BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Would YOU change these tires?

Hey guys. Okay, so I'm all set to run a track day at Laguns Seca next weekend and I got to thinking... I wonder if these front tires are okay.

I'd like to hear from people who run track days (or autocross.)

Do you think these front tires are okay? I'm worried about the edges of these front tires. The wear indicator is all but gone. Do you think it's safe to run them for one more track day? I'll be doing like four or five 25 min sessions.

I'm also a little worried about this gash I saw on one of the front tires (though I'm more concerned about those worn edges!)

Here's the gash:

What do you think?
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
I wouldnt worry about that front tire gash as long as it is superficial. Your front tire wear pattern is a bit unusual, what PSI your running? Looks like they may be a bit over inflated from the wear pattern.

So back to your question: your tires will be perfectly fine for a HPDE day, I wouldnt worry about them at all if it was me. I run R compound tires and run them to the point that you can nearly see the tire bead! (wouldnt recommend that for other tires!) You will likely need new tires after your session day is over. Just pay attention to your tire pressures throughout the day, making sure you check them as soon as your lap is over to see your hot psi. Lot of folks run a little bit higher psi in rear and lower in front which helps with understeer but you may notice slightly decrease grip in the rears.

my 2 cents, sure you will get a lot of mixed opinions. I have been really into tire pressures etc this season to get things more dialed in for the track...just kinda fun to play around with stuff and feel the differences a few psi can really make.
      08-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

They look pretty worn, I wouldn't want to drive home with them after the event. I'd flip them left to right in the front at least.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Most likely you need a ton more camber in the front as you've completely cooked the outside edge of the tire and rolled over the tire way too much.

Less likely you are way under inflated and your outside edges have worn way down. We would need your hot tire pressure data to know for sure.

On your rear tires you've used up the correct amount of tire. That little arrow is your indicator for what is designed as the edge of the tire surface. On your front's you've worn it off completely and rounded the shoulder a bit.

For a track day I think you'll be okay, just keep a close eye on it. The gash looks superficial and I personally would not worry about it.

Next time try a set of Hankook RS3's in 255/35/18 & 265/35/18. You'd be amazed at the level of grip these tires offer. That is the tire we run the tire that has set almost every single street tire class record in Time Attack.

This is just my opinion folks!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
Most likely you need a ton more camber in the front as you've completely cooked the outside edge of the tire and rolled over the tire way too much.

Less likely you are way under inflated and your outside edges have worn way down. We would need your hot tire pressure data to know for sure.

On your rear tires you've used up the correct amount of tire. That little arrow is your indicator for what is designed as the edge of the tire surface. On your front's you've worn it off completely and rounded the shoulder a bit.

For a track day I think you'll be okay, just keep a close eye on it. The gash looks superficial and I personally would not worry about it.

Next time try a set of Hankook RS3's in 255/35/18 & 265/35/18. You'd be amazed at the level of grip these tires offer. That is the tire we run the tire that has set almost every single street tire class record in Time Attack.

cant argue with the Berk folks - solid track folks who know what their talking about.
      08-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

I was going to go RS3 but the 265/35/18 is sold out right now. I went PSS instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Yeah, as mentioned above, your outer edges look ridiculously worn! I'm assuming its your track-only setup considering it's not on the car, but if you keep em on just remember it's illegal to keep tires with less than 2/32". But that's likely not an issue.

Also... LISTEN TO BERK TECH (and mineo77)! They know what they're doing Adding a bunch more negative camber will definitely keep the outer edges of the tires from wearing, but too much will wear the insides. And I'm just concerned if it's a pressure issue as well.. How many track days have you done on the tires (and how rough were you)?

I'm not really the best person to ask about the track, but even I can tell you that don't look right . And if you roll over the outside edge and there's just a little too much tire gone and you lose traction, not a good scenario. Though for one more day, I'd just be careful. To be extra safe, add some negative camber first and you should reduce the chance of anything bad happening.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
You going to enjoy the track specially cork screw.
Attached Images

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

how much camber do you have up front?

...and no, i wouldn't throw those away. i drive to/from the track on different wheels, so i take my track tires down to the cords.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Quote:

Hi! I don't mean to steal the thread, but I wanted to ask what 18 inch tires / wheels would you recommend for a 2008 128i for good daily driving (and not racing)?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeee View Post
Hi! I don't mean to steal the thread, but I wanted to ask what 18 inch tires / wheels would you recommend for a 2008 128i for good daily driving (and not racing)?
There's lots of threads dedicated to choosing a tire. Check the stickies and be sure to run some searches. Thanks!
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.

Last edited by jeremydgreat; 08-19-2011 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

First of all, thanks to everyone of you for the input! This has really put my mind at ease for this event (I was about to go into full tire-buying-panic-mode.)

A few clarifications about my setup:
  • Yes, these are dedicated track wheels. I won't be driving to/from the track on them.
  • Camber- I'm running vorshlag camber plates and I dump it all the way in. I guess I need more though, eh? It seems at this point I have two options... 1) drill away some of the top bushing so I can move the camber plates another inch or so, 2) get the M3 control arms (does that really add that much camber?)
  • Tire size- I should have posted this, but I'm running 255's up front and 275's in the back.
  • Inflation- Here's what I've been doing at the track: I do a session, check the pressure, deflate to the stock pressure recommendations in the door jam, repeat. Would you recommend a different strategy?

Again, thank you all for your input! This is why I love this forum.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll be looking into those, for sure. It looks like they have a treadwear of 140 vs the Star Spec's 200. I'm assuming, since they're a little softer, the tradeoff is more grip. Right?

My street tires are Hancook V12's and they have stood up really well. I did used them for autocross once. Since they are only 225's in the front (on my stock wheels) the increased understeer was really apparent.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
[*]Inflation- Here's what I've been doing at the track: I do a session, check the pressure, deflate to the stock pressure recommendations in the door jam, repeat. Would you recommend a different strategy?[/LIST]

First, I agree with the others - no issues, I've run the Star Specs much further than that.

What are the stock pressure recommendations in the door jam? I never could find mine (maybe I'm blind), but they are listed in the manual - wondering if they are the same.

FWIW, I run Star Specs in a smaller size with LESS camber than you (-1.1) and get even wear all around, so some of this could be attributable to pressures or even driving style. I start session one at 32 and they rise to 38 +/- a few. I try to keep them around there, as that seems to be the sweet spot for the Star Specs IMO.

And I find the Star Specs might give up some dry grip to the RS3s (especially in the hot), but in the cool/wet the Star Specs are champs by comparison.

Last edited by Xaeryan; 08-19-2011 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
First of all, thanks to everyone of you for the input! This has really put my mind at ease for this event (I was about to go into full tire-buying-panic-mode.)

A few clarifications about my setup:
  • Yes, these are dedicated track wheels. I won't be driving to/from the track on them.
  • Camber- I'm running vorshlag camber plates and I dump it all the way in. I guess I need more though, eh? It seems at this point I have two options... 1) drill away some of the top bushing so I can move the camber plates another inch or so, 2) get the M3 control arms (does that really add that much camber?)
  • Tire size- I should have posted this, but I'm running 255's up front and 275's in the back.
  • Inflation- Here's what I've been doing at the track: I do a session, check the pressure, deflate to the stock pressure recommendations in the door jam, repeat. Would you recommend a different strategy?

I wouldnt lower them after checking them hot. the recommended pressure on the door jam is a cold pressure. Also before you mess with your camber etc run over to home depo and get a temp gun and measure temps of your tires (inside, center, outside) and they should all be within 10-15 degrees from each other...if you get a really hot spot that will guide you on what you need to adjust.
      08-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

OT: which front wheel is this?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
CincyOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Also, you could flip them on the wheel to put the less worn side out.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #18
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyOne View Post
Also, you could flip them on the wheel to put the less worn side out.
Really? You can do that?

I guess it depends on whether the tires are "directional" or not (according to Tire Rack).
"A "Side-to-Side" (Figure E) pattern may be used for vehicles equipped with different sized non-directional tires and wheels on the front axle compared to the rear axle."
...and it looks like the Star Specs are directional:
"The Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tread compound is molded into a directional design featuring notched, continuous shoulder ribs, large intermediate shoulder blocks and a wide center rib to deliver consistent contact with the road and enhance grip during cornering."
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #19
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Those are some worn ass tires

Do you use those track dedicated tires or dyou daily drive them as well? I cant see how those fronts would cause some definate vibrations and "wobbling", just look at the straight forward pic, the flat tread area of the tire is def NOT flat anymore =P

Not sure if this was covered before but are your fronts rubbing like crazy gainst the fenders or is that just from taking turns at 80mph?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #20
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Really? You can do that?

I guess it depends on whether the tires are "directional" or not (according to Tire Rack).
"A "Side-to-Side" (Figure E) pattern may be used for vehicles equipped with different sized non-directional tires and wheels on the front axle compared to the rear axle."
...and it looks like the Star Specs are directional:
"The Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tread compound is molded into a directional design featuring notched, continuous shoulder ribs, large intermediate shoulder blocks and a wide center rib to deliver consistent contact with the road and enhance grip during cornering."
they're directional/symmetrical. they can and should be flipped at least once during their lifetime, especially in the front, where camber causes uneven wear like you have here.
Appreciate 0