ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Radio problems!! - loose head-unit connection????

Hey everyone; I have recently purchased a 06' 3.0 with a business CD/basic hifi - pre-owned, no warranty, and need to diagnose a radio problem with your help.

I will often loose all AM/FM signals, sometimes they just become faded, other times they go to complete static.

Over a period of time I have checked the antenna connections in the trunk, checked the antenna itself, and then today, I noticed that I got the reception back when I pressed the buttons on the head unit.

I then figured out that it wasn't the buttons I was pressing; rather, it was the action of "pushing" on the head unit that brought back the reception ...... intermittently.

I went on to push other areas of the head unit to find out that when the signal drops out, if I push on the trim just above the CD slot, I fully regain the AM/FM signal, sometimes it stays until I hit a bump, other times the signal drops again when I stop pushing.

The trim only moves inward a couple of millimeters, the radio doesn't appear to have been mis-mounted or adjusted, so I'm stuck with thinking that I am just pressing the head unit inward and making something complete a circuit.

With that being said, I believe there is a short or a loose connection in the head unit somewhere, whether it’s the wire harness on the back of the head unit, or something within the head unit itself ...... I'm in the dark.

Since I live in the hot south (Georgia) and will often see a lot of condensation on the dash vents just above the radio when the A/C is on, I also wonder if the condensation has dripped onto the head unit and corroded some parts?

I will be pulling the vents and then the head unit this weekend, when and if I get time, to investigate further, but figured I would throw it out there to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Thnx!!!

Best regards,
Greg
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

The antenna connection is a separate locking fitting on the back end of the head unit. Could be you've got a loose connection back there ...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
The antenna connection is a separate locking fitting on the back end of the head unit. Could be you've got a loose connection back there ...
Thnx WestCDA, I was thinking that it was a seperate connection due to the type of wiring used, but wasn't sure as I have not peeked back there yet.

I haven't worked on stereos since my younger days; is there anything back there for the connection to ground-out on? I'm just thinking of the obvious issues, like chaffed antenna wire near the head unit grounding out, loose connection as you mention, or, something within the head unit circuitry???

Brgds,
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
jatmallet
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M Roadster

Greg, not that I can help you with this but I recently bought an 07 3.0i and live in atlanta, glad to see another ga. boy here and a southsider at that. Congrats on the ride and good luck with the radio, mine has developed the flap problem, so I feel your pain a wee bit
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

JATmallet, PM sent...... What is the "flap" problem??
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

Quote:
is there anything back there for the connection to ground-out on?
Not really - it's a fairly small connection on the opposite (passenger) side from the main wiring plug connectors.

Removing the radio is simpler than any other vehicle I've owned - once you understand how the vent is retained with two metal clips. I use a curved dental pick to pull down the two metal 'tangs' inside the access holes at the top inside of the vent, and gently pull the vent assembly forward. Others slide a credit card or something similar in over the vent to lever/wedge the tangs down. Once you know the process, it takes literally seconds to pull the vent out.

Once that's out, just remove the two easily accessed philips screws, and the radio with wiring (harnesses and antenna) pulls straight out. Good luck with it - hopefully it's just a loose antenna connection and not an internal radio problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thnx, I'll give it a shot when I get off work later this morning; <crossing fingers for just a bad plug connection>!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
06Z4
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4

Vent Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirOpsMgr View Post
Thnx, I'll give it a shot when I get off work later this morning; <crossing fingers for just a bad plug connection>!!!!!
Here are the instructions on how to remove the vent so that you'll be able to remove the radio.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=16
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 03:41 AM   #9
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well, I finally got around to taking the radio out; just after spending many hours Sat night, into Sun AM, replacing my convertible top motor ..... good friggin lord, what were the BMW people thinking when they put that motor in the drain area?!?!?! But I digress..... another post for another time......

So I have figured out that the failing signal is due to the connection of the antenna wire at the back of the radio .... on the right side, just as WestCDA advised (thnx for that), and Kudos as well to 06Z4 for the credit-card trick, worked like a charm; indeed the easiest radio removal in history!!

So, back to the issue; with the radio on, head-unit in my hands, I started playing with the antenna connection at the back of the radio - it cuts all the way out with just a slight jiggle; comes back if I push inward on the connection / move it side-to-side. The retaining clip of the antenna wire to the radio housing is engaged, but there is something apprently not allowing a full connection.

I was thinking about applying some dielectric grease or trying to clean the connection with contact cleaner, or, worst case scenario, re-do the antenna connection (cut/replace connection end) ..... but, before doing any of this, I figured I should check in with you guys.

Any ideas??

Thnx/Best regards,
Greg
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
Greg, it sounds like something is loose inside the radio, you can try using Google to see if there are any radio shops that repair these units, otherwise I would check EBay for a replacement or check the classifieds here for folks that are parting out cars. Good luck!
      07-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote View Post
Greg, it sounds like something is loose inside the radio, you can try using Google to see if there are any radio shops that repair these units, otherwise I would check EBay for a replacement or check the classifieds here for folks that are parting out cars. Good luck!
Thnx CFoote, I was also thinking there might be an internal issue, however, I would like to diagnose this further before replacing the head unit.

I am fairly well versed in splicing / attaching cables and connections (ranging from small RJ11, RJ45, to RG58, RG8 / other CoAx connections), just haven't dealt with this particular jack before......

Can anyone else add guidance before I start hacking away?? Obviously, worst case scenario is to replace head unit

thnx much!!

Last edited by AirOpsMgr; 07-25-2011 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0