ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Desert-Proofing the Roadster

Heading to Burning Man in a month, and I'm not sure how transportation is working for our group yet. I'm considering driving my baby out onto the playa. For those who don't know it's on a northern Nevada high desert flat, many dust storms, alkaline hard-pack clay. Basically the car stays parked the entire time, and is only used for in/out at the beginning and end. I have the BMW fitted cover which would go on immediately. Any other recommendations for playa-proofing the car? I imagine I'd have to change the filters when I get back too.

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

The best way to Desert Proof it is Hertz. I'd recommend renting a car from Hertz and leaving it at that.

I've done that several times for Southwest vacations off into remote areas with dust, wind, and similar conditions and haven't regretted it once. We had alkalai dust in the car, on the car, in the engine bay...I didn't check under the car but given the amount under the rear bumper I'd imagine it was throughly caked under there in every place imaginable.

Taking a trip up the CA or OR coast? Trip to Yosemite or the Sierras? Roadster all the way. Dry lake beds, dust storms, and Burning Man? Hertz buddy, Hertz!

Rentals are like 50-60/day--why risk something happening?

My two cents FWIW.

Last edited by Finnegan; 08-01-2011 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

+1 having been to burning man (it's a blast) I'd say leave it at home.
      08-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think I was subliminally hoping people would just talk me out of it. I have other options for getting there that I think I'll pursue.

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
DR Z4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Roadster

1) That's awesome that you are going to Burning Man. It will be an incredible experience.
2) You would be insane to take your car there.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

If you priceline it, you can get rentals for less than 30 bucks a day (as long as you return to original rental location). I assuming burning man is where there will be a lot of drunk / high people...around your car... like everyone else said, why risk it? Have fun though. I wish I could go.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
babydevilj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3. Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
The best way to Desert Proof it is Hertz. I'd recommend renting a car from Hertz and leaving it at that.

I've done that several times for Southwest vacations off into remote areas with dust, wind, and similar conditions and haven't regretted it once. We had alkalai dust in the car, on the car, in the engine bay...I didn't check under the car but given the amount under the rear bumper I'd imagine it was throughly caked under there in every place imaginable.

Taking a trip up the CA or OR coast? Trip to Yosemite or the Sierras? Roadster all the way. Dry lake beds, dust storms, and Burning Man? Hertz buddy, Hertz!

Rentals are like 50-60/day--why risk something happening?

My two cents FWIW.
THIS FTW!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Z4 View Post
1) That's awesome that you are going to Burning Man. It will be an incredible experience.
2) You would be insane to take your car there.
Have fun!
Thanks!! This is my second year, and I cannot wait. As you probably already know, it's like nothing else on this planet, seriously. The creative energy and work that goes into putting it all together blew my mind. No money, no cell phones, no cars (except art cars), warm people, all contribute to make it something that's entirely different from anything you experience in regular life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
If you priceline it, you can get rentals for less than 30 bucks a day (as long as you return to original rental location). I assuming burning man is where there will be a lot of drunk / high people...around your car... like everyone else said, why risk it? Have fun though. I wish I could go.
lol.. yeah I looked up cars on Hotwire and Priceline a little while ago, pretty cheap. Actually I arranged to travel in an RV, so all's well. I intend to be one of those aforementioned people, and a nice comfy ride home in an RV bed sounds highly preferable to doing any driving of my own. Exodus happens Monday morning, and I expect to still be recovering into Tuesday.

2007 ///M roadster

Last edited by mikeinsf; 08-02-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
bol
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Do not take the car. You will NEVER get the dust from the playa out of the interior of the car if it gets in.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

This post further illustrates the greatness of this board. Have a fun time at Burning Man! The idea of a voyage to Burning Man in an RV makes me smile.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
This post further illustrates the greatness of this board. Have a fun time at Burning Man! The idea of a voyage to Burning Man in an RV makes me smile.
I'll be sure to put up an OT thread with photos of my experience this year.
Incidentally, I have family in Berwyn, on Cuyler Ave... my grandma and aunt. My mom's there right now actually.

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinsf View Post
I have family in Berwyn, on Cuyler Ave... my grandma and aunt. My mom's there right now actually.
Quite a small world. Do you know what block of Cuyler? We're at 35th and Wisconsin.

Look forward to seeing the pics. Have had lots of friends that have done Burning Man, but never been myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Haha.. You're right across the tracks. They're @ 28th. Small world indeed.

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Ha! Very cool!
Appreciate 0