BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
kumar911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M & 2014 Cayenne Diesel

Scuffing of the underside front bumper

So I have been happily putting a lot of miles on the 1M and its been absolutely terrific. The one thing that bothers me the most is when I back out of my garage or when coming down or up an incline, the front bumper actually comes in contact with the surface below, this is really annoying because there's no way to prevent this. I have searched the forums on the normal 1 series and some have this problem as well. So I come to ask you is there any way to prevent this from happening maybe put a scuff plate (not sure if thats what its called) but I see something similar on the 1M Safety car a black lip that goes right below the front bumper, I rather scuff that than the paint of the car. You can't really see the scuffs unless you knee down and look underneath, its nothing serious but it will be great if there's a solution to prevent this.
Attached Images

Last edited by kumar911; 07-06-2011 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 1M

Have you tried backing out slowly at an angle? Let one of the front wheels touch down first?

Consider getting one of these:

http://www.bridjit.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
kumar911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by !mspinster View Post
Have you tried backing out slowly at an angle? Let one of the front wheels touch down first?

Consider getting one of these:

http://www.bridjit.com/
When I back out of my garage really slowly I seem to get away from coming in contact with the surface, but my main problem is when there is a steep incline down connecting to a flat surface, its seems to come in contact even if I go down really slowly...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 1M

Should take a picture of the driveway. I always attack ramps at an angle, but if its not helping in your case I would recommend modifying your driveway or get the Bridjit. You can put something below the bumper like the picture, since the car is so new I doubt anyone has that mod at this time.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
kumar911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by !mspinster View Post
Should take a picture of the driveway. I always attack ramps at an angle, but if its not helping in your case I would recommend modifying your driveway or get the Bridjit. You can put something below the bumper like the picture, since the car is so new I doubt anyone has that mod at this time.
I didn't approach the ramps at an angle, didn't really know about this since I didn't own a car that was this low to the ground before. I'll definitely try that technique...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

couple of things..

1. I respect the man that buys an expensive carbon fiber splitter simply to protect the bottom of his front bumper

2. Does anyone know where the hell we can purchase this splitter from? I thought this was going to come to market along with the hood and rear wing
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar911 View Post
So I have been happily putting a lot of miles on the 1M and its been absolutely terrific. The one thing that bothers me the most is when I back out of my garage or when coming down or up an incline, the front bumper actually comes in contact with the surface below, this is really annoying because there's no way to prevent this. I have searched the forums on the normal 1 series and some have this problem as well. So I come to ask you is there any way to prevent this from happening maybe put a scuff plate (not sure if thats what its called) but I see something similar on the 1M Safety car a black lip that goes right below the front bumper, I rather scuff that than the paint of the car. You can't really see the scuffs unless you knee down and look underneath, its nothing serious but it will be great if there's a solution to prevent this.
Hummm I think the black "scruff plate" you talked about is like the other dude said, it's called splitter, an aerodynamic part......
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
Ohcrap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
couple of things..

1. I respect the man that buys an expensive carbon fiber splitter simply to protect the bottom of his front bumper

2. Does anyone know where the hell we can purchase this splitter from? I thought this was going to come to market along with the hood and rear wing
It's coming very soon, it will have integrated brake cooling ducts... and looks absolutely fantastic. The same company is also making CF hood, replacement and stick-on roof, trunk, wing, mirror covers, racing style rear diffuser, and side skirts... sorry to be a tease but trust me, the entire package will blow you away (look out for Project " Black Knight" teasers w complete reveal this fall...)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
kumar911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I was sure that the splitter on the safety car was not used for the same reason I'm looking for, but it looks amazing...but I found a solution to my problem thanks to !mspinster.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
vito747
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohcrap View Post
It's coming very soon, it will have integrated brake cooling ducts... and looks absolutely fantastic. The same company is also making CF hood, replacement and stick-on roof, trunk, wing, mirror covers, racing style rear diffuser, and side skirts... sorry to be a tease but trust me, the entire package will blow you away (look out for Project " Black Knight" teasers w complete reveal this fall...)
Looking forward! any info will be apreciated!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 12:27 AM   #11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

if u don't have problem going in, then u don't have problem coming out. just saying.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
now this is good news. do you know if it is the same company that made the parts for the motogp car? if so, i am sold.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar911 View Post
I was sure that the splitter on the safety car was not used for the same reason I'm looking for, but it looks amazing...but I found a solution to my problem thanks to !mspinster.
agreed, it looks amazing. another idea is put the 3M clear bra on your front bumper. i did it on mine and you can not see it. while it will not protect from seriously deep cuts, it will protect more than you think
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #14
viva1MVO
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Any idea if the products will be released at the same time as the project?
I'm getting impatient for a front lip!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #15
Ohcrap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva1MVO View Post
Any idea if the products will be released at the same time as the project?
I'm getting impatient for a front lip!
Press Release and dedicated website currently scheduled for August 3rd. I'll start a thread to announce the project in the next few days, but I don't think full production will begin until a few weeks later so I'm guessing the products will be available shortly thereafter. But the prototypes look fantastic so I think it'll be worth the wait.

Included will be information about the complete performance package from Custom Performance Engineering (cp-e)... holy crap, the power and sound of the setup is freaking sinister.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #16
KIYO
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

I am carrying some bricks and some piece of lumber in my GT3 when I go to unfamiliar places to avoid scuffing the bumper and the belly of the car.
Appreciate 0