BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Nostrathomas
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3

Are there state taxes if you import to Canada?

So I've been seriously thinking of ordering a 128i, but I've hit a bit of a snag that may or may not be an issue. I currently live in the US, but recently was offered a chance to move to Canada for a job. If so, I'd like to import my car.

I'd be buying out of state, and from what I know you get a temporary 30-day license plate from the dealer and then you usually pay the state tax at your local state DMV. Now to help save some costs, would it be possible for me to import that car in the 30-day window and not pay state tax (instead pay duty/gst etc in canada)? It would be a nice way to save 8%!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

depends upon the state

I live in Canada and have imported 4 BMW's from US into Canada. Whether or not you pay state tax depends upon the state. In Florida you must [unless shipped out of state on a truck].
1.US Customs need original title and bill of sale for 72 hours before they will allow you to export the car.
2. You must register with RIV at Cdn Customs [see www.riv.ca]
3. You must bring with you the 3 page Warranty Vehicle Inquiry from BMW dealer [this will be Recall Clearance letter for RIV]
4. Your "free" BMW maintenance program may not be honored here; I haven't checked but I can go to Syracuse or Burlington if necessary
Because you are a US resident moving to Canada, #1 above may not apply
You can PM me to continue this conversation because if you do decide to come I will help you out. Canadian BMW dealers do not like people importing cars from USA because they are so much cheaper there. Ask me about the need and cost to change an instrument cluster [NOT if you do things correctly]
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
tankus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

I imported a car form Canada to the US and one thing to remember is the clocks are all KPH not MPH so the resale value goes way down when you go to sell it
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankus View Post
I imported a car form Canada to the US and one thing to remember is the clocks are all KPH not MPH so the resale value goes way down when you go to sell it
Why does that make any difference at all?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

BMW will most likely not sell the car to you if you give them a Canadian address, so in order to get the car registered in the State you buy it in, you will likely have to pay local State taxes. You will have to pay 6.1% duty plus GST plus a few hundered dollars at the border. Then you will have to pay for a safety inspection plus a $500 BMW warranty fee plus a DRL reprogram plus a new dash unit ($1,200). Then after that you will have to pay Provincial sales tax when it gets registered in your home Province. All in all you may not be saving a lot, at least have the numbers available ahead of time.

It is also true that the GST, and PST would have to be paid in any event.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
tankus
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroxide View Post
Why does that make any difference at all?
Why wouldnt it?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
nerwal
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Tankus may have a point for BMWs imported from Canada into the US because Canadian cars only have the metric units.
But why buy a BMW in Canada for import into the US?
PDI in Canada = $2000. PDI in US = $800
And what about the "documentation fee" of $500? Non existent in the US.
Does BMW Canada think we are idiots?
Fortunately for Canadians importing BMWs from the US, the US clusters have both KM/hr and MPH on them, so should not be a big problem for resale.
All the other digital read-outs are simply switched via settings - except for the cruise control for some bizarre reason!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
tankus
Private
Rep

The reaso why i "imported" it was i moved form Toronto to Dallas. I drove my car here. doesnt change the fact the cars main clocks are in KPH and people in America are used to there clocks reading MPH. Its a perception thing. Pretty self explanatory.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Nostrathomas
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerwal View Post
PDI in Canada = $2000. PDI in US = $800
And what about the "documentation fee" of $500? Non existent in the US.
Does BMW Canada think we are idiots?
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous how all the fees stack up. I was actually quoted freight at 2300 earlier today. There were about 3500 in total....just nuts.

Thanks for all the input in this thread guys. While I understand the cluster-swap is not absolutely necessary, I have heard from a few sources that dealers don't honor the warranty unless you do it their way.....and with a new car, it's kind of important to me. I know I can save a few grand and drive down to the US every time something goes wrong, but my thinking is the peace of mind (and high resale value with a warranty) is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Nitroxide
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrathomas View Post
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous how all the fees stack up. I was actually quoted freight at 2300 earlier today. There were about 3500 in total....just nuts.

Thanks for all the input in this thread guys. While I understand the cluster-swap is not absolutely necessary, I have heard from a few sources that dealers don't honor the warranty unless you do it their way.....and with a new car, it's kind of important to me. I know I can save a few grand and drive down to the US every time something goes wrong, but my thinking is the peace of mind (and high resale value with a warranty) is worth it.
This is 100% false information. By law BMW has to perform warranty on the car in Canada. The only thing you can't get done is the included maintenance (oil changes, etc)
Appreciate 0