BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Getting a new Top

I noticed a few threads on the passengers side on the horizontal part near the door loose. It looks like they were originally poked through but the locking thread on the other side was not there. So initially it looks fine but quickly the unlocked threads pulled back through. It didn't get worse but wasn't what you should expect for a nice new convertible so I mentioned it at my first two annual oil changes. This time they ordered a top and it will be installed next week. I will be on a trip so I just dropped the car today and will pick it up next Saturday. It's a bit of a hassle to make two trips to the dealer but I am getting a new top out of it. I thought they would just get a good upholstery shop to fix it but a new top is better for me (as long as it is installed correctly).

Anybody else have this problem?

Jim
      07-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Fellow Columbia, SC 1 addict here. Do you go to BMW of Columbia? I bought my car at Performance BMW in Chapel Hill, NC. They were very easy to deal with. I only went there because they had the car/color and I got the deal I wanted. Way to far to drive there for service. If you go to BMW of Columbia, are you happy with them? My car will be coming up on it's first oil change soon. Good luck with your top.
      07-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
slim_e90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM E-88

Top replacement

Hey there
My car is not new but as part of CPO they replaced it (common driver side back c pillar wear)

So far the new top fits like a glove and looks and operates perfect. I think from what my SA explained the process takes a lot of adjustments to get it right

Good luck

|move over... please|
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Jayda,

Yes, I take mine to Columbia's BMW dealer. I negotiated over the internet and bought it from the Columbia dealer. I wanted to give the business to one of the three dealerships that let me test drive a car (Columbia dealer didn't have any) but they were all ~$1.5K more expensive. I have only had "free" stuff done so far, 2 oil changes and 2 recalls, but they have been fine. Their location is not ideal for me, I am in Lexington, but they are closer than anybody else. I have another car so for anything it has to stay there more than a few minutes, I have had them drop me at home. They will readily do that, I think it is harder to get a loaner but I haven't tried.

You should consider joining the BMWCCA and joining us for dinner the first Tuesday of every month at Grecian Gardens, near Lexington Hospital on 328. Dinner is at 7pm. It's informal but we have a good time talking about cars. You do not have to join BMW CCA to join us for dinner. There are 3 other 1 series owners who regularly participate.

Jim
      07-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Thanks for the info about BMW Columbia and the dinner. I was wondering if there was any car club activity around here. I really have seen fewer 1 series around here than I have fingers (I got my car the first week in March).