ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

On remote, top only comes half-way open?

Just started happening. First hit on open button of the key, unlocks the driver's door, holding down the second it opens the passenger door and will also bring the top up. My problem is the the top only goes halfway up. in order to have the top continue opening, I have to press the Up button in the car. The top opens and closes without any problems when using the inside buttons.

I'm covered by repair insurance and they can't tell be whether or not I'll be covered until the cause of the problem is identified. So, any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

First thing that comes to mind for me is that if it functions normally from the console, then the system itself is OK.

Is the remote fob still original?
Just a wild ass guess, but maybe the battery is not holding a full charge.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

If at any point the signal from the remote is interrupted, the top will stop. Does this happen every time, and at exactly the same spot in the travel - or is it intermittent? Does moving the remote closer to the rear view mirror help?

Have you tried using a different key to see if it's a problem with the remote itself - either signal or battery strength?

I used to have this happen the odd time with my car, but have since installed the Gaptech RCH+ module. No more holding the key down for the whole top cycle, and it ALWAYS completes now.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

+1 for the battery. Mine works sometimes, other times not as well if at all. Top works fine from the console. I've always thought it was the battery.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

Tried my wife's key...it worked. Then tried my key...it worked. Although I now know that the top's mechanisms are OK and the problem most likely resides in the key, how do I change the battery without loosing any of the key's internal settings?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I'm pretty sure it charges from the key being in the ignition. Also try holding the key against your chin or head to help with the signal (no joke)
      07-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycaster View Post
Tried my wife's key...it worked. Then tried my key...it worked. Although I now know that the top's mechanisms are OK and the problem most likely resides in the key, how do I change the battery without loosing any of the key's internal settings?
You have to be a little brave to do so, but it is doable.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The battery is not considered 'user replaceable' - the internal battery does charge when in the ignition. If you haven't used your key for a while, that might be part of the problem. I swap between keys every few weeks just to keep them both charged up. If the rechargeable battery is in fact unable to hold a charge, I recall seeing a post somewhere about breaking the key open, replacing it, and gluing the key back together - not an official BMW procedure ...

And Mr. Waffle is serious about the chin thing - you'd be amazed at the difference. Try it in a parking lot some time, using the lock/unlock normally and watching your tail lights to see how far you can get away before it loses signal. Then point the key up and touch the tip to your chin when pressing the buttons, and check the range again. I get about 3 times more range this way ...

Edit: Looks like Hogzilla had the battery surgery info - I'd make sure you really have a battery issue before trying that, though. The range on these remotes is pretty pitiful, even with a 'fresh' battery. I have a brand new key and it's no better than the one than the 5 year old one that came with the car.

Last edited by WestCDA; 07-27-2011 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Battery replacement vid above
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
wdupdog
Private
Rep

^+1 Also, the modification to enable the remote and console to auto top up/down without holding buttons on either remote or console, is the best mod I have performed to date. Very convenient with increased function. Should have been this way from factory. No affiliation to manufacture.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

What a cool video. If needs be, I can do the battery change...anyone know if the key will then need recoding from BMW?

I have always swapped the keys about to keep their batteries in good shape. And, the key to the chin certainly does enhance the key's remote range...most likely the body is acting as a sending anntena. I also have found that the range does increase very significantly. BTW, I think I've seen that BMW intended the key to have a short range. Has something to do with this being a safety factor. Maybe not good to open the car when you aren't near it???

Thanks all for your help.

Well, now that I know nothing is "really" wrong, I will have maybe run some more tests to arrive at a decision on just how to handle the apparently "lost range" of the key.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

No involvement from BMW necessary - the key is already permanently coded, uniquely to your car. You will need to do the procedure shown at the end of the video to re-enable the remote functions, though. The same would be required if you got a new key from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

If you try it, post back how it worked out for you. It's a cheap enough option that if it ends up not working you're not out too much. A lot less than a new key. I've considered trying it, but the battery is not THAT bad off yet to warrant the effort.

Good luck if you take it on!

+1 The key on the chin thing does work.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Does the battery charge by induction? There doesn't look to be any electrical contacts between the key blade and the circuitry.
      07-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #14
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Does the battery charge by induction?
Yes.
Appreciate 0