ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Rubber hose behind battery in Z4MC

I was changing out the battery this evening since I found out that my coupe still had the original battery from 5 years ago and it was causing low voltage errors...anyways, I noticed there was this grey rubber tube that seemed to be connected to nothing (see attached photo circled in red). Any ideas what that is or if I need to connect it to anything?

Thanks,
Gernard
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Isn't that the drain tube if the battery should leak? The acid won't eat the trunk, it will eat the suspension.

On my 3.0si it's pretty obvious it's a drain tube. It's a little tough to tell from this pic. Search around I think RoffleWaffle had some battery alternatives. Low voltages can wreak havoc on BMWs. Eventually you'll get stuck in "tow mode" and your AC and other accessories won't work. You'll need the dealer to reset tow mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

That's the vent tube that connects to the nipple on top of the battery case. Don't want the battery venting into cabin...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

^ It vents hydrogen expulsions from the battery away from the cabin. On normal cars, the battery sit in the engine bay, so it vents directly to the outside (not cabin) already . . .

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Santov, yeah the low voltage was causing the auto up and auto down on my windows to not work, and was messing with my trunk release a bit. The new battery is in and so far no issues from the 40 miles I test drove last night.

I replaced the battery with an OEM battery but didn't see a place to connect the tube, anyone have a picture that shows the location?
Appreciate 0