BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

A/C causing major issues with my car...

Here are the specs of my car:
2011 135i N55 w/DCT
Catless Downpipe
Catback Exhaust
NO TUNE

And here's the issue:
Everytime I turn on my A/C, my engine seems to go a little haywire in 1st gear and very low RPM's. That car will start to rev like a manual (on it's own) like it's trying to save the car from stalling... and sometimes it DOES STALL.

I'm pretty sure that my downpipe has something to do with this because I know it's messing with the air/fuel ratio. Would the tune fix that? I'm about to get it in the mail any day now... Also, it's driving me nuts how the A/C compressor and the engine have so much to do with each other!

Every suggestion, comment, etc will help me!!! Thanks guys!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by goeslikeschnell View Post
2011 135i N55 w/DCT
Catless Downpipe
Catback Exhaust
NO TUNE

And here's the issue:
Everytime I turn on my A/C, my engine seems to go a little haywire in 1st gear and very low RPM's. That car will start to rev like a manual (on it's own) like it's trying to save the car from stalling... and sometimes it DOES STALL.

I'm pretty sure that my downpipe has something to do with this because I know it's messing with the air/fuel ratio. Would the tune fix that? I'm about to get it in the mail any day now... Also, it's driving me nuts how the A/C compressor and the engine have so much to do with each other!

Who did the DP install? Maybe make sure everything is lined up with it and etc?

I know that you get a code if your running a DP without a Can Tool to clear it but I doubt this code would affect the AC. You can buy a JB Can Tool to clear the code and see if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:26 AM   #3
competition
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Who did the DP install? Maybe make sure everything is lined up with it and etc?

I know that you get a code if your running a DP without a Can Tool to clear it but I doubt this code would affect the AC. You can buy a JB Can Tool to clear the code and see if it helps.
I have an OBDII Scanner and it's telling me air-fuel ratio is messed up and my car is running rich AND lean. My car is definitely trying to adapt to it. I'm crossing my fingers for the tune. DP was professionally installed and I have no doubts about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I have an OBDII Scanner and it's telling me air-fuel ratio is messed up and my car is running rich AND lean. My car is definitely trying to adapt to it. I'm crossing my fingers for the tune. DP was professionally installed and I have no doubts about it.
Hmmmm, that could be due to the emissions code from the DP as well. Try seeing if anyone in the area could bring a Can Tool to the next meet to clear your code and see if it helps then if it does all you need to do is buy the can tool.

Which DP is it? I am running the iCarbon DP with no issues. I just had my can tool plugged into the OBD on auto code delete and then a month later I got a tune. Had no issues before or after the tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 03:24 AM   #5
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

we can scan it with my CT. seriously though put your cat back on and get the car updated.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Pavetron
Rep
Drives: 135I

Did you get the latest software update? This fixed a similar problem with mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
competition
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Hmmmm, that could be due to the emissions code from the DP as well. Try seeing if anyone in the area could bring a Can Tool to the next meet to clear your code and see if it helps then if it does all you need to do is buy the can tool.

Which DP is it? I am running the iCarbon DP with no issues. I just had my can tool plugged into the OBD on auto code delete and then a month later I got a tune. Had no issues before or after the tune.
My OBDII Scanner clears the codes. Maybe my car is just having issues trying to adapt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicker View Post
we can scan it with my CT. seriously though put your cat back on and get the car updated.
I finally got it updated last week! Dealer charged me $160 because I wasn't part of the recall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavetron View Post
Did you get the latest software update? This fixed a similar problem with mine.
I was hoping it would fix mine also...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

try the intake. maybe it got the maf dirty??
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
Check the belts on the front of the engine. The problems SEEM unrelated.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
competition
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicker View Post
try the intake. maybe it got the maf dirty??
Hmm... I'll definitely check it out. I removed the InJen because I wanted to compare the stock airbox w/ aftermarket filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterfan1230 View Post
Check the belts on the front of the engine. The problems SEEM unrelated.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
2011 135i N55 w/DCT
Catless Downpipe
Catback Exhaust
NO TUNE

And here's the issue:

'

Once you've checked the recommended things if there is still an issue it might be a O2, idle speed control, or even TPS throttle position sensor.

When you turn on the AC there is drag to the engine, idle will drop.
Idle speed control should adjust idle to compensate. If it's faulty idle will be weird. If the message is sent to increase idle and the O2 is buggy then air/fuel will keep getting messed up and idle will go up/down.
TPS could also cause this if it's faulty.

O2 should send a fault code if it's going bad, but it may take a few cycles to trigger.
ISC should send a code too, but again it may take a few bad cycles.
TPS might code, but I've experienced some that won't trigger if they are partially working, and it may take some diagnostic to find it.
Though I would think that BMW would trigger this as well after it's faulty.

Post what you find.
Appreciate 0