents . It will not however, remove any scratch that has penetrated the clear. Just prep it for more clear.
Appreciate 0